• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Red Rocks Marsh NNR, Merseyside (1 Viewer)

Still just a few Chiffchaff and Goldcrests trickling through, odd Siskins overhead and a few jackdaws.

We have a meeting with CWT and Natural England, regarding the damage to the site.

And I think you can use Freedom of Information Act requests - at least with Natural England - to ask for copies of all relevant records - emails etc if you need to?

Why should a charity be exempt from FOI requests, surely they should be as accountable as every other registered organisation

Why should a charity be exempt from FOI requests, surely they should be as accountable as every other registered organisation

FOI only applies to public bodies eg local government, central government and "quangos". Charities are (alledgely) accountable via their constitutions; perhaps its a matter to be raised at the AGM or similar

A bit warmer and much stiller this morning. Singles of Chiffchaff, Goldcrest and Coal tit plus a pair of Long-tailed Tits were the highlight of the mighrants.

4 Water Rails are still in the marsh and a Peregrine went over. Two pairs of Mallard appear to settled - one male has perfected landing on the fence, the other falls off when trying to land.

There is a dead Grey Seal on the beach.

Attachments

• S0370065 - Copy.JPG
    S0370065 - Copy.JPG
    299.4 KB · Views: 62
  • S0380066.JPG
    S0380066.JPG
    514.5 KB · Views: 64
  • S0400068.JPG
    S0400068.JPG
    683.2 KB · Views: 77
  • S0430072.JPG
    S0430072.JPG
    237.7 KB · Views: 53
  • S0440074.JPG
    S0440074.JPG
    95 KB · Views: 65
There was also a dead seal on Hilbre on Saturday (29 March). Also, would it be possible that I saw Meadow Pipits on Hilbre? Certainly looked like their breast markings but not sure if they would be on the island. Didn't get long enough a view to get more detailed observation.

There have been a few Willow Warblers and Chiffchaffs over the past few days. Today a Merlin went low through the dunes and crossed to Hilbre. The Reed Buntings are looking smart.

Attachments

• S0150218.JPG
    S0150218.JPG
    430.5 KB · Views: 48
  • S0170224.JPG
    S0170224.JPG
    532.4 KB · Views: 39
  • S0260241.JPG
    S0260241.JPG
    469.6 KB · Views: 51
Here are the agreed minutes of the deeply unsatisfactory meeting with CWT and NE

Edit: Just heard back from NE that they have some additions - so these should be considered draft.

Attachments

• Minutes of Meeting at Red Rocks 28th Mar 2014.pdf
    78.9 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:
Here are the agreed minutes of the deeply unsatisfactory meeting with CWT and NE

Edit: Just heard back from NE that they have some additions - so these should be considered draft.

So basically CWT/NE are saying that they know best and please go away... Or am I misreading that?

The minutes read like a combination of arrogance, arse covering and misinterpretations. Just a few things that popped out immediately.
The SP qualifying species are for the Dee Estuary, not Red Rocks Marsh. Attempting to 'blind with science' aka bull****.
The Poplars have become 'long established' but still no-one can 'remember' anything about them. What a surprise! Selective amnesia?
The Sandhill Rustic and Equisetum aren't 'listed' so ......... Who cares?

So basically CWT/NE are saying that they know best and please go away... Or am I misreading that?
seems rather arrogant. they appear to believe they're untouchable. they oughta be prosecuted for gross negligence & vandalism

isn't there more we can do apart from emails? i seem to recall someone mentioning social media earlier in the thread, although i don't do f/b or twitter. we've all signed online petitions of some sort or other (or is that just me, hehe). is that worth pursuing? CWT & NE must be answerable to some body or other. could we go over their heads?

jane, i think you mentioned you'd contacted RSPB? have you had anything back?

It felt like spring proper this morning. A male Ring Ouzel was in what is left of the Superbowl - but it flew off chacking, only to reappear some hours later at the gorse in the southern dunes. A few Willow Warblers were about and the first proper numbers of hirundines passed through - 51 Sand Martins and a Swallow. The most impressive sight of the day was 1415 Golden Plover in three flocks, heading strongly N.

Other migrants included 5 Redwings down feeding on the Ivy berries before heading north, 2 Wheatears in the Dunes, the 1st proper numbers of Redpolls (25) 82 Meadow Pipits and 2 Siskin.

Wandering waifs and strays included 2 Tree Sparrows (the 1st of the year) and a very fleeting visit from an exceptionally smart male Stonechat, in possession of a strongly white rump and huge neck patches. It circled at the point for 5 mins, eventually landing for a second or two on the aerial of the nursing home... bad photos, but you can get an impression of how special it was.

Attachments

• stonechat.jpg
    stonechat.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 62
In other news, I had to make a fast drive to the end of Stanly Red to see the 1st teal of the year (280) sat on the sea at the end of Stanley Rd. In them was a drake Green-winged Teal - as far down the list of birds I expected to see at Red Rocks as is possible.

In other news, I had to make a fast drive to the end of Stanly Red to see the 1st teal of the year (280) sat on the sea at the end of Stanley Rd. In them was a drake Green-winged Teal - as far down the list of birds I expected to see at Red Rocks as is possible.

A nice find for the area - presumably the BMW bird

CB

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back