Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
More discoveries. NEW: Zeiss Victory SF 32

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Nikon Service- Good, but slow

Old Tuesday 1st October 2019, 17:12   #1
wdc

Nikon Service- Good, but slow

Back in July I noticed that one of the objective cover straps on a pair of 8x42 MHG's had become so torn that it was about to fall off. I contacted Nikon via email, which ended up with me dealing with Nikon Canada for some reason. They were willing to sell me a pair of objective covers, but when I told them that I lived in California, they promptly said they could not ship to the US (!). However they did give me contact information for Nikon USA (1-800-645-6687 and/or parts.nikonusa.com) Over the phone, a customer service rep. told me he thought they could replace them for free, and took down my address, telling me he would submit the request to their customer relations dept.

Yesterday, almost exactly 2 months later, they showed up in the mail. So, thanks Nikon! I guess all's well that ends well. Just took a lot longer than I figured on, and I had no idea whether they had approved the request, so had pretty much given up on getting a set from them.

-Bill
Old Thursday 3rd October 2019, 13:22   #2
chill6x6
BF Supporter 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc View Post
Back in July I noticed that one of the objective cover straps on a pair of 8x42 MHG's had become so torn that it was about to fall off. I contacted Nikon via email, which ended up with me dealing with Nikon Canada for some reason. They were willing to sell me a pair of objective covers, but when I told them that I lived in California, they promptly said they could not ship to the US (!). However they did give me contact information for Nikon USA (1-800-645-6687 and/or parts.nikonusa.com) Over the phone, a customer service rep. told me he thought they could replace them for free, and took down my address, telling me he would submit the request to their customer relations dept.

Yesterday, almost exactly 2 months later, they showed up in the mail. So, thanks Nikon! I guess all's well that ends well. Just took a lot longer than I figured on, and I had no idea whether they had approved the request, so had pretty much given up on getting a set from them.

-Bill
WOW! That's quite a wait for objective covers! LOL

BF Supporter 2017 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 12th October 2019, 00:06   #3
CO_west

I can't figure Nikon out. There are posts all over the web with a wide range of experiences with their customer service, ranging from very good to very poor. With their warranty change in the US I wonder if service quality will change.
Old Sunday 13th October 2019, 23:31   #4
bluespiderweb
Great Grey Looking Out

Wow, Bill, that sounds like a very slow response time, but at least someone cared enough to follow through on it from Nikon and got you what you wanted. It does seem often these days that multiple tries are too often necessary to get things resolved with many companies today, though it does seem that they want to help you, only it's not easy for them either, sometimes to get it done. I wish that more companies either acted like Amazon.com in their customer service operations, or possibly Amazon contracted out their customer service departments to other companies who are in need of a model to work from. But even Amazon is not perfect; more of a matter maybe of growing too quickly to keep up sometimes for them as well.

Nothing is perfect, and nothing is static. The world still revolves and evolves, even if we liked it the way it used to be. Who are we to argue with progress?! ; ) As an old guy, sometimes I just want the world to stop long enough for me to jump off, when I've had enough fun that day. It seems those days come a bit more often than they used to before. Just evolution and old bones, I guess.

My only dealing with Nikon service was a repeated attempt just to tighten the hinge on an SE 8x32 to proper tolerances. The 1st time they torqued them so tight, it wasn't funny. The next time sending them out, they got it right. Not an endorsement for proper service, for sure.

BF Supporter 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: