Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
More discoveries. NEW: Zeiss Victory SF 32

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Digital Photo Backup Storage

Old Thursday 5th August 2004, 15:22   #1
janine13

Digital Photo Backup Storage

Hey guys,

Sorry if this has been addressed before but I need some advice. I want to save copies of my digital photos in case my computer is struck by lightening or some other similar calamity. Since I have gone DSLR it has become much too tedious to burn CD's as I have several gigs worth of images (and adding more every day! )

I am considering an external hard drive, but I have heard scary things about them. I am also looking into a DVD burner but there are like a million types of DVD burning and it confuses me so I have no clue what I would get. I am interested in hearing how the other DSLR users save backup images. Thanks!

BF Supporter 2004 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 5th August 2004, 15:29   #2
CJW
Hit-and-run WUM

Flashtrax (40GB) and then CD as needed.
Old Thursday 5th August 2004, 16:21   #3
feather
Soaring in the wind

DVDs are one of the best ways for permanent photo storage, as long as you get a reliable burner and bug-free burning software. Higher capacity multi-layer DVDs are on the way for many more gigs of storage. If you're trying to avoid DVDs, a second internal hard drive used solely for backups is a very good choice. Hard drives cost less than US$1 per GB now, and it's almost impossible for both drives to fail simultaneously. Even if one fails, data recovery is usually possible, though not cheap.
Old Thursday 5th August 2004, 17:25   #4
gusford

Any half decent DVD RW is the best thing now. I also use Nixvue when travelling.
Old Thursday 5th August 2004, 18:49   #5
nigelblake
don't re member

I use two Maxtor external hard drives for storage, they are 'firewire' connected, (you can get USB 1 & 2 connection units also) they are available up to 300 gig, I back-up my images to both. What is also good, is that they can connect to my laptop too, so it is possible to store to one or both of them whilst on a trip, this saves the long job of downloading once I get back home, I can just plug the unit into my main PC and open images for editing. Maxtor units are not much larger than the average paperback book.
Old Thursday 5th August 2004, 19:49   #6
assayer

Like Nigel, I use Maxtor external hard drives, but I archive to DVD+R (2 copies). DVD+R only because it was supplied with the HP computer a couple of years ago. One of the dual format dvd burners would likely be my choice today.
Old Thursday 5th August 2004, 21:30   #7
christineredgate
Winner of the Copeland Wildlife Photographer of the Year Comp 2009/2010

Janine I save my images on a cd.I print off sheets of the small passport size pics,then put them onto a cd,putting the date on the printed copies so I can match up the cd,s to the printed sheets.CD,s are quite cheap,so at least I know I have all the decent pics stored.Our hard drive went up the swannee 2 yrs ago,and we lost all our dog photos,,I was really upset as we had lost the dogs,a year previous,so now I do not take any chances.Once the images are on the pc,ones that I really want to keep,I make sure I transfer them onto a cd.

Ride Free,Fly Free.
Christine

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 6th August 2004, 12:34   #8
janine13

Thanks for the replies everyone. I am leaning toward the Maxtor drive, it seems the easiest way to do it.

BF Supporter 2004 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: