Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
More discoveries. NEW: Zeiss Victory SF 32

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Eyes Left or Right?

Old Thursday 19th May 2011, 15:11   #1
Jaff
Registered Member

Eyes Left or Right?

Something of a two pronged query here. May seem a tad strange this but do side on images look better with the bird facing left or right or is there no difference and is it cheating too much to flip an image even if it looks better?

Take the examples, in my opinion both images look better with the birds facing left and if I were to post them that is how I would do it. If it can make a big difference in bringing out the full potential of a shot then surely it's justifiable.

The other part is if I post an image that was flipped is that something you're meant to declare, I mean it's not out and out cheating like making a composite or removing some major obstruction/distraction is it. So basically I'd like to also like to gauge some opinion on what is the kind of stuff that you should really own up to doing when you post an image.

Suggestions/thoughts?
Cheers.
AJ
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FlipExample1.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	126.6 KB
ID:	325637  Click image for larger version

Name:	FlipExample2.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	126.6 KB
ID:	325638  Click image for larger version

Name:	FlipExample3.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	325639  Click image for larger version

Name:	FlipExample4.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	325640  

BF Supporter 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 19th May 2011, 15:53   #2
fugl
BF Supporter 2020

Left facing generally looks best to me also, perhaps because I’m left-handed (or perhaps not, I really don’t know what governs these preferences). As far as reversing right-left & “improving” the background are concerned, I don’t think these need “owning up to” as long as the bird itself is left untouched. An exception, of course, would be a photo published in an ecology magazine or some such place where the background’s important.

I’ll be interested to hear what others have to say on this subject.

Last edited by fugl : Thursday 19th May 2011 at 19:15.

BF Supporter 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 19th May 2011, 16:04   #3
Adam W

I asked a similar question on here once but about painting birds, i always paint them facing left but i think thats because i'm right handed and i find it very difficult to paint them facing the other way but that said you see plenty of paintings with the birds facing the other way and i'd assume most would be painted by right handers.

So i always find photo's better if the bird is facing left but thats quite possibly because i know i'd find it much easier to draw/paint that way rather than actually making a better photo.
I dont really know why but to me if the bird is facing right it seems to be looking out of the picture but when facing left it seems to be looking into the picture but maybe thats just me.
Old Thursday 19th May 2011, 16:19   #4
NoSpringChicken

I wonder if I could get away with this one?

Ron
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	I-wonder.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	201.3 KB
ID:	325662  

BF Supporter 2010 2011 2012 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 19th May 2011, 17:02   #5
fugl
BF Supporter 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSpringChicken View Post
I wonder if I could get away with this one?
Well, perhaps not.

BF Supporter 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 19th May 2011, 18:48   #6
Ashley beolens
Breeding the next generation of birders.

It is very odd as I always prefer birds facing right (I'm right handed) I wonder if there is a trend?
Old Thursday 19th May 2011, 20:01   #7
Paul Collins

I prefer the right ones. I wouldn't say it's a problem, but of course always be honest about the alterations that you have made.
Old Thursday 19th May 2011, 20:59   #8
Roy C
Occasional bird snapper

I put the same question up a few years ago and if I remember right there were a lot of definite preferences but they ended up about 50-50. No particular preference myself though.

BF Supporter 2007 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 20th May 2011, 06:36   #9
Smudger01
Enthusiastic Amateur

I also prefer them looking to the right. I'm no expert but from a compositional point of view I think it's because we read left to Right ??? Generally though if I take them looking left I leave them as they are.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/geoffjenny/
Canon EOS 40D body - Sigma 50-500mm tele - Sigma 150mm macro - Sigma 10-20mm wide angle - Canon EF-S 17-85mm ISM - Sigma EM-140 ring flash
Take only pictures... Leave only footprints... Kill nothing but time...
Old Friday 20th May 2011, 06:50   #10
John N

I'm just happy to get a decent photo and never gave it a thought until now, but thinking about it I prefer them facing right.

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 20th May 2011, 07:29   #11
fugl
BF Supporter 2020

Looks like the "rights" are winning. Maybe it does have to do with handedness after all, since right-handers are more common than lefties. Has anyone voted "against" his handedness so far?

Old Friday 20th May 2011, 08:04   #12
NoSpringChicken

I am right handed. I have just had a quick look at my gallery and I seem to have more shots of birds facing left. Of course, the real question now might be: 'Do birds prefer to perch facing left or right?'

Ron

BF Supporter 2010 2011 2012 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 20th May 2011, 14:01   #13
Tord

Hi all

I recently followed a photo class trying to improve my skills and this topic was actually discussed.

It is more than a simple look left or right. Even though most natural objects have a L/R symmetry, we process visual information by starting in the top left corner and then moving diagonally towards the bottom right corner. We are not conscious about this and scan images this way nearly every time.

This can be taken advantage of by the photographer to compose images in ways that will be perceived in different ways (while composing the picture and to some extent in the digital lab).

Lines
In pictures there are two imaginay diagonal lines.
  • Lines from top-left to bottom right are percived more natural and will create "positive", pleasant and smooth emotions.
  • Lines from bottom-left to top-right are perceived less natural and will create "negative" tensions

Placement of subject
  • Subject in upper left corner creates a "negative" feeling of loneliness since this is the subject first we notice in the picture, and is followed by empty space.
  • Subject in bottom right creates a comforting feeling, after empty space comes the subject.
  • Subject in bottom left will be perceived as less significant since it is below the diagonal line
  • Subject in top right corner creates a feeling of being dominant since it is above the diagonal line

Then of course we have other composition rules that apply to cropping so that living objects e.g. birds look into the picture and not towards the frame.

Above could be exploited when composing pictures of birds.

/Tord

BF Supporter 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 20th May 2011, 15:35   #14
Jaff
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tord View Post
Hi all

I recently followed a photo class trying to improve my skills and this topic was actually discussed.

It is more than a simple look left or right. Even though most natural objects have a L/R symmetry, we process visual information by starting in the top left corner and then moving diagonally towards the bottom right corner. We are not conscious about this and scan images this way nearly every time.

This can be taken advantage of by the photographer to compose images in ways that will be perceived in different ways (while composing the picture and to some extent in the digital lab).

Lines
In pictures there are two imaginay diagonal lines.
  • Lines from top-left to bottom right are percived more natural and will create "positive", pleasant and smooth emotions.
  • Lines from bottom-left to top-right are perceived less natural and will create "negative" tensions

Placement of subject
  • Subject in upper left corner creates a "negative" feeling of loneliness since this is the subject first we notice in the picture, and is followed by empty space.
  • Subject in bottom right creates a comforting feeling, after empty space comes the subject.
  • Subject in bottom left will be perceived as less significant since it is below the diagonal line
  • Subject in top right corner creates a feeling of being dominant since it is above the diagonal line

Then of course we have other composition rules that apply to cropping so that living objects e.g. birds look into the picture and not towards the frame.

Above could be exploited when composing pictures of birds.

/Tord
Wow fascinating stuff there. I've just been psycho-analysed without realising it!

There does seem to be a great amount of pers. pref. with this. As it seems many of you do have a preference would you then manipulate the image to suit that preference as I would or would you not bother seeing as how it's almost 6 of one and half a dozen of the other which way a bird faces.

Although as has been suggested by Tord I wonder if with my Tree Sparrow I prefer it facing left cos of the diagonal situation the bird creates running from top left to bottom right. I admit that with regards to my Dunlin I was less bothered and I wonder if it's because of this very reason. Oh crumbs I'm going to need to see a shrink after all this!

Oh and BTW I'm right-handed.

BF Supporter 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 20th May 2011, 17:04   #15
Tord

Hi again

I just realize that I forgot to provide feedback regarding the photos and trying to apply what I learned:
- Sparrow: looking left. The bird should be re-positioned by, if possible, restoring quite some of the green background that I guess has been cropped away and also restoring a little to the left. I took the liberty to attach a mockup outlining what I mean, apologies for manipulating your picture.
- Wader: tougher call. It depends on what other elements are present but cropped away in the original picture. Can you share the original?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	FlipExample2-modified.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	194.4 KB
ID:	325935  

BF Supporter 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 20th May 2011, 19:25   #16
John P
Usually on a different wavelength

Quote:
Originally Posted by fugl View Post
Looks like the "rights" are winning. Maybe it does have to do with handedness after all, since right-handers are more common than lefties. Has anyone voted "against" his handedness so far?
They have now; I'm mostly* a leftie and prefer my birds looking right.

*Left handed but right footed.
Old Saturday 21st May 2011, 17:28   #17
tracker
Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by John P View Post
Left handed but right footed.
Im right handed and left footed!

Adam, there are rules involved with artistic presentation; some can be broken; some, when observed, make so much difference to a final image. In some cases, when theres a blatant ignoring of a certain rule/principle then that can give a sense of unease (which could be what the artist wants to communicate); in some cases, simply because the artist/photographer isnt aware of a principle.

Tords recap was very interesting; especially the part about entering an image from top left working down to bottom right.

Personal taste comes into most things, certainly within art, but its not a good enough excuse for completely ignoring some basics first. I see artistic expression as very similar to language expression; a grasp of sentence structure, learning a, b, c's etc goes a long way to then being able to develop and open up the language for personal expression, eg for writing poetry. Without a grasp of simple rules, such writing would not be possible; to me, art is the same. Then, whether writer or artist, poet or photographer, breaking the rules, at the right time, can be done for a required impact!

Anyway, I know you like to break lots of rules!

ps...theres some 'rules' for image editing too; even where theres 'personal taste'!

Last edited by tracker : Saturday 21st May 2011 at 17:40.

BF Supporter 2004 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 22nd May 2011, 05:55   #18
wildphoto
Wildphoto

Adam, I'm not a poster on "threads" it's a little alien to me, but noticed this when looking at the classifieds.
I actually do a bit painting and drawing have done for many years, being right handed it is natural for me to sketch my subject as I view, looking to the left, e.g. drawing the contours of a face is easier, to someone who is left handed it may be the opposite. However, whichever orientation the original, a good tip is to look at the mirror image, if it looks right the wrong way round so to speak, then the composition is spot on.
No reason not to flip an image in photography, newspapers do it all the time to make it fit the copy, one drawback for me though, is I always remember which direction the light source was coming from, and that is also flipped it seems to make the image look wrong.
http://davidcooksonimages.blogspot.com/
Old Sunday 22nd May 2011, 17:43   #19
Jaff
Registered Member

Thanks everyone. Certainly some interesting input there for me to chew over. I don't routinely flip every image I take but sometimes when I'm trying to crop a shot I'm never happy with the composition and then I flip it and it'll take on a whole new perspective that meets my approval. Strange as that may seem given that everything is identical but just facing the other way.

Although for some reason I've completely 'flipped' and I now seem to think that my Tree Sparrow looks better facing right! That said this nearly identical one I put on yonks ago is a flipped image and still most definitely in my mind looks better that way http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/sho...7/ppuser/42340.
I suppose the only conclusion I can draw is it entirely depends on the image itself but I'd urge people to just try it with their own images while they are processing just to see if it makes a difference or not. You might be surprised.

Cheers all.

PS not interested in a nice macro lens are you David?

Old Sunday 29th May 2011, 10:00   #20
Silverwolf

I'd say the Dunlin looks better facing left. When its facing right it seems to look turn its turning away in my opinion. A strange illusion going on here.

To the contrary, I think the Tree Sparrow looks better facing right.

I personally don't pay much attention to the direction, but I can agree that some pictures look "better" flipped.

I had a bit of a dilemma with a bird I got recently. It was on the end of a branch hanging down and was upside-down, but it looks a lot better when flipped vertically. The problem is that the branch does not look natural because of the leaves pointing straight up, as it was one of those Weeping Willow style trees (Ecalyptus to be precise).

Last edited by Silverwolf : Sunday 29th May 2011 at 10:05.
Old Saturday 2nd July 2011, 19:06   #21
impotentspider

I can appreciate some of the waffle that photographic judges come out with such as "Highlights in a corner will drag your eye away" or "The base of a picture needs to be darker than the top to give it some stability" or "you've cut the landscape in two with that wall and theres no gate for me to walk though"...... But, when it comes to subjects such as birds etc that are almost filling the frame and "in your face" I dont think it matters which way the beast is facing, if its dominant enough in the frame then your eye will go straight to it, you wont start at the left and move to the right because you've already seen it, I think its more important to give the feeling that the bird has space to "move into" with careful cropping.
Besides, if you flip the image its not what you saw and is no longer a true Natural History shot

PS; thats a very nice spuggie shot Jaff.

Last edited by impotentspider : Saturday 2nd July 2011 at 19:08.
Old Saturday 2nd July 2011, 19:39   #22
Musoman
PETE - Nikon Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by impotentspider View Post
But, when it comes to subjects such as birds etc that are almost filling the frame and "in your face" I dont think it matters which way the beast is facing, if its dominant enough in the frame then your eye will go straight to it, you wont start at the left and move to the right because you've already seen it, I think its more important to give the feeling that the bird has space to "move into" with careful cropping.
Good call Spider - totally agree
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: