• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swaro ATS65 HD objective lens filter (1 Viewer)

Softsfan

Anybody found a filter that screws onto the objective end of the Swaro to protect the 65 lens? I just know I am going to loose the plastic dustcap that came with the scope when I pull off the stay-on case endcap in a mad rush to track an interesting bird.

I want one too to protect the main glass. It may decrease the quality but I'd rather save the main objective glass.

I enquired about the threads and Swaro said they are nothing. Methinks that is suspect.

I bought a UV filter for the ATS80HD from Jessops (82mm). I believe I paid around £46 for it. Freom what I recollect the thread size is given in the manual that comes with the scope.

Yeh, my Swaro ATS65HD manual says "Objective filter thread M67x0.75"... whatever that means. If you find what you're looking for over there, let me know, eh? I could probably use one too: if anybody's gonna lose part of his scope, it's probably me.

Actually Charles, I found a Jessops catalogue and they do 67mm Skylight/UV filters for £16.99 for both types.

I think the UV would be best, what do you guys think?

The blurb below these says . . . 'The primary purpose of a Skylight/UV filter is to absorb UV haze in landscape photographs but since these filters have no discernable effect in other circumstances, it is good practice to leave them on your lenses at all times. As well as being there when needed, they will protect your valuable camera lens from the elements and accidential scratching.' . . . . That sells it to me!

Thanks Andrew, I will ask Swaro which filter (Skylight or UV) they recommend and let you know if I get a response. If they are only 17 quid then that sounds like good insurance against objective lens damage. I suppose there is a slight trade-off in useful light absorption and reflection, but I think this is only around 5%.

Oops, found the website, but can't understand the jargon. Do me a BIG favor and give me the catalogue number when you find it, would you please?

Charles, in outdoor SLR photography using old tech film rather than digital, there are two common filters used to protect the lens: UV and Skylight.

According to Hoya (major filter manufacturer), the skylight one reduces the excessive bluish glare that frequently occurs in outdoor photography, especially in open shade under a clear, blue sky. The absorbtion peak is in the range which corresponds to the film's green spectrum. This means improved colour balance and clarity. Also keeps skin tones free of coloured reflections from nearby objects such as the shade of trees.

However, when used with digital technology, where the non-linear characteristics of film are irrelevant, this may have an undesirable effect. I suspect that the UV (ultra-violet) filter would do less visible filtering, but I will ask Swaro. At any rate you can always use software like Photoshop to tweak the colours. All I'm looking for is lens protection so I want the most transparent linear filtering.

The Jesspos own cat number for their UV filter is JESUV67 (made in Japan, so you may be able to source locally). Remember this part is for a 65mm scope - they also do a bunch of other sizes and manufacturers.

Great, SF-- thanks very much for the explanation and I'll see if I can get one ordered. I don't think Swarovski is going to tell us as much as you already have.

Hang on, are filters for cameras built with the thread on the inside of the ring?

If so that is no good for the Swaro.

I wonder if we should be able to get the protective plastic swarovski cap to fit on the filter?

I am picking one up this week if they have it in stock, do you want to wait and see how I get on with it?

Do you have a fold over /push on type cover for the objective lens on your stay on case? If so then get a round disc of thick hard clear plastic sheet. Sand it down to remove glare and attach it to the inside of this cover and you have a permanent glass protector in the stay on case's cap. (Will attach a pic.)

Swarovski's lens cap is a joke. Cheap plastic rubbish. Way below the standard of the rest of the product. The hold-on tab falls out if you look at it sideways, the cap falls off the lens at the slightest provacation: it's not worth bothering with. I'm surprised that they haven't come up with something more suited to the Swarovski reputation.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back