• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hooded crow or hybrid (Scotland) (1 Viewer)

sarahlouise84

I was at Musselburgh (East coast of Scotland) this weekend and got excited when I thought I had seen a hooded crow. A local birder said that there is a hybrid population in the area so I wanted to get an opinion on this bird. I have more photos if needed. Thanks!

Attachments

• crow.jpg
    crow.jpg
    349.8 KB · Views: 243
  • P1000050crop.jpg
    P1000050crop.jpg
    416.3 KB · Views: 152
For me its not a pure Hoodie-there is quite a lot of black along the back edge of the mantle and a lot of black on the belly

sarahlouise84

These hybrid birds are not that uncommon in and around Edinburgh. I have seen over a dozen different birds this year including the bird that you photographed this weekend at Musselburgh. Here's a shot of it from March 2011. I have shots of a variety of Edinburgh hybrid crows elsewhere on my blog - click on the "Hooded Crow" tab or the "hybrid" tab and you'll see some of them, though I have not ever gathered all the shots together. Whether any of these birds are first generation hybrids or not is not known, or whether there are just some Hoodie genes in the local population that surface in one in 100 birds...

Geoff

I was told by a local birder in the Highlands that anything east of and below a line from Inverness to Glasgow is almost always an hybrid.

Thanks all, it's great to have that information. I have not seen many hooded crows (Ireland/ West coast of Scotland) and for some reason had not considered hybrids before this sighting. I've seen duck and geese hybrids before which are interesting but otherwise my hybrid sightings have been limited. Thanks for all your help.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back