• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Binocular Journal (2 Viewers)

I took my Grandsons out yesterday to the Red Rock Audubon event at the Henderson Bird Preserve here in Nevada. We had a great time, we saw a Great Horned Owl which was awesome, kingfishers, warblers, egrets, and frogs. The kids did really well. I thought they'd get bored but they were engaged and interested most of the time. They want to go again! I had my Kite Bonelli 2.0 both 8x42 and 10x42. My grandsons were using my Nikon EDG 8x32 and Meopta B1 10x42.

The Swaro's ability to pick out slightly more detail was probably down to the slightly greater magnification, I would think. Well done with the Barbary Falcon!

Nope; with all respect the image was slightly but noticeably brighter. That would be down to the x42 compared to x32 objectives though.

Last weekend it was cold at daybreak and the old Leitz kept fogging up; telling me it was now that time of the year for the classic porros to be put away. So this morning I took the Plastic Alpha with me, and shot forward about 50 years into the future. Very bright, white, super clean and super sharp image that was easy to tweak into deadly perfect focus in an urban setting; being able to use it with glasses held everything far enough from my eyes that there was no fogging. Just what's needed for winter UK conditions really. I saw both pairs I was after - though there wasn't a great deal of activity, possibly because it was so cold. The highlight of the day was seeing the juvenile still hanging around the first territory attempt a high-flying pigeon. These contests, between two closely matched opponents and with the predator having no advantage in height, are some of the most spectacular to watch, especially when you are not too far away and your target is well lit on a bright sunny morning like today. Unfortunately for the young huntress her prey waited till she was on the far side of her "ring" (the upward circle she was making to gain height) before clapping on the pace and speeding out of range. She kept up the chase for a bit but, experienced enough to know that some pigeons are not catchable, gave up after about 100m or so.

The only issue I experienced (no fault of the binocular) was that it was so cold early in the day that despite gloves my hands were shaking. I'll bring thicker gloves and a 7x next time.

My grandsons were using my Nikon EDG 8x32 and Meopta B1 10x42.

The lucky lads! I hope they were suitably appreciative at being let loose with alpha class gear by their very generous granddad! If I ever get to that stage the scamps will be issued beat up 8x30 porros ... although I'd imagine by then young eyes would see better with the Oberkochen then I would with an Ubervid, hah!

Last edited:
Nope; with all respect the image was slightly but noticeably brighter. That would be down to the x42 compared to x32 objectives though.

Last weekend it was cold at daybreak and the old Leitz kept fogging up; telling me it was now that time of the year for the classic porros to be put away. So this morning I took the Plastic Alpha with me, and shot forward about 50 years into the future. Very bright, white, super clean and super sharp image that was easy to tweak into deadly perfect focus in an urban setting; being able to use it with glasses held everything far enough from my eyes that there was no fogging. Just what's needed for winter UK conditions really. I saw both pairs I was after - though there wasn't a great deal of activity, possibly because it was so cold. The highlight of the day was seeing the juvenile still hanging around the first territory attempt a high-flying pigeon. These contests, between two closely matched opponents and with the predator having no advantage in height, are some of the most spectacular to watch, especially when you are not too far away and your target is well lit on a bright sunny morning like today. Unfortunately for the young huntress her prey waited till she was on the far side of her "ring" (the upward circle she was making to gain height) before clapping on the pace and speeding out of range. She kept up the chase for a bit but, experienced enough to know that some pigeons are not catchable, gave up after about 100m or so.

The only issue I experienced (no fault of the binocular) was that it was so cold early in the day that despite gloves my hands were shaking. I'll bring thicker gloves and a 7x next time.

The lucky lads! I hope they were suitably appreciative at being let loose with alpha class gear by their very generous granddad! If I ever get to that stage the scamps will be issued beat up 8x30 porros ... although I'd imagine by then young eyes would see better with the Oberkochen then I would with an Ubervid, hah!

That sounds VERY cold. We don't get that here in Las Vegas...
I bought the kids each a pair of Kowa 6x30 YF porro prosm binoculars for Christmas a couple of years ago. They promptly lost or misplaced them.

The first successful hunt of the year.

Storm Freya passed over the UK today, writing off the entire morning. The forecast is for a window of around three hours over midday before more rain arrives. A quick look outside the window shows less than promising conditions - but I'd missed out on some great flying yesterday and feel compelled to give it a go, so off I go, into a light London drizzle. I know many of you go birding in much more severe conditions, but I'm very much a fair weather birder - partly because I dislike cleaning raindrops from my glasses and partly because (mercifully) they aren't that active when in poor weather and if they are, extremely difficult to follow.

One of the birds is up on their regular perch looking over the city, greyish back blending it so well with the browny-green bricks that I have to pull out the binoculars to be completely sure it is there. I can't tell which of the pair it is. The peregrine has either turned its back outwards to better conceal itself, and is "still hunting" in the manner described by the great Cornish writer (good), or - much more likely in these dreary conditions - has turned inwards towards shelter (not quite so good).

I'm in position ten minutes later. Everything is some shade of grey - darker rooftops interspersed with concrete and stone buildings and sky-reflecting glass all merging into a kind of jumbled brown-grey that stretches for miles in every direction. Tall buildings reach into a steel-grey sky. The river that winds its way through the heart of the city is also browny-grey. Fine drizzle is still falling.

It's now distinctly looking as though this stint will end up being little more than an extended session of self-flagellation. However, my poor decision (or poor spotting) yesterday certainly deserves a bit of self-chastisement, so I grit my teeth and get ready my instrument of mortification, which very fortunately for me is my brother's 8.5x42 SV FP. I had used this superb binocular on several number of occasions, but only for relatively short periods - I now have the opportunity to use it for a longer spell.

For the first couple minutes I fiddle around with the IPD and with the position of my glasses on my nose, and find the focus point that allows my eyes' accommodation to be used most comfortably over the range I think something is likely to happen. Then I settle in to enjoy the view. A day like this is great for testing binoculars. The image is as sharp as I remember it to be, showing superb detail both near and far despite the dull grey conditions, and bright - although admittedly I don't have anything to hand to really compare it to in the latter respect. Colour rendition closely matches what I see with the naked eye. Eye placement is very easy, almost effortless - possibly because the image is sharp all the way to the edge. It's all sweet spot, giving me the impression that the field of view is very large. It is superb - fully competitive with the two other alphas I've tried.

For about ten minutes I mostly see gulls flying in the fresh breeze - black-headed gulls with the dark heads of their summer plumage already showing and the larger, more butch-looking herring and lesser black-backed gulls. Opportunists, yes, and thieves thrive here in the City.

Then at about 1120 I find a single pigeon to the north, heading roughly west-northwest. There's something to its flight - dipping and rising somewhat casually - that's different to how feral pigeons usually fly, and has me thinking that proceeding onwards so airily might be somewhat foolhardy...

I come off the pigeon to cover the area in front - just in case the bird up there might be of the same opinion. In the lower right quarter of my field of view something is moving - a pigeon-like bird heading northwest, low over the roofs, maybe 650m or so out. It really does look a lot like a pigeon, but I decide I'd better follow it. The first pigeon is now in sight. The second bird is matching it almost wingbeat for wingbeat, but gaining on it every wingbeat with deceptive ease. The two birds are close now. It's taken about the same time as you've done reading the last two or three sentences. I'm half-expecting it to get in close formation with the original pigeon and for both birds to fly off together, but...no. The oncoming bird flies into the pigeon. A moment later there's a bizarre four-winged shape tumbling in the air - both birds connected by the peregrine's outstretched feet, both sets of wings beating - one striving to get away, the other to master its quarry. The struggle is over in a moment. The tiercel peregrine - the male of the pair, his closeness in size to the pigeon means it has to be him - is flying towards the nest building, bearing the reward for his vigilance. My reward for mine is the first successful hunt I have seen this year.

He disappears behind a building and I think that's the last I'll see of him. But not long afterwards up he rises up near the nest building, the pigeon still in his grasp. He begins circling in front of the building, just a bit above it. This is unusual - I'd have thought he would have landed fairly quickly. But this is March, the season of their courtship, and maybe he is showing off his catch. Now I'm expecting the female to appear and take the kill from him any moment, but nothing happens. Maybe she's not interested. He keeps circling over the area. By now he has most certainly gotten the attention of the local gull population, three or four of which are now flying after him, mobbing him. He shrugs them off easily at first, despite carrying probably more than a third his weight, but as he persists in circling around their mobbing intensifies. Two or three large adult herring gulls are now actively trying to take the kill off him. They seem to be forcing him lower and I'm wondering whether they will succeed in getting him to discard the pigeon when a dark missile comes streaking in from the top of the nest building. The female peregrine's arrival instantly turns the pursuing gulls into the pursued. They flee down into the rooftops and vanish from sight.

I lose track of the female but the tiercel, still carrying his kill, is now gaining height strongly. He flies to a high point near the nest building. The time is now half past eleven.

About fifteen minutes later one bird takes the kill down to a lower spot where they sometimes stash food. At around five past twelve the other bird (I think) drops off the high point and goes low over the rooftops. I follow the fast-moving grey shape against the clutter of the rooftops and buildings - not the easiest of tasks even with the 8.5 - and see him come in at a lesser black-backed gull, sending it flapping away in alarm. A few moments later it climbs steeply upwards to its habitual perch, and everything is as it was before - still, calm, and grey.

Last edited:
3 August.

1220. started observing. The morning had been pretty sunny but now there was a fair amount of cloud, grey, but high.

1233. sighted the first bird, quite low and a little to the NW of the nest building. It carried on northwards a little, then began ascending high into that steely grey sky, not the easiest target to track as the small black shape reached probably close to 1000 feet or maybe more. Came towards us slightly, descended a bit, then went into a steeply angled stoop. I lost it a moment later as the 10x56 SLC wobbled. Weight/bulk when held off-hand is the only real shortcoming of this otherwise exceptional binocular. My brother, also observing the flight, saw it go down into the rooftops.

Reappeared not long afterwards. It more or less repeated its earlier routine, going up, although this time seemingly not as high. This time it came towards us a little more, making it easier to follow as it circled up into that background of high grey cloud. All of a sudden it changed from the effortless glide to more active flight, wingbeats quicker and more powerful as it headed downwind - then slowed, set its wings and turned. After its second downwind turn, now at probably at least 700 to 800 feet, it began powering across the sky in the manner of a bird that has either sighted an intruder, or is about to enter into a stoop. It did the latter, falling for a short distance, then turning into the wind and descending at a more angled trajectory than its earlier attempt. It was going quickly now, and I made sure to brace my elbows as solidly as possible as I concentrated hard on the small target that was now streaking across the cloudy sky. As it went shooting high over the nest building, both of us scanned ahead, hoping to see what it was after, and found it a few moments later - a high pigeon heading in more or less the same direction. The pigeon was going quickly, as pigeons commuting high over the city normally do, but the incoming peregrine, even though visibly holding back its speed, caught up to its target effortlessly. The cloudier conditions might have made it easier for her to achieve complete surprise, for she closed in and connected solidly, the pigeon apparently never having seen her coming. The speed of her flight was instantly arrested as she dealt with the pigeon, then headed for home.

As she neared the building one of the juveniles came flying up. She handed the kill to the juvenile, which took it cleanly, just over the building. Both birds then disappeared behind the building. Time now: 1244.

Last edited:
Glad to see someone is out enjoying the views through their bins this time of year. It's too hot for me to enjoy it, and I'm hardly picking up a pair even to look out at home here. Not much to see anyway from my indoor viewpoints.

Hope I feel more like it in the Fall, or they'll be bins for sale for sure! Think I'm just getting old, and I'm not in favor of it so far.

To all you others out there-enjoy it when you can, and don't get creaky and cranky!

Your SLC 10x56 sounds like a beast Patudo! But a nice one no doubt! Have fun!

A cool, unusual view in binoculars=well

I ordered a demo pair of zeiss 8x32 FL from Cameraland NY several years ago,
took them out front of the house and looked at a bird on a limb.
The sun was bright, and I saw the brightest, most vivid, white bird poop drop.

By far the FLs are my best bird poop binocular.

edj

Lots of flying the last couple weeks. I've tried to go as often as I could.

27 October: Brilliant extended soaring and hunting sequence by the female of the pair near my office, with four superb stoops. I was using my brother's 10x56 SLC again, which is bulky, weighty... but with superb optical qualities that made following the sometimes difficult target a pleasure rather than, as has happened on numerous occasions with lesser devices, an exercise in frustration. What a great binocular, the perfect companion for a fantastic day.

7 November: Wonderful long, high-ranging flight by the male, ending in a sensational series of acrobatics not far from me - pulling I can't imagine how many Gs as he stood on his tail and powered steeply upwards after 300 to 400-foot stoops, coming back up to altitude, then stooping again, nine or ten times in a row. When he made his final stoop and whizzed back to the ledge I felt the same impulse that Joseph Hagar described in the 1930s: "The sheer excitement of watching such a performance was tremendous; we felt a strong impulse to stand and cheer.” I didn't have to worry about spooking a bird that was well over half a kilometre away, so I did, causing some of those who saw me to scratch their heads, I'm sure. Fortunately there are lots of odd folks in the city...

Winter is here and I have, reluctantly, put the old porros away. The qualities of modern binoculars, always appreciated, have become essential now. The little plastic alpha (8x32 FL) performed brilliantly today - lightweight, excellent handling, wide field, magnification perfect over that distance. Super little product.

9 November: I parted with the 8x30 SLC mark II this afternoon. When using it for the last time, for a two hour stint over noon, I was reminded of its qualities - solid build and what was objectively a very good view, arguably more accessible than the FL. It was my family's very first decent binocular and the device that opened my eyes to how good binoculars can be. I was sad to see it go. I hope the 8x42 Black FL I part exchanged it for will give the same loyal service.

10 November: Successful early hunt. She came down steeply from her perch, difficult to follow in that uncertain morning light even with the 8x42, and disappeared behind an awkwardly situated building, only to come shooting up and seize a pigeon. A fine way to start off my relationship with the new plastic alpha.

I'd wanted a really good 8x42 for some time and its qualities were apparent during this morning stint - better ease of view than the x32 being particularly appreciated. I truly do love the qualities of a good 8x32 or 8x30, but for those situations where should you lose a bird, you want to be able to blame only your own failings, this, or something very similar, is what gets brought along.

Attachments

• P1050507_01.JPG
    P1050507_01.JPG
    164.4 KB · Views: 61
  • P1050962_01.jpg
    P1050962_01.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 49
  • P1050993_01.jpg
    P1050993_01.jpg
    292.6 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
Tough to let a family item go, they are a nice glass. Enjoy the 8X42 FL, it will not disappoint, especially under dim low light conditions.

Andy W.

I often wonder how black crow is doing, and if he's still reading the thread he started. He'd have liked to have seen what we saw on this day, I'm sure...

----------------

6 August.

Trying a few different spots around a big North London reservoir complex, hoping to get better views of the hobbies (Eurasian hobby, Falco subbuteo) we had seen fairly consistently, but all too briefly, on previous trips.

The first couple of hours are fairly unproductive - a couple of peregrines (one with a full crop) on the pylons which flap off after a while, vanish down into the trees and cannot be found again despite much searching, and a lone sparrowhawk soaring high, moving eastwards. There aren't many martins or swifts around, despite the cloudy conditions that we'd hoped would keep them low and visible. Altogether not all that promising...

At about 1.50pm, about twenty minutes after the cloud had begun to clear, we get our first sighting of the target species - a distant hobby some way to the south which, after a little observation, becomes two. Unfortunately the second bird gets blocked by a large tree and the first eventually dwindles away into the distance. Back we go to the original reservoir, hoping that at least one of the birds would still be spottable...

Just before 1430 my brother spots the distinctive shape of a hobby - thin-winged, elegant, and as compelling to the eye as its flight is effortless - out to the southwest, coming closer. The wind, already light when we started, has dropped off, but even so it gains height in just a few easy circles, needing not even a single wingbeat. For a while it stays high over the reservoir, circling leisurely. Then it picks up the pace, crossing the reservoir in a few seconds, and comes down at a far greater speed, in that classic, dramatic, closed-winged stooping shape. It's almost certainly trying to surprise one of the martins near the old mill by the stream, but we don't see the outcome of the hunt as it disappears down into the trees. Not long afterwards it reappears, clearly having been unsuccessful, regains height in that same effortless manner, and begins catching insects high in the air not far from us.

At about 1450, after a few minutes of keeping a loose group of martins on their toes (keeping above and a little upwind), a second bird suddenly comes stooping past the one we're following. We quickly split the birds while trying to figure out what is happening. The newcomer, which had seemed smaller as it whizzed past the first bird, eventually shows itself to be a little larger - the female. They begin pair-flying, and after a few high-speed circles and stoops, launch into a dramatic series of shallow ups and downs, rapid flickering wingbeats propelling both birds at dazzling speed as they head northwards. The female keeps heading northwards and disappears into the distance.

The male has stayed over the reservoir and both of us now follow him as he heads south, turns westwards, begins flying faster, and then closes his wings and descends in a 45-degree angled stoop that carries him on for what seems an incredible distance. His target, spotted only in the final moment before he attempts the grab, is a martin, which somehow manages to dodge not only the initial attack but also the second attempt a moment later as the hobby, with agility that defies belief, pulls up into a steep, tight upward loop and comes down again, only to miss. He chases the martin downwards and both birds disappear into ground clutter. Time now: 1502.

He's up again - empty-handed once again. Amazed though I am that a bird with such impressive powers of flight has been unsuccessful, I'm glad that more brilliant flying is likely on the cards. He's climbing now, rapidly gaining the height he needs for speed and surprise, his manner of flight light yet powerful, a pleasure to watch. Back across the reservoir he goes, peeling down into another spectacular stoop, this time at a near-vertical angle, streaking down into the trees just to the right of the old mill. Moments later up he comes, flying hard. I think there are three or four hirundines near him that seem larger than the martins we have been seeing, probably swifts. He forces the one he's after to turn and stoops down after it below the treetops, but is again unsuccessful as he soon circles up over the same area. Once again he goes soaring high, moving south, then turning northwards. He's flying hard now, and my brother, with better eyes and a slight advantage in magnification, can see he's after a small target, but he soon quits the pursuit. At extreme distance he comes together with another distant bird of prey, probably a buzzard, pings it a few times, and finally blinks out far into the distance at 1508.

1526. He reappears to the southwest. For the next fifteen minutes or so he's soaring high. The area he's over isn't all that far from us but he's so high that he is a tiny shape, that I can just about see has wings and a tiny tail, against the high white clouds. He doesn't do much other than capture the occasional insect until a second bird, the female, appears again. No acrobatics this time, or at least not until the male heads southward and stoops after another raptor which it chases around for a while. All of a sudden the female comes stooping in - but her target is not the other raptor, but the male, which she proceeds to stoop at/chase around for a bit before both the pair focus their attention on the other raptor and drive it away to the south. It was so far away neither of us could make a 100% ID - most likely a wandering juvenile peregrine, but could possibly have been another female hobby. All three fade out into the distance. It's now about 1545.

1607. Hobby pops up to the east, coming up and down, eating insects. A gull attempts to hassle him, but he slips away on every attempt - not trying to outdistance his pursuer as I've seen other raptors do, but somehow turning away at just the right angle and at the right moment that the distance between them just opens up. Some hirundines (mainly swifts) are now passing through my field of view every now and then, but he keeps capturing and eating insects as he flies high.

1631. after a long period of circling extremely high he heads south and begins a tremendous near-vertical stoop. I hold my breath and concentrate as he goes plummeting down through the heavens for hundreds and hundreds of feet. Even though he's not coming down at full speed, the sheer distance he has fallen is awe-inspiring. He pulls up, changes direction abruptly, and stoops down again, this time much more quickly, after a martin. Down they go into the treetops. He pops up, still after his prey, and I see a couple more attempts but he soon drops down below the treetops and disappears. Lots of martins in that area now.

The reserve is soon to close, so we start heading for home. At around 1645, on our final scan, my brother finds probably the same hobby out to the west, a good way out. He keeps flying high, a distant silhouette in the afternoon sky, until it's time for us to go.

A superb day. Summer raptor watching at its best.

-------------------------

Needing a binocular I could free-hand easily, I took the 8x42 FL black with me that day. I've used it alongside/against, and compared it with my brother's 8.5x42 Fieldpro on many occasions - 8x against 8.5x, nylon versus metal, open bridge versus standard, Abbe-Koening versus Schmidt-Pechan. It did the job I needed it to do really well - light enough to free-hand (including long spells pointing nearly vertically up and tracking targets from 7-800 to 3,000+ feet high), friendly to the eye thanks to the 5mm exit pupil, and able to follow very distant birds further than my old 10x40. The best of what we saw that day is only (regretfully) accessible in my mental hard drive, but I ought to have snapped a shot of both binoculars on the reservoir bank as a memento.

About the only good thing that has resulted from Covid has been my being able to do a lot more birding than I would otherwise (ahem). The last weeks of August and the first half of September are thought to be the best time of the year for watching hobbies, after the young of the year have fledged and as they and the adults get ready for the long migration southwards. But since my last post the weather has been up and down: a week-long heatwave, soon followed by low-pressure storm systems bringing strong winds and rain that seemed to have scattered the swifts and martins we had hoped would attract our target species. Sightings in our usual areas have been fleeting and frustrating, the birds appearing and disappearing like ghosts.

Fortunately first one, then another successful pair were reported - enabling us to go to watch them instead of scanning our usual areas for increasingly elusive birds. Hobbies regularly nest in Berlin and other European cities, but it's still pretty unusual here. It was therefore a bit of a surprise to see the first pair unconcernedly carrying on with the business of bringing up three young in a nest tree overlooking a popular swimming lake, with loud music blaring more or less underneath them. This experience made it much easier to locate the second pair, much closer to home. I can honestly say that being able to walk to the vicinity of a hobby nest is something I never thought I'd be able to do...

After an unsuccessful attempt yesterday at pinning down yet another suspected pair, it seemed like a good idea to focus on the pair we knew were definitely there. This pair and their three youngsters had themselves been somewhat frustrating in that, although easily spotted, they'd normally disappear back into or over the trees in seconds. I had seen some high flying on Monday, though - the adult male going up to well over 800 feet and flying quickly, either after insects or just for the fun of it I couldn't tell, before descending in a wonderful elongated corkscrew, quickly enough to make me wonder whether he was after something, from the moment he began coming down to when he disappeared into the trees near the nest. Moments like that make up a multitude of disappointments, and bring you back again and again, in the hope of seeing more...

Just after 1130 the old male hobby appeared. One moment the sky above the treetops was completely blank, then an eyeblink later that elegant long-winged silhouette was just suddenly there, stark against the white backdrop of cloud. Behind him in close formation were the three juveniles, stronger on the wing now, but visibly trying hard to keep up with the adult's effortless economy of motion. One came up to him, reached out with its feet, but I couldn't be sure whether a food pass took place - very unlike peregrines where food delivered can be as large as a whole pigeon. Tempting though it was to follow the juveniles, I stayed on the old bird, which flew closer to me, then turned back, caught a couple of insects almost in passing, then began circling effortlessly upwards. There was only a light breeze today but the manner in which he ascended, those long narrow wings set so perfectly that not a single wingbeat was needed as he circled up into the wind somewhat like an expertly handled sailboat tacking, was wonderful to watch. It's always difficult to estimate how high a bird is, but he must have gotten up to 800-odd feet before he turned upwind and came towards me, gaining even more height. For the next ten minutes or more he was high overhead, at a neck-straining angle, every now and then stalling as he captured an insect, sometimes breaking into short steep stoops that seemed to be rather a lot of effort for the energy gained by whatever he was catching. At last he moved away - a sparrowhawk briefly entering my field of view as I followed him - but after a while began coming too close to the sun. Had to drop him. Checked the time and found that it was nearly 1210. Over half an hour had gone by in a flash.

My 7x binoculars don't see much use these days, but the situation was just right for my old Swift 7x35 extra wide angle - I knew where the birds should be and didn't expect them to go too far away (or rather my observation point would not allow me to follow them too far). At times like this the steadiness of the 7x mag and the great field of view really shine. Although only single-coated, it's bright enough, and sharp, too. Edge sharpness is not its strong point, and you do notice this when you start using it, but I find after about half an hour or so I adapt to the binocular and refamilarize myself with how best to look through it. I recall comments from others saying that eg. the 8x30 Habicht are binoculars that one has to learn how best to look through them, and this rings very true with most of my old porros. It's not the instantly accessible, drop-in view that modern roof designs (eg. Swarovision) have perfected, but after you've got it set up perfectly, it's a remarkably good one. Handling wise, the large prisms make it a bit of a handful - this thing somewhat resembles a 7x50 with shorter barrels, not the sort of thing you want to point up at the sky for long periods of time. But it's those prisms that give it that wonderful field of view. It's a worthwhile tradeoff - I have other binoculars to use if I require something that handles more easily.

I regret that the popularity of these extra-wide 7x35s - and they do appear to have been quite common back in the 50s and 60s - did not last, as an updated version, multi-coated and ideally with better edge performance, would be quite something. Today reminded me that even the old "Holiday" (could Swift have chosen a more dilettante name for a binocular?) is, on its day, a joy to use.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back