Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
More discoveries. NEW: Zeiss Victory SF 32

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Is a Costa Rica or Belize Birding Trip doable on a budget of 1K U.S.?

Old Wednesday 11th July 2007, 15:43   #1
nightheron28
Exterminate! Exterminate! Exxxtttteeeerrrrmmmiinate !!

Is a Costa Rica or Belize Birding Trip doable on a budget of 1K U.S.?

Just wondering if either of these places are doable on that budget? Is there a doable tour for 1K from the U.S. that would need to include Airfare.

Thanks in advance for any info.
Old Wednesday 11th July 2007, 17:52   #2
Edward woodwood

I went to CR in 2006, once i was in Costa Rica I spent very little indeed. Accomodation and food are very cheap:

$5 a night in Monteverde
$10 a night at La Georgina
Carara was 'expensive' at $20 but that's the only on the spot accommodation

food is ridiculously cheap if you eat out. Or you could buy fruit, cheese and bread locally etc for very little indeed

went to Belize in 2005 - a very similar story. Even on the Cays, the accommodation as cheap. Public transport in both countries is amazingly cheap

Tim

Last edited by Edward woodwood : Wednesday 11th July 2007 at 18:00.
Old Thursday 12th July 2007, 02:20   #3
nightheron28
Exterminate! Exterminate! Exxxtttteeeerrrrmmmiinate !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Allwood View Post
I went to CR in 2006, once i was in Costa Rica I spent very little indeed. Accomodation and food are very cheap:

$5 a night in Monteverde
$10 a night at La Georgina
Carara was 'expensive' at $20 but that's the only on the spot accommodation

food is ridiculously cheap if you eat out. Or you could buy fruit, cheese and bread locally etc for very little indeed

went to Belize in 2005 - a very similar story. Even on the Cays, the accommodation as cheap. Public transport in both countries is amazingly cheap

Tim
If you don't mind and you have the time could you tell me were you flew into, were you stayed and what you did each day? It would be so helpful!! Thanks!
Old Thursday 12th July 2007, 15:18   #4
ButeoGER1
CR. Biologist

hi nightheron28,
just, like Tim said, here in Costa Rica is ridiculously cheap (ja ja) however it's a really nice nice place to birding trip... u can go to alot of interesting places but it's depend that u really want to do or wacth in this case, Monteverde, Sarapiquí, Osa, and the mangrove in the pacific side are excelent to birding, i'm already in the atlantic slope, near to la Virgen in Sarapiquí,very nice and quit place, and nice peaople too (very friendly)
if u want more details about a specific topic be free to contac me , i'll try to help you
regards

buteoger
Old Monday 16th July 2007, 23:19   #5
tomjenner
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightheron28 View Post
If you don't mind and you have the time could you tell me were you flew into, were you stayed and what you did each day? It would be so helpful!! Thanks!
Here is a link to the excellent thread that Tim wrote for birdforum. Its well worth the read, even if those that don't plan to visit Costa Rica. (http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=56266)
Another area that is even cheaper than Costa Rica and Belize and really good for birds, is Honduras. Whichever place you visit, you will have a great time.

Tom
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: