• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Raptor , Tramantunas ,Mallorca, 3 October 2018 (1 Viewer)

Laruslister

Hi ,

I stopped at Gorg Blau Reservor in the Tramantunas Mountains and took out my bridge camera to photograph some scenery. I wish I'd got out my good camera and got a better shot of this. I thought at the time it was a Griffon , but I'm finding the pale tail a bit puzzling.It also seem to have pink legs. I know it is a rotten photo , but it is all I have unfortunately. Any ideas?

Attachments

• Raptor , Tramantunas 3 oct 2018.jpg
    Raptor , Tramantunas 3 oct 2018.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 211
Hard to say, but if an osprey would have expected lighter under-wing colouring with some reflection from the sun at that angle.

Also not sure of juveniles, but adults have greyish legs. The wing length to body size seems to fit though for osprey.

This may have to stay unknown.

Hi ,

I stopped at Gorg Blau Reservor in the Tramantunas Mountains and took out my bridge camera to photograph some scenery. I wish I'd got out my good camera and got a better shot of this. I thought at the time it was a Griffon , but I'm finding the pale tail a bit puzzling.It also seem to have pink legs. I know it is a rotten photo , but it is all I have unfortunately. Any ideas?

Attachments

• 3EAF31C8-6D56-4889-8AC4-8C59F64AB2A2.jpeg
    3EAF31C8-6D56-4889-8AC4-8C59F64AB2A2.jpeg
    90.5 KB · Views: 18
My guess would be a Booted Eagle. The lower wingtip in the pic looks a bit too rounded for an osprey. Also the wing shape (ratio of distance to ‘elbow’ from body and wingtip) looks ok. Also lighter tail fits also.

Hard to say, but if an osprey would have expected lighter under-wing colouring with some reflection from the sun at that angle.

Also not sure of juveniles, but adults have greyish legs. The wing length to body size seems to fit though for osprey.

This may have to stay unknown.

Attachments

• 92EEE15D-9C8C-4A1A-8B2C-F8D3EEFB1DBE.jpg
    92EEE15D-9C8C-4A1A-8B2C-F8D3EEFB1DBE.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 37
how can you identify pink leg on such an image, I agree it is either an Osprey, an Egyptian Vulture, a Booted Eagle or something else, if you put a gun to my head, I'd say Osprey maybe

After 24 hrs. Been messing about with the levels. But can't get any clear image to help. But am struck by the flight profile image, length of arm, hand, primaries, tail, etc. Now am whole-heartedly in Osprey camp.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back