• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Who? What? Where? Etc? of Opus?? (1 Viewer)

sbarnhardt

Jack of a few trades Master of notta!
Opus Editor
United States
I'm a recent convert to "formalized" birding in general and this "forum" in particular. I'm using Merlin, Ebird, BirdNET, and Audubon for reference and identifying birds. In getting involved here on this forum, I saw a reference to "Opus." This morning I've started trying to see what Opus is, who it's for, where it is, what it is, etc. So far, I haven't found anything that will give me, a newcomer to Opus, the who, what, where, etc. of Opus. So, I'm asking if there is a thread or person, can, and will help me with this.

Thanks!

Hi sbarnhardt

The Opus is Birdforum's encyclopaedia. There are articles on all the birds of the world (over 10000) and the places you can see them.

The 5th tab in the row at the top of your screen will take you to the Home Page from where you can type in the name of a bird (or the genus) and read up on the species such as Ruby-throated Hummingbird.

Also you could type in a location, perhaps a named reserve, country, state etc, like Texas and find information on places to visit there and what birds and other wildlife may live in the area.

If you need any help to get started editing, or finding what you're looking for, please don't be afraid to ask.

When you are free of the minor New Member restrictions you will be able to edit and add extra information, or update the articles, or start a new one on a place you know.

Ah!

I just found a button/link on the "home page" for the site. I'm thinking I may have answered my own question.

However, I'm still open to any thoughts and/or comments someone might have for a person who only recently discovered Opus!

Thanks!

LOL we cross posted!!

If you need anything more, after looking through my post, please don't be afraid to ask.

Thanks to you both!

I notice there is only one entry (Eastern/Coastal) for my home state of North Carolina in the US.

At some point, I'd like to see that improved. I'm assuming that's something an individual is allowed to do?

Thanks to you both!

I notice there is only one entry (Eastern/Coastal) for my home state of North Carolina in the US.

At some point, I'd like to see that improved. I'm assuming that's something an individual is allowed to do?

Indeed it is! And would be most welcome too.

You only have a few more days and a few more posts and you will suddenly see the relevant buttons appearing to enable you to do it.

Let me know when you're ready and I'll talk you through doing the first one.

You only have a few more days and a few more posts and you will suddenly see the relevant buttons appearing to enable you to do it.

I will most certainly take you up on that! I'll look forward to it!

In the meantime till "my buttons appear", is there such a thing as "checklist" or another reference that can be referred to? I'll be working on assembling the needed information, etc. while I'm waiting and save it to my hard drive or a flash drive in the meantime.

Here's a link to the Editing Help article: https://www.birdforum.net/opus/Editing_Help:Guideline_for_Location_Articles

It may sound complicated at first but it's actually fairly straight-forward once you start doing it.

But it gives you the standard order and the type of information that we would like included, don't be daunted by it. You don't have to add everything at once, it can be edited and added to over time.

Please try not to copy/paste information from another website (copyright infringement) but try to put it in your own words.

Hi again lad.

There are just a few restrictions placed on new members, which you can read more about here.

The time will soon pass, I'm sure.

I used to edit, but stopped soon after the ability to e.g. correct typos in page titles came in. I asked about the difference between those who are called 'Opus Editor' in their profile and everyone else, and got an unclear, but rather snooty answer, plus no guidelines on how to become an "official" 'Opus editor' (from my experience of wikis, I'd suspect the title 'Opus editor' should actually be called 'Opus moderator'?). Felt my edits were no longer being welcomed, so stopped.

I "think" my buttons for Opus use have arrived.

I've been working on putting into words on a digital document what I'd propose using to start a section on Piedmont North Carolina.

Getting to this "talking through" you mentioned in your quoted posting, how would that best be accomplished? Should I submit to you via email my proposed information? Or, should I actually begin this new section, post the information, as I get it done, and you look it over that way?

My intent is to do this in a manner that will be a credit to Opus.

I await your guidance!

Thanks!

I've just had a look and "Piedmont" seems quite a popular name LOL. So the title will have to be be different from the other one (in South Carolina) of course.

Type the correct name into the Search bar (though this can be changed later if necessary), then when you get the next page up select Create Page from the options.

When that page opens paste this in on that page (will save you a lot of typing);)

==Overview==
''To do''
==Birds==
===Notable Species===
''To do''
===Rarities===
''To do''
===Check-list===
{{BirdsSee|
''To do''}}
==Other Wildlife==
''To do''
==Site Information==
===History and Use===
''To do''
===Areas of Interest===
''To do''
===Access and Facilities===
''To do''
===Contact Details===
''To do''
==External Links==
''To do''

[[Category:Locations]] [[Category:North Carolina]]

When you've done that select Preview.

Don't feel you have to fill in all the sections immediately. And some may not be relevant to the site, so they can eventually be deleted.

Either PM me or post back here if there's anything you don't understand or not sure how to do something.

I have started the page with the title "Piedmont Region of North Carolina."

More will come as will enhancement of what is there now.

Well done lad. Excellent.

I've made a minor change, by moving the web links into the External Links section and think I left it all reading OK as you intended. And also added a Gallery search (just one picture picked up at the moment;))

The pentultimate paragraph in Overview... I just wonder if that would be better placed in the Access and Facilities section?

One additional piece of advice: save reasonably often as you otherwise risk losing your work.

Niels

Well done lad. Excellent.

I've made a minor change, by moving the web links into the External Links section and think I left it all reading OK as you intended. And also added a Gallery search (just one picture picked up at the moment;))

The pentultimate paragraph in Overview... I just wonder if that would be better placed in the Access and Facilities section?
Thank you for your kind sentiments! It is appreciated!

Speaking to the web links, when I put those in, I thought they probably should have gone down there. But I'd not yet looked into the "what & how" of adding links in that section. So, I opted to include them knowing I'd likely need to move them after I'd satisfied myself I could pull it off. I'll likely have more as time goes on and I'm sure I will master the task.

And lastly, I "think" I've accomplished what you meant by moving that paragraph. Let me know if I succeeded?

Thank you for your kind sentiments! It is appreciated!

Speaking to the web links, when I put those in, I thought they probably should have gone down there. But I'd not yet looked into the "what & how" of adding links in that section. So, I opted to include them knowing I'd likely need to move them after I'd satisfied myself I could pull it off. I'll likely have more as time goes on and I'm sure I will master the task.

:t:
No probs. You can copy the coding that I put in to supply the link down to External Links; you just need to watch the numbering, or.... :eek!:;)

And lastly, I "think" I've accomplished what you meant by moving that paragraph. Let me know if I succeeded?

Ummmm.... not quite LOL. You moved the last paragraph. I was thinking of the one before where you talk about the roads and airport, that give you access to the area.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back