• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Unknown sandpiper (Dan Diego, California) & Unknown Tanager (Cotopaxi, Ecuador) (2 Viewers)

On a recent trip to California I observed a flock of sandpipers, semipalmated or white rumped? Some help with ID would be appreciated.

Another trip to Ecuador, I came across this tanager; moss backed or blue and yellow tanager?

Thanks

Attachments

• CE5980FA-C004-472B-83BD-E24CA56E9B6B.png
    CE5980FA-C004-472B-83BD-E24CA56E9B6B.png
    48.8 KB · Views: 89
  • 3310F1CC-8706-421B-8538-2D1CB5EEAEAB.png
    3310F1CC-8706-421B-8538-2D1CB5EEAEAB.png
    103 KB · Views: 78
  • 7B6D42C9-B4EE-4EDB-BE7A-7FD208AC6E35.png
    7B6D42C9-B4EE-4EDB-BE7A-7FD208AC6E35.png
    274.1 KB · Views: 64
Mostly looks like B&Y Tanager, except possibly the blue does not reach far enough down the throat (your image shows the bird extremely small). Moss-backed should have yellow lower mandible just to mention one difference.
Compare for example here: https://www.birdforum.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=541951

Niels

I think it's OK for blue and yellow. The photo angle doesn't let you see how far down the blue extends. But we can see the black eye mask of blue and yellow, and although it's difficult to judge, the lower mandible doesn't look yellow as you said

I'm sure you're right, but I'm just curious, what's the difference between a Least Sandpiper and a Western Sandpiper? Because my first thought when I saw the sandpipers was Western.

The easiest difference, which you can see on most birds unless the legs are covered in mud etc, is that legs of least are yellow and of western black.

Are the legs yellow or black on these ones? They look black to me

They look dark greenish to me. But the species can easily be confirmed by a number of other features, notably structure and proportions (legs/toes, bill length/shape), but also the plumage details and the overall shape and stance.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back