• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Another Great Day in the Pyrenees 2014 (2 Viewers)

rosbifs

PutAin STOP
Ukraine
Ok so it's been a while but a lot has been going on! Unfortunately, not all birds...

So a brief summary so far:
-Been trying to keep up with the Black Shouldered Kites - watched a couple 'parading' - a very funny call which didn't even resemble a bird of prey. Got a very distant photo but missed the fly over.
- Woodpecker prospecting has begun. Managed top find the usual suspects but no White Backed! Black and Green (normal not sharpei in woods visited) in full voice. I think the Black has settled on a 'damaged' tree this year. I guess the next week will confirm.
- Came across some bear tracks which was very exciting. Ok it does make a little nervous for a little while but they won't be around in the day!
- Lammergeiers are busy feeding young.
- Egyptians have returned - well a couple - unfortunately, the most visible nest has been pinched by the Griffons. They are lazy - always evicting other birds...
- The Eagle Owls are sitting tight at the moment. Very quiet for them at this time - not much hooting.
- Some hirundelles (swallows) have passed but fairly quiet on that front.
- Watched some Crested Tits scoping a nest site. Hope they choose it because it's right next to a path (lightly used so should be ok).
- Black Kites are back in some numbers.
- Dissappointing returns on Wallcreeper this winter - barely a showing - although have only really been checking around village.

Anyway, will try to keep on top of updates.....

Some goodies from a couple of recent outings...

Attachments

• P1000747(1).JPG
    P1000747(1).JPG
    778.8 KB · Views: 266
  • P1000712(1).JPG
    P1000712(1).JPG
    917.2 KB · Views: 298
  • P1000752(1).JPG
    P1000752(1).JPG
    660.6 KB · Views: 329
Smart birds you have around your area. Love the Ring Ouzel pic. Will follow this thread for sure!

Bit of walking in the woods as usual at this time of the year. Error number 1 - left too late - error number 2 - a badly packed rucksack meant no speakers, no water, no twix all of which meant no motivation and a half hearted attempt to climb up a very steep pitch to no avail!

Back on the road met a nice french birdwatcher - they do exist - not the nice bit the birdwatcher bit...
Anyway, we proceeded to clock a pair of Golden Eagles sat on the ridge above their nest.
A pair of Short Toed Eagles (my first of the year) - better still they paraded a bit then scoped and entered last years nest in a large conifer tree in front of us.
A flyover Egyptian Vulture - again first of the year for me.
A few Griffons, Black Kite and Buzzards.
We also had a good chat measuring each others binoculars!

I thought I would check out ouor 'local' Hoopoes- one had been seen in my village on Friday. However, no sign of the nesters. I did get a very nice Short Toed Treecreeper - even managed a half decent photo!

On the road to Lourdes I noticed a few circling Grifters so thought would investigate. Got a couple of shots...

Attachments

• P1000769(1).JPG
    P1000769(1).JPG
    890.5 KB · Views: 266
  • P1000784(1).JPG
    P1000784(1).JPG
    617.5 KB · Views: 214
  • P1000783(1)(1).JPG
    P1000783(1)(1).JPG
    906.2 KB · Views: 264
Big news was a possible drumming White Backed Woodpecker! Been scoping all the local woods for nine years - and although I have been to Lourdios to see them - and this was my first 'local'.

I'm at about 90% certainty but it only drummed once but definately got the acceleration. Back at first light when it should be more active. The only remaining local site is about 1km further down the road - one contact last year and on average one per year...

Well no further news. Spent the morning in the woods. Saw everything but. Went off road between two stretches of wood and spooked a snake. Ok it spooked me and i ran back to the path. There were calling Black Wood and Green. Short Toed Eagle overhead, a female Sparrowhawk.

2nd spooking was a baby Wild Boar. What a creature and how well camouflaged as he snuffled around in the leaves. I suddenly thought that if the mother appears she will not be too happy so i scooted off again. I had been poised with the camera but it was just above me so well hidden and then i realised what it was...

On the way back to the car got a drumming Great Spot and a Red Squirrel. Guess they're not best of friends. So whilst i drew a blank on the target species i got some more evidence in terms of photos of the 'woodpeckered' trees. I will send them to 'our' (birdforum) woodpecker man to get a second opinion...

White Backed Woodpecker? That would of been a superb find! Impressed with the raptor count too. On another subject, ever heard of a 'water to go' filter bottle? Inexpensive, highly effective and mine goes all over the Scottish Highlands for all my water needs (bar sea water). An amazing day extending device as it means i have unlimited days water rather than rations.

Hir Ratal,

There is a long standing site down the road but I have never had any luck there (one possible about 3 years ago). The National Parks had one last year but I wasn't with them! This has been my nemises - prospecting every spring in most of the beach woods around here. I had to go a couple of valleys across to actually get the bird!

Today was back in the next wood along - Green, Black, Great! Did have the bonus of Lammergeier, Golden Eagle and poss Gos (on another thread)...

Rosbifs

ps in 2001 there was an estimated 300 pairs of White Backed in the French Pyrenees and 80-90 on the spannish side - hasn't made things any easier...

pps water filter sounds interesting.

Hir Ratal,

There is a long standing site down the road but I have never had any luck there (one possible about 3 years ago). The National Parks had one last year but I wasn't with them! This has been my nemises - prospecting every spring in most of the beach woods around here. I had to go a couple of valleys across to actually get the bird!

The dreaded Nemesis... mine was the Bittern. Took years to catch up with one lol. Glad you found yours. They are painful to endure :t:

Today was back in the next wood along - Green, Black, Great! Did have the bonus of Lammergeier, Golden Eagle and poss Gos (on another thread)...

Black Woodpecker... now that's a supreme bird. Nicely done. As for the Lammergeier, well, I'd have to admit this after Steller Eider and Harlequin Duck sits at number 3 for my 'must see' lifer list.

pps water filter sounds interesting.

Link.

http://www.watertogo.eu/testing-23-w.asp

Well have been having big problems with my internet connection hence lack of posts.

Where did I get up to? Well had a good day out at Pau last week. First Golden Oriol of the year along with Black Shouldered Kite and a Marsh Harrier passing through. 500 or so Black kites at the tip. And a nice pair of Crested Lark at Tarbes (they are very scarce around here). Unfortunately, the weather was rubbish – rain so didn’t really get out of the car.

Big news is I gone DSLR. I know its an old model but went for the Canon 60D. I have been out practicing today on Water Pipits and a first Rock Thrush of the year. They had been reported at Gavarnie last week and are always nice to connect with. The camera is very quick and so far so good.

Still having Internet problems so can't post photos yet but got some of a Wallcreeper at gavarnie! Was a fraction too far to be spectacular and the speed a little too slow but was quite happy with some...

Guess should have upped the ISO to get the speed up. Still not a bad subject to practice on!

some pictures

Ok so I have to change the date on the camera - it is set to 2010!

Some early pictures with the camera - still experimenting! This a little too far away and also th elight wasn't that great. In hindsight should have upped the iso...

Attachments

• IMG_1033(1).JPG
    IMG_1033(1).JPG
    370.1 KB · Views: 244
  • IMG_1034(1).JPG
    IMG_1034(1).JPG
    294.7 KB · Views: 232
  • IMG_1035(1).JPG
    IMG_1035(1).JPG
    311.4 KB · Views: 201
  • IMG_1036(1).JPG
    IMG_1036(1).JPG
    338.7 KB · Views: 253
  • IMG_1037(1).JPG
    IMG_1037(1).JPG
    327.1 KB · Views: 199
some others

Couple of lens options at mo - 70-300 tamron and 500mm sigma...

Attachments

• IMG_0886(1).JPG
    IMG_0886(1).JPG
    339.4 KB · Views: 233
  • IMG_0905(1).JPG
    IMG_0905(1).JPG
    121.4 KB · Views: 216
  • IMG_0911(1).JPG
    IMG_0911(1).JPG
    303.8 KB · Views: 253
  • IMG_1043(1).JPG
    IMG_1043(1).JPG
    457.8 KB · Views: 247
Some pictures taken today. A couple of them for Larry....

Very happy with some of them -this is just a selection. All taken with tamron 70-300mm zoom.

Attachments

• IMG_1098(1).JPG
    IMG_1098(1).JPG
    147.5 KB · Views: 203
  • IMG_1099(1).JPG
    IMG_1099(1).JPG
    140.5 KB · Views: 234
  • IMG_1109(1).JPG
    IMG_1109(1).JPG
    119 KB · Views: 187
  • IMG_1112(1).JPG
    IMG_1112(1).JPG
    90 KB · Views: 192
I wanted to get a 'crisp' flight shot. I guess I will have to keep trying. I was chasing Crag Martins last night and its pretty hard!

Attachments

• IMG_1130(1).JPG
    IMG_1130(1).JPG
    203.1 KB · Views: 235
  • IMG_1123(1).JPG
    IMG_1123(1).JPG
    178.5 KB · Views: 212
  • IMG_1156(1).JPG
    IMG_1156(1).JPG
    225.4 KB · Views: 242
Forgot to do yesterdays write up. Numerous Whinchat - 11 on one fence, Golden Oriol, buckets of Black Kites, first Red Backed Shrike, Short Toed Treecreeper, Booted Eagle, first Swifts (for the village - there were a few at St Jean De Luz last week), Marsh Harrier, numerous Wheatear, Fan Tailed Warbler....

Dear Rosbifs...

Thank you for adding to my 'heck yes' travel list. Wallcreeper.... yeah, I'm going to say right off the bat that this is a 'bucket list' bird.

What a fantastic selection of birds.

Dear Rosbifs...

Thank you for adding to my 'heck yes' travel list. Wallcreeper.... yeah, I'm going to say right off the bat that this is a 'bucket list' bird.

What a fantastic selection of birds.

The Butterfly bird, some call it the Holy Grail and it fits the bill for me, loving this thread and possibly visiting in 2016.

Damian.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back