• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds of the West Indies 2nd ed (1 Viewer)

It seems the number species listed is the same as in first edition. However, I would wait until further information is forthcoming before doing anything. One improvement I would like would be to have a better order: in the first edition softcover field guide on my shelf, Eared and White-winged doves are on one page, a bunch of quail doves on the next, and then Zenaida and Mourning doves on the third. (the original big hardcover version had a more logical order).

Niels

I'd be curious to hear a bit of your reasoning if you don't mind elaborating? Cheers and thanks in advance for any insight.

Cutting in for lack of response of the OP: I agree with his evaluation. The LYNX illustrations are usually considerably closer to the real birds. I have the first edition, but the sample pictures found in the "net" for the new edition show the style has not generally changed. Purple Martin is still too blue, to just mention one example.

I have to say that my evaluation at this point is a bit more nuanced. I find that (when compared to the first edition Raffaele et al.) the shorebirds are better in the Lynx field guide. However, the situation is opposite when comparing bill shape of Icteridae; then the Raffaele guide is better. Given that other guides such as the Sibley app contains all the local shorebirds, it might be more important to get the guide that is strong on the local birds. Some other details might be better in the newer guide (Lynx) but might be equaled in the second edition Raffaele guide.

Disclaimer: i have not seen the second edition of the Raffaele guide.

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back