• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

kitten for ID please (1 Viewer)

Surreybirder

Ken Noble
I'm sort of assuming this is a sallow kitten but could someone please confirm?
(Good catch last night, so about 120 photos to process! Ruby tiger and scarce footman are two 'ticks' I'm reasonably confident of.)

Attachments

• p-sallow_kitten.jpg
    p-sallow_kitten.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 111
  • p-sallow_kitten1.jpg
    p-sallow_kitten1.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 95
Not got my book to hand...(sorry!) so I can`t put a name to it but I think its one of the "other two" Kittens - I had my first Sallow Kitten last night and the defining ID character was that the dark central band was essentially uniform in width with a slightly scalloped trailing edge - whereas the "other two" have a sort of "scoop" out of the dark central band meaning they taper in width....

Wow! so helpful eh! Sorry

A bit of an improvement - probably a Poplar Kitten - for reasoning see above

Last edited:
Thanks, Jason,
It's certainly not an alder kitten, which I've had--and it's the wrong time of the year. Remain to be convinced re poplar, though--in fact, I'm leaning more towards sallow, looking at Skinner, "Poplar ...the outer margin of the central band of the forewing does not angle towards costa and is not dentate." But the thickness of the dark band is worrying me!
Ken

Last edited:
Sorry about that Ken - was working from memory - but worthwhile for me as I need to check out the Kitten I had last night - If yours is Sallow then mine wasn`t ;)

Here are a couple of Kittens I had earlier in the year. The first was on 14th June and the second on 14 May. Wouldn't mind having the experts' opinions on these as well please (sorry to complicate your thread Ken).

Attachments

• kitten_14jun_04_800a.jpg
    kitten_14jun_04_800a.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 84
  • kitten_14may_04_800a.jpg
    kitten_14may_04_800a.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 89
brianhstone said:
Here are a couple of Kittens I had earlier in the year. The first was on 14th June and the second on 14 May. Wouldn't mind having the experts' opinions on these as well please (sorry to complicate your thread Ken).
Interested to hear you were having kittens earlier in the year, Brian ;)

Not easy are they! I'd put the first down as sallow, on the basis of the dentated rear edge to the central stripe... and the second, looks more poplar-like......... but let's see what the experts think!
Ken

Last edited:
Surreybirder said:
Interested to hear you were having kittens earlier in the year, Brian ;)

Not easy are they! I'd put the first down as sallow, on the basis of the dentated rear edge to the central stripe... and the second, looks more poplar-like......... but let's see what the experts think!
Ken

I'd say all three were Sallow, with a slight caveat on Brian's second which might, just might, be a Poplar. Depends on size as well- was this bigger than the first (lefthand)one?

Haven't got the sizes to hand but the one on the right went down as Poplar and the one on the left as Sallow. I have had niggles about this since looking at the photos but I would have studied them carefully and taken size into consideration at the time.

brianhstone said:
A dorsal view of the last kittie.
I wish my photos were that good... save me a lot of ID probs!
I'm heading more towards sallow now... you can see slight dentations and the hind-edge of the central stripe seems more angled than shown by Skinner... but I'm open to correction ;)
Ken

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back