• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Panasonic FZ300 problems (1 Viewer)

colincurry

England
I mainly use this camera as a backup or a walk around camera when I am without my DSLR. It works well for street stuff and scenery and buildings.

I have just been experimenting with macro and using my Raynox DCR 150 and am generally pleased with the results.

Where I am less pleased is with the colour rendition of flowers which are very different from the subject; and the lack of punch in insect shots.

I first noticed the colour problems trying to photograph alpines on Spitzbergen, and the problem persists. I have tried various picture styles and changed the settings in all of them but cannot find an answer. I wonder if anyone else has had this problem.

So far as the lack of punch is concerned, I find that using Auto Tone in Photoshop helps a great deal. Bit of a cheat really but can't get the same results in Camera RAW (not a fan of Lightroom).

Thanks

Colin

I have no real experience with your camera but I am sure it is a white-balance problem with the flower colors. Look in the manual/online on how to set white balance manually and see if that would help.

Second thing: does your camera raw allow you do make an S shape in the tone curves? that usually improves the punch of a photo.

Niels

Thank you Niels.

I don't know how long ago the white balance setting was fed in. I thought I was on Automatic White Balance but when I checked it was Kelvin 2500K so no wonder the colours were skewed. Just took a shot of a delicate pink and the colour was just fine.

Have also been taking more snaps of hoverflies and they do not seem the least bit washed out. Haven't processed them yet but I am much happier.

Usually use my DSLR but thought I would try the FZ300 with my Raynox DCR 150. It is so long since I really used the FZ300 or tried to change some of the settings, that I had to RTFM.

Thanks again

Colin

I think my problem was with the WB adjustment - one step too many on the slider options and you from AWB to 2100K - with disastrous results.

I have just checked a flower that I took with the 2100K yesterday and today with AWB, and then again with 2100K (I had deleted the previous 2100K pic). Results were dramatic. Lesson learned.

Colin

PPS Re-visited the hoverfly pics which 'lacked punch', ran them through Camera Raw and changed the white balance. Bingo!!

Colin

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back