• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Two Months of Lifers Down Under (1 Viewer)

LOL John.... only saw one scary beastie while I was there and that was a Red-bellied Black Snake! He slithered off into the long grass after I'd taken a picture.

This one was empty, so safe enough. Had no idea sea shells were dangerous LOL.

You have brightened a dull rainy day with your trip report, Delia! :t:

Loving the posts and pics so far, what an awesome trip it must have been!

I am looking forward to reading more about your trip!

Thanks Pam and KC. It's rather nice reliving this remarkable trip.

We walked down between two lakes so I didn't know where to look right or left, then realised I should be looking up too, when Ken called an Australasian Darter flying over. I was too late for a picture of that one (well... and many other things over the weeks too!!).

We then turned into what was more like a flood forest and in there found an Intermediate Egret, some more Willie Wagtails, White Ibis, Australasian Grebe, so like our Little Grebe, and I was to later find they have a similar call too. Wandering Whistling Duck and Australasian Swamphen.

Attachments

• Comb-crested Jacanabf thread.jpg
    Comb-crested Jacanabf thread.jpg
    209.2 KB · Views: 76
  • Intermediate Egretbf thread.jpg
    Intermediate Egretbf thread.jpg
    331.4 KB · Views: 80
  • bfAustralasian Grebe thread.jpg
    bfAustralasian Grebe thread.jpg
    219.4 KB · Views: 85
  • Bf Wandering Whistling Duck thread.jpg
    Bf Wandering Whistling Duck thread.jpg
    190.2 KB · Views: 82
  • bf Australasian Swamphen thread.jpg
    bf Australasian Swamphen thread.jpg
    340.6 KB · Views: 80
Then, I suppose, one of the birds nearly everyone wants to see (birder or not), the Laughing Kookaburra. These two were singing a duet, which Ken and I just adored listening to.

I don't get to see Reed Warblers up here in Scotland (though I think they're now moving in) so was pleased to get a picture of an Australasian Reed Warbler, in the same area, a Magpie-Lark was pottering around.

Moving on I saw a Great Egret, not a lifer, though I've only seen a couple before, but this one is a different subspecies of course, along with him was a Royal Spoonbill - my only previous sighting of a spoonbill was a distant fly-by many years ago in Pagham Harbour.

Attachments

• Bf Australian Reed Warbler thread.jpg
    Bf Australian Reed Warbler thread.jpg
    295.5 KB · Views: 87
  • BF Magpie Lark thread.jpg
    BF Magpie Lark thread.jpg
    229.5 KB · Views: 68
  • BF Great Egret thread.jpg
    BF Great Egret thread.jpg
    427.7 KB · Views: 62
  • BF Royal Spoonbill thread.jpg
    BF Royal Spoonbill thread.jpg
    245.7 KB · Views: 75
  • BF Kookaburra thread.jpg
    BF Kookaburra thread.jpg
    352.9 KB · Views: 96
I saw a lump up in a tree and asked Ken what it was. Turned out to be a termite nest. I didn't know they did that, thought they built mounds on the ground. He found me some termites by scratching away at the bark of a tree.... so tiny, thought they were like large ants. Tiny but apparently so destructive!

Coming out from the darkness of the tree cover a Black-faced Cuckooshrike was showing high on a branch... didn't really do him justice with my quick photograb against the light. Back to water and another newbie in a rather attractive Hardhead duck. A bit dark really for getting a good image of a Little Black Cormorant.

But then.... I was beginning to struggle with my sore back and it was getting rather hot too. I took the opportunity of a seat in some shade. Ken went off to see if another track was worth exploring. I suddenly spotted a movement in the grass and saw, well I couldn't believe it.... a tiny, long-tailed beautiful blue beauty! A Superb Fairywren, the reason I'd gone all that way. This was my target bird and I saw him on my second birding day. Not only that I found him for myself LOL.

Ken was so pleased for me when he returned.

Attachments

• BF Termite nest thread.jpg
    BF Termite nest thread.jpg
    378.8 KB · Views: 69
  • BF Black-faced Cuckooshrike thread.jpg
    BF Black-faced Cuckooshrike thread.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 49
  • BF Hardhead thread.jpg
    BF Hardhead thread.jpg
    179.8 KB · Views: 52
  • BF Little Black Cormorant thread.jpg
    BF Little Black Cormorant thread.jpg
    261.9 KB · Views: 48
  • BF Superb Fairywren thread.jpg
    BF Superb Fairywren thread.jpg
    260.9 KB · Views: 99
Couldn't stop after that excitement though and continued our wanderings through the wetland. soon coming across my second honeyeater of the trip, Noisy Friarbird. You know it's a friarbird if it has a bump on its bill. I chose this particular picture as it shows that feature quite well.

Back into the wetlands area and up comes a Little Egret and Eurasian Coot not Lifers of course, seen many in the UK, but different subspecies. However, Little Pied Cormorant and Australasian Darter very much were. I've long been fascinated by the extra long neck of the darter.

Attachments

• BF Noisy Friarbird thread.jpg
    BF Noisy Friarbird thread.jpg
    210.5 KB · Views: 68
  • BF Little Egret thread.jpg
    BF Little Egret thread.jpg
    287.3 KB · Views: 48
  • BF Eurasian Coot thread.jpg
    BF Eurasian Coot thread.jpg
    256.5 KB · Views: 42
  • BF Little Pied Cormorant thread.jpg
    BF Little Pied Cormorant thread.jpg
    271.3 KB · Views: 46
  • BF Australasian Darter thread.jpg
    BF Australasian Darter thread.jpg
    261.1 KB · Views: 50
I've been looking forward to hearing about the earlier part of your trip, Delia, excellent reading! And that was not a cone shell btw, just an ordinary tower shell!

...... my second honeyeater of the trip, Noisy Friarbird. You know it's a friarbird if it has a bump on its bill. .......
Delia, sounds like you had a wonderful trip and went to some very 'birdy' places :t:

The Noisy Friarbird looks thoroughly prehistoric ! They have a distinctive raucous call. I see a few of them around here and since I was a kid I've always called them dinosaur birds ! lol :-O

It was only when I was watching the latest David Attenborough series "Life" episode on Australia that I recall ever hearing for the first time a Cassowary call. They already have the T-Rex dagger taloned feet - but they sound like real life Velociraptors ! Now that is prehistoric ! :eek!:

Chosun :gh:

Superb Fairywren is one of those dream birds I must admit - was that the only one you saw? I'd hate to go all that way and not see one, but I'm not sure how common they are.

No Nick.... you're OK I saw plenty (and I'll likely post some better pictures when I get to them).

I also saw some other FW's too - Red-backed, - Red-winged, Splendid and Varigated. Not all produced great pictures though.... they're much smaller than I thought, hardly keep still, and love being in bushes!

In fact a lot of the birds were much smaller than I'd imagined.... but oh how colourful they are!

Scridifer said:
Just love that Superb Fairywren Delia! Congratulations on getting your target so early Lass!

Thanks Chris. Must admit I was surprised LOL

No Nick.... you're OK I saw plenty (and I'll likely post some better pictures when I get to them).

I also saw some other FW's too - Red-backed, - Red-winged, Splendid and Varigated. Not all produced great pictures though.... they're much smaller than I thought, hardly keep still, and love being in bushes!

In fact a lot of the birds were much smaller than I'd imagined.... but oh how colourful they are!

Along with a Victoria's Riflebird (I think only twitchable on the extreme tip of Oz around NE Queensland I think), Superb Fairy Wren is THE bird I would love to see if I ever make it there. But there are loads of great bird species to see.

Sounds like a great trip Delia. Once in a lifetime experience!

Last edited:
I didn't get that high Nick. Did find a female Paradise Riflebird at O'Reilly's though.

Any Bird of Paradise must be incredible to see - many congratulations!
I'm envious but just not sure I could manage the flight at my age.
When I retire in a few years, I've privately promised myself a special trip birding.
Australia is number one on my list. This report gives me inspiration!
Great read Delia!

just not sure I could manage the flight at my age

Aaaaw cummon Nick.... you must be about 20 years younger than me!! Of course you can do it!

Fantastic, well done. I have flown to Oz in my 20s and it was exhausting, unfortunately I wasn't a birder then, but I do have blurry pics (on slides) of some species.
It must have been a truly thrilling experience. And tons of memories to treasure. Really mouthwatering stuff: the problem for us is the cost, as there's three of us! Keep it coming!

Nice report

I didn't get that high Nick. Did find a female Paradise Riflebird at O'Reilly's though.

Nice report and photos Delia

Nick - if you make it to Australia you can get Victoria's Riflebird at Cassowary Lodge near Cairns as well as the Cassowary. If lucky can be viewed in luxury over a nice breakfast.
It is Magnificent Riflebird that needs a trip up to the tip or over to PNG.

Wandering back we came upon a turtle in one of the lakes. I think it's a Brisbane Short-necked Turtle, but have asked the Reptile forum for confirmation. In the same lake was a Glossy Ibis not a Lifer as I'd seen one at Kinnordy a year or so back. I'd forgotten how small they are though.

Just after I'd collapsed onto a seat, Ken spotted a Water Dragon, which got me going again LOL. I enjoyed watching him.

As we were leaving an Osprey flew over. Currently these seem to be a subspecies, though I can definitely see a difference from our one.

On the way home an Australian Pipit was feeding on a grass verge, I could only take a picture through the windscreen unfortunately.

Attachments

• BF Brisbane Short-necked Turtle thread.jpg
    BF Brisbane Short-necked Turtle thread.jpg
    235.8 KB · Views: 35
  • BF Glossy Ibis thread.jpg
    BF Glossy Ibis thread.jpg
    259.1 KB · Views: 36
  • BF Water Dragon thread.jpg
    BF Water Dragon thread.jpg
    183.8 KB · Views: 39
  • BF Eastern Osprey thread.jpg
    BF Eastern Osprey thread.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 44
  • BF Australian Pipit Thread.jpg
    BF Australian Pipit Thread.jpg
    275.5 KB · Views: 42
Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back