Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
More discoveries. NEW: Zeiss Victory SF 32

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

More Spring Migrants!

Old Monday 28th April 2003, 13:26   #1
Tammie

Talking More Spring Migrants!

Good Morning Forum!

I'm so happy this morning! I looked out the window and mixed in with the grackles, redwinged blackbirds, rusty blackbirds and starlings was three white throated sparrows and a fox sparrow! Yippee! Last April, I saw the fox sparrows for the very first time and only two of them so hopefully, this spring I'll get more. I also have American tree sparrows and a vesper's sparrow. So far so good!

Old Wednesday 30th April 2003, 03:11   #2
Sylvia

Tammie,

It was a great year in my area for Fox Sparrows. I had up to 6 at one time and 4 of them stayed around for about 2 weeks. In previous years, i felt very fortunate if i saw one or 2 under the feeders for a couple days!

I also heard of other people in central New York who had LARGE groups of Fox Sparrows. So hopefully they're all on their way to your neck of the woods now!

Have fun watching.
Sylvia
Old Wednesday 30th April 2003, 20:30   #3
columbidae

I had the occasional fox sparrow under my feeder this winter, along with of course plenty of white-throated sparrows. I'm glad to see they made it to Canada safe and sound, and look forward to their return.

Speaking of migrants, I finally got a ruby-throated hummingbird yesterday, and it's now stopping by regularly.
Old Thursday 1st May 2003, 00:07   #4
Tammie

I'm hoping the hummers will be here at their regular time, the end of May, but I'm concerned about the cold temps we're still getting. It's still hitting easily -5C at night, sometimes cooler. Anyone know if that will keep the hummers away?
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: