• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Winter Holidays (1 Viewer)

Hedgeland

Just thought I would get some opinions of possible good winter holiday destinations.

The holiday would need to have some bird interest for me but also enough of something else (some warmth/culture/food etc) to keep the wife sweet (a non birder).

I am hoping to go to Tunisia in November but if finances ok I hope to go somewhere else in January - any suggestions?

cheers
H

I went to Trinidad & Tobago in January 2007 and it was an ideal place for a mixed birding/non-birding holiday. Loads of good birding around the hotel grounds early in the morning for me, and my non-birding wife enjoyed the beautiful, uncrowded beaches and the snorkelling (as did I).

Just thought I would get some opinions of possible good winter holiday destinations.

An idea of budget would be useful - are we talking moderate, eg some fine Spanish destinations, slightly higher, superb South Africa, or way up the top end - New Zealand is said to be very nice at that time ;)

thanks for responses

Most likely to be at the cheaper end of the spectrum - (unless i forget Tunisia and have one larger holiday).

I know the misses would prefer two seperate ones though as she likes to get away.

How about the Gambia? There are some reasonably priced packages available, plenty of sunshine, fair bit of culture and other entertainment, and just a little bit of birding too.

Stay in a hotel like the senegambia and you could get a fair bird list in the grounds alone - add in a couple of morning excursions with a suitable guide and you will clock up a good number of lifers as well.

HTH

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back