• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Two Months of Lifers Down Under (2 Viewers)

Nice report and photos Delia

Nick - if you make it to Australia you can get Victoria's Riflebird at Cassowary Lodge near Cairns as well as the Cassowary. If lucky can be viewed in luxury over a nice breakfast.
It is Magnificent Riflebird that needs a trip up to the tip or over to PNG.

Thanks very much Dave,

That's great info. In fact I had been looking at this place....................

http://rainforest-australia.com/bird.html

But I'll note this place too.

Apologies again Delia.

No worries Nick... it's sort of connected, so not really off topic.

Tygum Park

24 September 2019

Judy accompanied us to Tygum Park, rather attractive parkland in town, with a large lake (actually a wide section of the Logan River); it held many Black Swans, Maned Duck (or Australian Wood Duck), Eurasian Coots and Australian Pelicans.

Wandering through to a marshy area we passed a female Magpie-Lark before finding some female and juvenile Superb Fairywrens and an Intermediate Egret. A Peregrine Falcon flew over too.

But the main object of this trip was to see Little Corella.... a couple of trees full of them roosting. I got this picture of one of the trees that held a large group.

Back at home Ken called me as a Scaly-breasted Parakeet had come in. He though I might see it again, but I never did and I didn't see one elsewhere, so this poor image was the only one I got.

Attachments

• BF Black Swan thread.jpg
    BF Black Swan thread.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 31
  • BF Eurasian Coot thread.jpg
    BF Eurasian Coot thread.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 32
  • BF Maned Duck thread.jpg
    BF Maned Duck thread.jpg
    244.1 KB · Views: 43
  • BF Little Corella thread.jpg
    BF Little Corella thread.jpg
    255.1 KB · Views: 59
  • BF Magpie-Lark thread.jpg
    BF Magpie-Lark thread.jpg
    267.9 KB · Views: 45
The Pelicans appeared to be fishing, not really too sure what was going on with them.

Attachments

• BF Superb Fairywren female thread.jpg
    BF Superb Fairywren female thread.jpg
    261.5 KB · Views: 79
  • BF Peregrine Falcon thread.jpg
    BF Peregrine Falcon thread.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 57
  • BF Australian Pelicans fishing thread.jpg
    BF Australian Pelicans fishing thread.jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 55
  • BF Roosting Little Corellas thread.jpg
    BF Roosting Little Corellas thread.jpg
    396.9 KB · Views: 55
  • BF Scaley-breasted Lorikeet thread.jpg
    BF Scaley-breasted Lorikeet thread.jpg
    353.8 KB · Views: 65
More lovely pics Delia! I've seen Dalmatian and Great White Pelicans fish like that here, they form a circle and slowly close in - who says they're bird-brained?! Keep it coming Lass!

Chris

Thanks Chris/Peter, I thought it was something like that.

Mount Coot-tha and Brisbane Botanical Gardens

25 September 2019

So the following day found us winding our way up to the look out at Mount Coot-tha and what a fine view over Brisbane could be had too!!!

But before I'd even got to see the view a Pied Currawong and Australian Magpie were seen. (Beginning to go off black and white birds.... there's so many of them there which I found very confusing; it took me ages to begin to start to get to grips with them all LOL).

There's a rather nice cafe at the top and an Australian Brushturkey wanders around there entertaining the visitors.

... and a picture of me, just to prove I was actually there and it wasn't a dream!

Attachments

• BF Pied Currawong thread.jpg
    BF Pied Currawong thread.jpg
    277.2 KB · Views: 54
  • BF Pied Magpie thread.jpg
    BF Pied Magpie thread.jpg
    357.5 KB · Views: 45
  • BF Brisbane view thread.jpg
    BF Brisbane view thread.jpg
    184.9 KB · Views: 56
  • BF Me overlooking Brisbane thread.jpg
    BF Me overlooking Brisbane thread.jpg
    184.5 KB · Views: 111
Brisbane Botanical Gardens

We then drove back down the hill and visited the Brisbane Botanical Gardens.

Entering the visitor centre I thought I'd buy a card for my sister, as she loves plants and trees and visiting such places. However, they only had three cards for sale, one showing the tops of some trees (non-native) another showing a woman's hand holding a tree nut and the last the glass domed roof of the Fernery! Not at all what she would have been interested in, so I left it. It appears few people in Australia send postcards nowadays!

Anyway, we went into the Fernery, which was a beautiful and interesting building. On the path round it was a Water Dragon (which is called either Australian or Eastern).

I took a picture of Ken and Judy in there. Don't they look great... such a lovely and welcoming couple. The fish pool has Barcoo Grunter (never heard of them before)!

We moved on past the lake where Brisbane Short-necked Turtle have set up home, along with another, rather larger water dragon. In the water was a Hardhead (also affectionately called a White-eyed Duck).

Round the other side of the lake we came across some Ibis, which seem to roost in the trees there, also a rather handsome Brushturkey (well I think his mother would agree), a Little Black Cormorant... and the star of the show a rather beautiful Sulphur-crested Cockatoo !

Attachments

• BF Ken and Judy thread.jpg
    BF Ken and Judy thread.jpg
    345.1 KB · Views: 99
  • BF Australian Water Dragon thread.jpg
    BF Australian Water Dragon thread.jpg
    263.9 KB · Views: 43
  • BF Water Dragon thread.jpg
    BF Water Dragon thread.jpg
    294 KB · Views: 43
  • BF Brisbane Short-necked Tortoise thread.jpg
    BF Brisbane Short-necked Tortoise thread.jpg
    240.8 KB · Views: 36
  • BF Hardhead thread.jpg
    BF Hardhead thread.jpg
    254 KB · Views: 42
The Cockatoo was chewing at something he was holding in his foot, a nut maybe. I don't know it was too high to see properly.

Attachments

• BF Australian Ibis thread.jpg
    BF Australian Ibis thread.jpg
    427.4 KB · Views: 36
  • BF Australian Brushturkey thread.jpg
    BF Australian Brushturkey thread.jpg
    236.8 KB · Views: 38
  • BF Sulphur-crested Cockatoo thread.jpg
    BF Sulphur-crested Cockatoo thread.jpg
    212.2 KB · Views: 51
Eddie Santagiuliana's Way

26 September 2019

The figs had obviously ripened, as before setting off that day, Australasian Figbird came in to feed on them. I found it difficult to take my eyes of them, there was so much action.

First, though, we called in at the Black Swamp Wetlands, for my first sighting of Fruit Bats, there is a large roost there. Wonderful - I so rarely get to see any bats here; I didn't know Fruit Bats were so big.

Arriving at Eddie Santagiuliana's Way entrance, I was intrigued and amused by the artwork... just had to photograph it, so sorry for digressing;): Eddie Santagiuliana Way Cleveland | Must Do Brisbane

Wandering through I got more and more frustrated with myself, as I just couldn't see the birds Ken and Judy were pointing out to me.

I did, eventually see a stunning Golden Whistler and Red-backed Fairywren.

Superb Fairywren escaped being photographed, as did both Grey Fantail and Rufous Fantail. I did get a very oof images of both of them though, hiding behind twigs and grass!

A Royal Spoonbill flew over.

Rather an attractive place this

Attachments

• BF Australian Figbird male thread.jpg
    BF Australian Figbird male thread.jpg
    288.4 KB · Views: 49
  • BF Australian Figbird female  thread.jpg
    BF Australian Figbird female thread.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 46
  • BF Fruit Bat roost thread.jpg
    BF Fruit Bat roost thread.jpg
    303.3 KB · Views: 50
  • BF Eddie Santagiuliana's Way artwork thread.jpg
    BF Eddie Santagiuliana's Way artwork thread.jpg
    465.3 KB · Views: 72
  • BF Red-winged Fairywren thread.jpg
    BF Red-winged Fairywren thread.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:
Juvenile Magpie was easy in the grass though, as was the larger Torresian Crow LOL.

Attachments

• BF Golden Whistler thread.jpg
    BF Golden Whistler thread.jpg
    246.3 KB · Views: 44
  • BF Australian Magpie juvenile thread.jpg
    BF Australian Magpie juvenile thread.jpg
    378.7 KB · Views: 40
  • BF Torresian Crow thread.jpg
    BF Torresian Crow thread.jpg
    231.5 KB · Views: 37
Thanks Chris.... all the fairywrens are stunning LOL

Thanks so much Rich. I rather run out of superlatives!

No I didn't pick up the P900 until the 4 October, this was my Fuji Finepix HS50, which I used mostly in Sports mode, continuous shooting.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back