• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Camcorder for still photos (1 Viewer)

TEX66

Hi All,

I am after a camcorder with at least 35x optical zoom that also takes a high quality still image. I have a Nikon 300 but cant afford the high zoom lenses.

I have been looking at getting a camcorder for videos of the family and holidays but would love to get one that I can use in the local bird hides.

The primary use would be to zoom 35x + and to get a good quality still image.

I am not sure at this stage if I need to look into hi-definition? Any suggestions or comments would be welcome?

Price range I am looking around £500 new or second hand.

Thanks

Tex

WE have a Panasonic SDR-H40 which has a 42x optical zoom. It is easy to use and takes good photos. It costs about £220.

My own problem with it is trying to find out where the object I am taking is, I have yet to figure out how to compensate where the lens is.....but with Ian being used to using a camera has no problems whatsoever.

Camcorder

Hello,

I take movies and pictures with camcorder ( Panasonic SD 300 ).
Even there is 10 Megapixel pictures, the quality is aweful.
The focus is extrem slow and many pictures are out of focus finaly.
Take picture from birds which are farer away and enlarge the birds on PC do not works in practice.

Best regards
Dieter

I honestly think camcorders can take good pics, and still camera's can take good movies, but to really achieve the best results in either field, I think get the machine designed to do the job in hand, camcorders for films, still slr's for photo's, just my view, and I realise that most folk are happy with the setup they have as an all rounder.

mark

The problem is that the high pixel counts go with the better HD video cameras which have shorter zoom ranges and cost more (new) than your budget.

Having tried both I tend to go along with mark b, but I was pleasantly surprised by the video quality of a still camera used in an emergency - but again it didnt have the zoom range and was fairly expensive.

WE have a Panasonic SDR-H40 which has a 42x optical zoom. It is easy to use and takes good photos. It costs about £220.

My own problem with it is trying to find out where the object I am taking is, I have yet to figure out how to compensate where the lens is.....but with Ian being used to using a camera has no problems whatsoever.

Hey M

Does the H40 have manual focus that can be operated by hand? (ie not using a touchscreen method)
Cheers
Ads

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back