Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
More discoveries. NEW: Zeiss Victory SF 32

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Camera and Bins accessible at the same time?

Old Monday 17th September 2007, 19:45   #1
CCRII

Camera and Bins accessible at the same time?

What do you use so that you can have your bins and camera accessible when your birding? I was able to use one of those bino harnesses with the bins attached by one loop on the left side (instead of 2 loops like normal) while my camera was hanging over my left shoulder. This got fatiguing though and I had to drape the camera over my right shoulder which is much stronger. I also had a Lowepro Slingshot draped over my right shoulder which held various supplies.

Tell me about your setups.

Thanks.
Old Monday 17th September 2007, 21:24   #2
postcardcv
Super Moderator
BF Supporter 2020

Personally I have my bins round my neck with my camera and main lens on a tripod over my right shoulder. I then have a rucksack on my back with other camera gear and my scope in. My bins are fairly light so I can easily use them one handed and it only takes a few seconds to set the tripod down to take a shot. The only think that's slow is getting other bits out of the bag.

If I'm travelling light I'l have my bins round my neck and my camera with a 100-400 lens on one shoulder.

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 17th September 2007, 21:51   #3
Wayland

I have a shoulder bag hanging across body on my right-hand side with scope/tripod and other bits inside and across the same shoulder my camera in a pouch, which sits nicely on top of the bag. My bins are normal around the neck.
When i need to spring into action and tack a fast photo i just swing the pouch in front of me, pull the camera out and i'm ready to go. Because the strap is attached to the pouch and not the camera i can just pull the camera out without the strap getting caught up with my bins strap. With a little practice it works fine and i have camera in hand within seconds.
Old Monday 24th September 2007, 11:04   #4
davem

Hi CCRII, as you're based in the US I'm sure you're aware of Op/tech and their range of straps.

Have a look at their Reporter Strap and see if this offers you a solution...

HTH,

Dave.
Old Thursday 4th October 2007, 06:55   #5
hollis_f

I have my bins around my neck and my camera in my right hand - with a wrist loop attached. If I need to use both hands on the bins I just let the camera dangle. I'm sure it looks a bit scary, letting all that expensive gear dangle from a plastic strap, but that's what insurance is for.

Photography Gear - Website

BF Supporter 2007 2008 2009 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: