• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Making a portable battery pack for Canon (1 Viewer)

Forcreeks

If you want to see something new in nature!
United States
Having digiscoped since year 2000, I've made numerous adaptations, even produced a universal adapter for sale before scope makers offered them.
Now having upgraded my Canon Powershot S-100 which has produced numerous award shots for me, and shot 10,000's of frames, I worried about it dying with no good backup. I decided to buy, after trying with scope in-store the newer G9X with 1" CMOS and 20MP's; a nice jump from my 12MP camera.

But the NB13-L batteries are not only small, but very expensive. I did buy 2 third-party ones and a USB charger, and another cigarette lighter charger one on Amazon; but I had to deal with how to charge in long shoots sitting in my blind.

My wife asked about battery packs. There are none for these series cameras. I decided I might be able to make one, or ruin the camera with bad voltage trying! I had already bought an Arteck "Jump-Starter" and electronics charger with USB output and 8,000 mAh capacity (the NB13-L ones claim 1,500mAh, but users say they last no longer than Canon's 1,250mAh ones. I'll try to attach the photo of my setup on the scope. The G9X is the first I've had with a rubber plug into the battery compartment so the camera can be left on the tripod when a battery-slug from an AC adapter is installed. I will also link my review at the Amazon page of the iTekiro AC adapter which explains in more detail how the components work together. I was prepared to cut and solder a USB cable onto the battery-slug cable female plug-end, but the included 10-to-1 white USB cable (free!) had the right socket on it. Perfect. - Steve B.https://www.amazon.com/iTEKIRO-PowerShot-ACK-DC110-9838B001-Charging/dp/B01LXXFWAK/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1476568543&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=itekiro+ac+adapter+for+Canon+Powershot+G9X

Attachments

• Canon G9X with Arteck power IMG_0456.jpg
    Canon G9X with Arteck power IMG_0456.jpg
    169.8 KB · Views: 106
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back