• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hong Kong end of July (1 Viewer)

Amarillo

Hi

Am in Hong Kong for a few days at the end of next month. This is not strictly a birdwatching trip, but would like to do a little bit where it can be conveniently combined with general sightseeing.

Kowloon park and Victoria peak are no problem and I'll probably get to Tai Po Kau. I'm not going to get around to sorting the permits for Mai Po, but what other wetland sites would you recommend in particular to see the egret colonies and kingfishers if possible?

Any info would be much appreciated!
Thanks

Thanks John but maybe I should have been a bit clearer. I'm not on a dedicated birdwatching trip so hiring guides and spending time searching for specific species is absolutely not on the agenda!

I just want to see a few common species and I'm simply looking for advice on places to go where a bit of casual birding can be combined with more general holiday activities.

Many thanks for the kind words John.

There are birds to look for here in July, but you will have to sweat for them - its very hot and very humid at that time.

Egrets and kingfishers are certainly about in late July, both inside and outside Mai Po.

Some other birds that might be of interest include Collared Crow, breeding Painted Snipe and Black-winged Stilt at Mai Po (also outside at Long Valley) three Black-faced Spoonbills have also been summering, and the wader migration is starting to trickle in.

Farmland birds include Koel, a few bulbuls, Greater and Lesser Coucals, Black-collared and Chinese Starlings and Crested Mynah, plus Scarlet Minivet, House Swift and Common Tailorbird

Up on the tops are Chinese Francolin, Upland Pipit and the near endemic Chinese Grassbird while the forests hold a range of laughingthrushes and other babblers, two flowerpeckers, Fork-tailed Sunbird, Chestnut Bulbul, Blue Whistling Thrush plus Hainan Blue Flycatchers.

On a ferry trip to Lantau or Lamma you could get lucky with Reef Egret, White-bellied Sea Eagle or even an early Aleutian Tern.

You will be able to see other birds that are turning up on the HKBWS website at www.hkbws.org.hk/BBS/

Cheers
Mike

PS drop me a PM if you are looking for a guide.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back