• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2018 (1 Viewer)

Three Alpine Accentors were seen yesterday in the Boquer Valley, about three-quarters of the way down on the rocks on the right hand side. Mike

A trip to track down the Alpine Accentors.

Not seen at Bocquer Valley but a visitor had reported seeing one.
Other birds seen included Balearic Warblers and Blue Rock Thrushes.

A visit to the Mirador at Formentor was successful.Two Alpine Accentors very tame.

Attachments

• FCF670FF-1DA9-4F0E-A6C3-3421779AAC1F.jpg
    FCF670FF-1DA9-4F0E-A6C3-3421779AAC1F.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 67

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2018-02-19 at 15.29.55.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2018-02-19 at 15.29.55.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 86
Mike and Susan came for breakfast and we then took a cold and wet walk around Mondrago. A nice Grey wagtail was found by Susan near the torrent and fleeting views of a female Goldcrest were had in its usual location. Both these species have been scarce this year. Also Firecrest in the same area and Blackcap.
The Stone Curlews were very vocal but no sign of Cirl buntings or much else come to that.
It was a very pleasant day though despite the weather. Mike

Thanks to Mike and Jane..the only way to spend a wet and cold day. With good friends, fine conversation and delicious food.

In the Ciutat Jardin, the following birds were seen:
Little Egrets, Cormorants, Shags, Audouin Gulls, 1 Oystercatcher, 7 Turnstones, Kentish Plovers.
Young Yellow legged gull and possible common gull fly past but not sure

Last edited:
Early morning wet viewing at Ciutat Jardin. Above birds seen without the Common Gull.
Many Audouins Gulls enjoying the rain!
Great views of Sandwich Terns fishing.
Up North again

Wet afternoon in S’Albufera.
The new Hide near Sa Roca is completed but no public access at the moment. The birds are resettling in their numbers in the water area.
Birds seen included Purple Swamphens, Little Stints, Kentish Plovers, Dunlins, Black Winged Stilts, Avocet, Marsh Harriers, Osprey, Lapwings, Various Ducks including Teal, Widgeon,Shoverlers, Shellducks, Gadwalls and 9 Marbled Ducks.
Two Black tailed Godwits also seen.

Last edited:
Not surprising, given that many of the problems that s'Albufera has to cope with are of their making - or at least a major contributing factor!

Good weather up North.
Birds seen around S’Albuferata included: Marsh Harrier, Red Kites, Kestrels, Booted Eagle, Ravens, Flamingos, BlackWinged Stilts, Greenshank, RedShank, Green Sandpiper, Little Egrets and Great Egrets, RL Partridges, Cetti, Fantailed and Sardinia Warblers, Goldfinches and Serins.

A great morning out with Krister in the south.
At Salobrar one Ruff, one Grey Plover, good numbers of Avocet, Lapwing, Shoveler and Shelduck, also Teal, Kentish Plovers, Little stint and Dunlin.
Lots of Marsh Harrier in the air, a few Booted eagles and Red Kite.
At the salt pans of Sant Jordi...nowt.
On the coast at Sant Jordi, 500 Golden Plover on the small island and some Shearwaters close by, all Balearic.
Mike

Last edited:
Philip has seen a Goshawk at Santa Ponsa. Also 10 Booted eagles and 7 Red Kite which he thought may be migrants.
Goshawk is an extreme rarity and I’m not even sure that a record has ever been accepted. I remember a birder seeing one in the Boquer Valley a couple of years ago and a possible Goshawk flew past the tower at Albercutx last spring so my feeling is that they do occur in very small numbers.
If anyone has any sightings or better still, any photos, please post here. Thanks, Mike

Up at the Finca by the entrance to Bocquer Valley this afternoon.
Following up on your comments above Mike, I saw an interesting raptor at 13.30 but failed to get a decent photograph.
Later good views of a peregrine hunting. Other birds seen included Ravens, Red Kite, Booted Eagle, Blue Rockthush.
No sign of alpine accentors or cirl buntings.
Too many ramblers on a Sunday to look for warblers etc.

On the way to the Airport today, a peregrine shot infront of the car.
I know there are several peregrines around the cathedral, in the mountains around Port de Pollensa and in other places. I am so pleased to see so many on the island. According to the Record publication the situation looks good.

Attachments

• 1948B7DD-B9B8-47BA-B84C-74A0CE7A25BF.jpg
    1948B7DD-B9B8-47BA-B84C-74A0CE7A25BF.jpg
    196.6 KB · Views: 57
A super-rare Purple sandpiper has been found by Maties along the front at Portixol, just east of Palma.
Hopefully, one of the lucky few will post a photograph. I guess with this cold weather, it may stick around for a few days.
This stretch of coastline is always productive with a good variety of gulls and waders found every year, this year being exceptionally fruitful.
Mike

La Gola March schedule

Good morning!

In March the Ornithological Center will be open Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday from 8am to 1pm and from 2pm to 5 pm. And Saturdays from 8am to 2 pm.

Last Monday a juvenile Black-crowned Night Heron was in torrent de Gommar.

Remember that you can get you Birdwatching Calendar 2018 here in la Gola.;)

Regards,
Cristina.

No sign of the Purple sandpiper today that I have heard about, but four Oystercatchers and two Mediterranean gulls were found in the search. Mike

Visit to Lluc with friends on the Balearic holiday day.
Birds seen included Griffon Vultures(8); Red Kite, Booted Eagles, Crag Martins.
Several Butterflies including Cleoptra and Peacock enjoying the sun
Nice to have a picnic with locals.

Last edited:
Several Butterflies including Cleoptra and Peacock enjoying the sun

Hi

I'm not aware of any published records of Peacock from the Balearic Islands. I know it's a common European species but I don't suppose you got any photos? Apparently it normally only gets as far south as northern Spain.

Unfortunately, I've just read that it is another species that is released at funerals, etc. (as with the only record of the Monarch butterfly on Mallorca), but I'm not sure if that includes the Balearic Islands.

Best wishes

Martin

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back