Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
More discoveries. NEW: Zeiss Victory SF 32

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Black Guillemot Killing!!!

Old Friday 13th May 2011, 20:07   #1
Brough Birder
Brough Part-Timer

Black Guillemot Killing!!!

Just noticed this on SB European Rarities page:

http://arnoldmeijer.wordpress.com/20...6-13-may-2011/

Sick!!!
Old Friday 13th May 2011, 20:10   #2
Phil Andrews
It's only Rock and Roller but I like it

When I went to see the Greater Sand Plover at Snettisham a dog took a Dunlin which was feeding at the water's edge.
Old Friday 13th May 2011, 20:27   #3
dan houghton

Bloody dogs.
Old Friday 13th May 2011, 21:07   #4
Kev23
Woodlarks DO exist...

Bloody dog "walkers"...
Old Friday 13th May 2011, 21:07   #5
metcow333

Bloody irresponsible dog walkers

http://olliesbirding.blogspot.com/
Old Friday 13th May 2011, 21:30   #6
Stephen Dunstan

The pictures are no fun to view but looking at the BG wasn't it inevitable that something was going to kill it or it would die slowly and horribly? If the photographer thought differently from what he saw in the field perhaps he should have tried to intervene rather than continuing to take pictures.

Stephen
Old Friday 13th May 2011, 21:46   #7
Xenospiza
Undescribed

This has been done to death (ho hum) on a Dutch forum, but when you're lying on the beach (http://www.dutchbirding.nl/gallery.p...id=4993&page=1 – not showing the photographer of the "dog picture") you really cannot get up and outrun a dog to save a guillemot (which apparently "still ran quite fast").
Old Friday 13th May 2011, 22:04   #8
Stephen Dunstan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenospiza View Post
This has been done to death (ho hum) on a Dutch forum, but when you're lying on the beach (http://www.dutchbirding.nl/gallery.p...id=4993&page=1 not showing the photographer of the "dog picture") you really cannot get up and outrun a dog to save a guillemot (which apparently "still ran quite fast").
You are probably right, but you could try rather than continue snapping.

Stephen
Old Saturday 14th May 2011, 07:54   #9
prhodes

And the bigger picture - wildlife are being squeezed into less an less:

Google: Population Matters (with Sir David Attenborough and Chris Packham amoungst a whole host of top scientists)
Old Saturday 14th May 2011, 09:33   #10
chris butterworth
aka The Person Named Above

I have to say that I witnessed the same thing on a larger scale, a few years ago. The beaches at Hoylake and West Kirby were full of dead and exhausted Dunlin (I dissected a few of the corpses and found them to be quite heavily bruised, as though they had been caught in a hail storm ) and I witnessed a man allowing his dog to chase and kill the birds ( the live ones - before anyone even thinks of suggesting they were the corpses!). When I spoke to him he just said " Well, I won't have to feed him tonight, will I?" There are times I'm really glad we have strict gun laws here in the UK.

Chris

"Before the internet, this was all fields."
Old Saturday 14th May 2011, 11:14   #11
goldenwingedwar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Dunstan View Post
The pictures are no fun to view but looking at the BG wasn't it inevitable that something was going to kill it or it would die slowly and horribly? If the photographer thought differently from what he saw in the field perhaps he should have tried to intervene rather than continuing to take pictures.

Stephen
Exactly my thinking and too be honest I'm sure soon after it would have fallen to a more natural predator like a large gull for example. If the dog was taking a healthy bird say a chick or maybe eggs then it would be a completly different matter.
Old Saturday 14th May 2011, 15:30   #12
tracker
Tom

I find those images of the dog and Guillemot extremely sickening and totally disgusting!! I also find it very disturbing the amount of dogs and their walkers taking over our beautiful parks, gardens and beaches leaving disgusting messes behind, either in the sand, paths, fields or in bags thrown into bushes; as well as increasingly menacing behaviour from dogs! This demonstrates complete disrespect for other people and animals/birds!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris butterworth View Post
I have to say that I witnessed the same thing on a larger scale, a few years ago. The beaches at Hoylake and West Kirby were full of dead and exhausted Dunlin (I dissected a few of the corpses and found them to be quite heavily bruised, as though they had been caught in a hail storm ) and I witnessed a man allowing his dog to chase and kill the birds ( the live ones - before anyone even thinks of suggesting they were the corpses!). When I spoke to him he just said " Well, I won't have to feed him tonight, will I?" There are times I'm really glad we have strict gun laws here in the UK.

Chris
Chris, I was over at Leasowe recently, near the lighthouse and I was gobsmacked to see 23 dogs between 5 people! Most were off the lead and running through the open fields flushing nesting Skylarks!

I really am very unhappy having to tread carefully through public areas, because of the amount of dog dirt! Very annoying! That, though, is for another topic!

Last edited by tracker : Saturday 14th May 2011 at 16:08.

BF Supporter 2004 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 14th May 2011, 20:28   #13
Jaff
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Dunstan View Post
You are probably right, but you could try rather than continue snapping.

Stephen
And then the irate dog owner storms over as you're attempting to save the bird from the dog by using the only means you have, physical force and then risk getting into a fight with the owner while you've got some very expensive camera gear on you or nearby that can be very easily damaged in a malicious and cowardly attack if someone felt so inclined. It's hard to standby and do nothing for sure but you have to consider the possible consequences of any and all actions you take.

Education is key and I think a topic such as this should be featured on local newscasts more regularly or a key segment on the upcoming Springwatch which could expose this kind of reckless behaviour from dog owners and remind them about the consequences of their actions and that of their dogs. I mean that'd give Chris yet another excuse to work his poodles into the show, as if he needed one that is!

Think this might need to be in a different forum though so have moved it.

BF Supporter 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 15th May 2011, 16:05   #14
Lmc3598
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris butterworth View Post

Chris
Hi
That man sounds like a disgusting horrible inconsiderate person. If I had been in that situation (and if the person was about my age) I would have to stop myself from punching them in the face!

The more sensible thing to do would be to call the police, as i believe dunlin are protected?
Old Sunday 15th May 2011, 20:43   #15
birdboybowley

Nah just get a bigger dog and set it on him, then when he's crying on the floor, tell him the same thing...at least I ain't gotta feed him tonight What a pr*ck

www.adambowleyart.com

BF Supporter 2016 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 15th May 2011, 22:14   #16
The Cumbrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaff View Post

Education is key and I think a topic such as this should be featured on local newscasts more regularly or a key segment on the upcoming Springwatch which could expose this kind of reckless behaviour from dog owners and remind them about the consequences of their actions and that of their dogs. I mean that'd give Chris yet another excuse to work his poodles into the show, as if he needed one that is!
What a good idea why don't you write and suggest it, drawing their attention to the photos?
Old Monday 16th May 2011, 13:32   #17
Jaff
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cumbrian View Post
What a good idea why don't you write and suggest it, drawing their attention to the photos?
That's the first time anyone has accused me of having a good idea!

I wouldn't know where to begin with such a thing. If anyone has suggestions or would like to take it upon themselves?

BF Supporter 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 16th May 2011, 16:22   #18
JD.1

The thing is how do you prevent it? even at holme dunes when the gate is shut i have witnessed dog owners open said gate and then drive up let the dog out leadless and then continue towards the dunes and this is supposed to be a reserve its obviously locals whom seem to think its their right !
makes it worse when they have a pair of bins with them, you would think they would stop and think a bit more!!
Old Monday 16th May 2011, 17:37   #19
The Cumbrian

Quote:

I wouldn't know where to begin with such a thing. If anyone has suggestions or would like to take it upon themselves?
There is a link for "Send a Programme idea" on the webpage:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/feedback/

If nobody else takes up the idea I will but I feel from the posts a number of you have experience (first hand) of this sort of thing, while I don't.
Old Monday 16th May 2011, 18:01   #20
JTweedie

Quote:

Producers/researchers sometimes post in the TV forum on here looking for feedback and suggestions.

They've also got a Twitter account http://twitter.com/#!/bbc_springwatch, you could post a message through that. If you don't use Twitter, I could post a message for you as it's something that is important and it's a great way of getting the message across.

Edit: Just remembered that one of their researchers opened a new thread in the TV forum not that long ago. Here's an e-mail address they provided for feedback (although they were asking for specific types of feedback, I'm sure it wouldn't cause any harm to use it) [email protected]

Last edited by JTweedie : Monday 16th May 2011 at 18:05.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: