• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Western Scotland birding (1 Viewer)

Great Harbour, Greenock

Black Guilemots in good numbers this last few days high count of 13 this afternoon, 3 Dabchicks also present no doubt because of freeze up.

Stewart

Great Harbour, Greenock

A record 7 Dabchick in harbour this morning, my highest count in 10 years. 12 Black Guilemot also present no two having the same winter plumage.

Good birding

Stewart

I've not had a chance to get out birding at all this year so far, been too busy, and also trying not to spend too much money while I save up for something.

However, for the second Sunday in a row, I had Waxwings outside my window. They only hang around for about a minute or so, but it's great to see them. Last week, they were on the gutter directly above my window, and I was only within about a metre of them, cracking shots of them as they were peering over the edge.

Unfortunately not enough time to get my camera.

Hope everyone's been having a great weekend!

It's been glorious here.

I don't have my car anymore, but when my mum and dad said they were taking a run up to Crinan yesterday, I jumped at the chance of a day out.

En route, I saw plenty of Barn Swallows as well as my first House Martin of the year. Also seen in Loch Fyne (this is an enormous sea-loch which stretches inland for miles) was my first Gannet of the year - just one on its own, it was almost at the head of the loch.

Crinan is famous for being at the end of the Crinan Canal - it's now mainly used by tourists, but in the past was used by puffers transporting goods from Glasgow to wider Scotland and beyond. It was really windy in the harbour area, with only some gulls and Eiders to be seen on the choppy sea. Views from here include to Jura and Mull.

I took a woodland walk - I didn't have a map, so I wasn't too confident about some of the paths, but I managed to get back OK! It takes you up through what is known as a temperate rainforest, this is because of the maritime climate which allows lots of mosses, ferns etc to grow. I didn't know until later that many of the trees there are oaks - not a tree I see often in Scotland. Didn't see a lot of birds because of the foliage, but I could hear plenty of Willow Warblers and Chiffchaffs. The path was quite rough, but it eventually led to the top of a hill with fantastic views all round.

Once back beside the canal, I saw Red-breasted Mergansers out to sea. They do boat trips from here to see the Corryvreckan Whirlpool, as well as wildlife - I expect there'll be dolphins, porpoises and lots of seabirds. I'll need to go back up some time to go on one of these trips - but also to spend more time in the woodland now that I know the route through it. Just to the south of here is Knapdale which is where the beavers were released recently. I'll probably hire a car and stay in the area for a few days to try and make the most of it.

Today - I visited my old haunt of Lochwinnoch. It was really sunny again, and the Sedge Warblers were out in force - everywhere I turned there they were! At the visitor centre had the strange sight of Jackdaws and Rooks on the feeders! And later I saw a Mallard sitting under a tree quite far from the water. I heard a Blackcap, and saw more Willow Warblers and Chiffchaffs - the former are actually really confiding and I was able to stand a few feet from them. A Grey Heron flushed out a Snipe - with the place being full of reeds, this is really the only way of ever seeing them. On Aird Meadow there's a few Greylag Geese - they're sometimes seen in farmland around the reserve, but I've never seen them on the water here before. I took a walk down to the River Calder and got really good views of a Whitethroat.

I also saw five species of butterfly: Orange-Tip, Peacock, Red Admiral, Large White and Small Tortoiseshell.

I'm off to Ardrishaig for a couple of days next week. I have been in the area before (Kilmartin), but are there any hidden gems still waiting to be discovered?

I'd also like an idea or two if you know of any places to stop en route for lunch or a cuppie from Crieff/Crianlarich onward (er... I didn't mean cafes, but nice places to pull off the road where there's a view/nice birds possibly).

D

Thanks for those Paul. Yes, we did have a session in Knapdale Forest, but I can't now remember exactly where we parked and walked (saw my first Wood Warbler there).

The Beavers are new, so I think that may definitely be on the agenda. I didn't realise there was a visitor centre for them, so thanks for that link too.

D

I'd also like an idea or two if you know of any places to stop en route for lunch or a cuppie from Crieff/Crianlarich onward (er... I didn't mean cafes, but nice places to pull off the road where there's a view/nice birds possibly).

D

Hi Delia, what way will you go from Crianlarich? If you go down the A82 past Loch Lomond, then you've lots of choices for places to stop off.

Arrochar is always worth stopping off at - the views of the Cobbler, Beinn Narnain and down Loch Long are excellent. Possibly good birds to be seen here as well if the tide is out.

Further along, there's the Rest and Be Thankful, the view down the glen from here is outstanding, and the surrounding hills are awesome. You'll see the other side of the Cobbler, plus you'll be at the foot of one of my favourite mountains - Beinn an Lochain.

You'll pass by the Loch Fyne Oyster Bar, might be worth stopping off for a bite, or just to chill out before you're next stage of your journey.

Next up there's Inverary, with plenty of places to go to. The car park on the waterfront is almost always packed, but there's a bigger car park on the way out of Inverary to Lochgilphead if you're wanting to stop off for a short while.

I was out that way a few weeks ago - I visited Crinan. It was very very windy, but I went for a great walk just above Crinan - once behind the hill the wind completely died away and it was so warm and pleasant. If you struggle for mobility then it's not advisable though.

You can also get boat trips from there to the Corryvreckan whirlpool and to see some seabirds and sea mammals.

Oh thanks very much John. I haven't been that road for donkey's years - so long ago, in fact, that I can't really remember when! It will make a lovely change from the Oban road I think.

The last time I was at Crinan a few years ago my sister and I walked in the hills above Crinan - not sure I'd be quite up to that now though LOL

The report I wrote on that trip is HERE.

I'd love to do the Corryvreckan trip, but my sister's no sailor unfortunately. Maybe I'll bear it in mind to do on my own some time.

D

I made a trip to SWT Falls of Clyde this morning. I got the train to Lanark, expecting to get a bus to New Lanark, but there was no sign of it - there was some sort of celebration going on in the town and it seemed all the roads were closed. So ended up getting my phone out and used the GPS to find my own way to it on foot. It's only about 1.5 miles so wasn't far, but the bus company could have at least put on a sign saying there may be delays.

Got to New Lanark, and the visitor centre there, and at the SWT behind it were both closed - they were supposed to be open at 10, but I think they were out taking part in that celebration too. I must say it doesn't give a good impression to visitors like me who have made the effort to get there and the visitor centres aren't open on time.

Enough moaning, there was an upshot - got the place practically to myself. I walked along the boardwalk by the Clyde - there is some stunning scenery here, I had no idea that there were large gorges and things like that on the upper Clyde. The birdlife at the start of the walk was practically non-existent, but as I got further up the trail it slowly came to life.

The first thing that caught my attention was a fledged Blue Tit - it was on the ground at the side of the path, but I noticed another in a branch, and the adults going in and out of a nestbox nearby, so I moved away and left it were it was.

Then, I started hearing the sound of a bird I'd gone there to see. I knew I was getting close to the location because there were large screens along the path facing the river. So I was really pleased to get fabulous views on an adult male Peregrine, and then five minutes later one of the young males that had only just fledged this morning. I've seen Peregrines before, but this was something else, the view was outstanding and looking through the SWT's (there were a couple of SWT staff here) scopes, I got really detailed views of them.

Amongst the other birds seen were Sand Martins, Swallows, Willow Warblers, Dippers, Blackcaps, Treecreepers.

On the way back there was a high level woodland path, so I took this - saw a Bullfinch. I then had to walk through a meadow which contained two ponies that are being used to graze the meadow - both of them were on the path itself, and one of them was sleeping, I tried my best to give them a wide berth, but the sleeping one woke up and made a noise to express its displeasure. I'm sure they're perfectly friendly animals, but it's still a bit unnerving to have to walk past them, especially when one of them is likely to be spooked out of its slumber!

I saw my final fledged bird of the day which was a Carrion Crow - I've never seen a young Carrion Crow before, so it's worth a mention.

Black Guilemots

Numbers seem to be slightly up in the Great Harbour area on previous years, recorded my highest ever count of 31 birds at the weekend(worked here 12 years now).

Have also found them nesting in some of the oddest places, this one from the weekend.

Pic 1 is of chick in old pipe, 2 showing actual location with adult perched in larger pipe above, they are delightfully confiding, pics all taken with a compact.

Attachments

• Tystie01.jpg
    Tystie01.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 91
  • Tystie02.jpg
    Tystie02.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 83
  • Tystie03.jpg
    Tystie03.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 81
I spent a couple of days camping at Cashel on the east side of Loch Lomond recently.

A couple of target birds. Completely failed with Pied Flycatcher despite doing a few forest walks. Did get Yellow Wagtail - just a few metres from the tent!

Had a large group of Canada Geese on the loch, and really enjoyed seeing Magpies which are a rarity in Angus.

Fantastic display of Swifts at Drymen village car park, they nesting in one of the nearby houses.

Got savaged by midges especially my ankles.

Quail, Bridge of Weir Area

Out again till almost dusk last night, 2 Quail singing initially in short bursts then more prolonged as dusk approached.

They are in cereal fields west of the village.

Stewart

Yesterday 8 Black terns hunting at Cloch Point/Gourock
also there 9 manxies, several Gennets, Razorbill and a group of 220 eider ducks.

a sparrowhawk and common seal near Inverkip

Last edited:
Black Guilemot update

The little fella ain't so little now, this one from today.

Attachments

• tystie04.jpg
    tystie04.jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 145

Users who are viewing this thread

Back