• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Montagu's Harrier (1 Viewer)

mat

Hi all,
might manage a day or two in norfolk this weekend- are there any breeding Monty's this year??
obviously a pm might be a lot more appropriate
thanks in advance for any help
cheers
Mat

I beleive that there are breeding Monty's in Norfolk again this year, but I would actively discourage anyone from posting information about them on any public forum, anyone can read the threads on here...

The RSPB are planning to open a Montagu's Harrier watchpoint on Friday, but not in Norfolk. Quite close though.

Steve

I'd never condone the revealing of a nest site but I do wonder how long this particular news black-out is going to last - after all the first birder you meet in Norfolk will ask if you've seen them and tell you where to go to look if you haven't! ;)

I'd never condone the revealing of a nest site but I do wonder how long this particular news black-out is going to last - after all the first birder you meet in Norfolk will ask if you've seen them and tell you where to go to look if you haven't! ;)

When I visited the 'secret' site last week, about a dozen other birders stopped there during the 30 minutes I was there. More seriously, one birder didn't believe it was 'the' viewpoint, because it had been on the next road along in a previous year. So he headed off to try to find another viewpoint, which was probably closer to the nesting area. Perhaps if the location was more publicly acknowledged, there would be fewer people roaming around other areas, causing unnecessary disturbance.

Ditto, Tried one site with the local RSPB group last weekend, but weather was poor and weren't overly sure we had the right location so any info would be appreciated via PM of course!

Shame it couldnt be made public and the relevant landowner given an opportunity for charging parking - theyd make a fortune. The landowner would certainly protect the birds then!

Perhaps the landowner doesnt want to - it must be pretty obvious to him/her about the level of interest given how popular it is even as a "secret". The traffic cops might not be too happy either, I guess.

Shame it couldnt be made public and the relevant landowner given an opportunity for charging parking - theyd make a fortune. The landowner would certainly protect the birds then!

I think that at the site (that everyone on this thread is not mentioning) the landowner is fully aware of the birds being there and also of the importance of them as a rare breeding species. The nest site is (or was at the start of the season) close to the place where people stop to watch, large numbers of people coming to an official watchpoint could well have cause significant disturbance. I have heard that they birds are now showing at some distance from the view point, so perhaps they were disturbed even by the low numbers of birders.

large numbers of people coming to an official watchpoint could well have cause significant disturbance. I have heard that they birds are now showing at some distance from the view point, so perhaps they were disturbed even by the low numbers of birders.

there was some quite serious disturbance there, from a pair of idiot birders.

One publicised site for the year listers etc probably alleviates pressure elsewhere. Be nice if people coujld be more resonsible though.

The RSPB are planning to open a Montagu's Harrier watchpoint on Friday, but not in Norfolk. Quite close though.

Details of the viewpoint have now been released:

RSPB Media Release. THE FULL MONTY: A pair of Montagu’s Harriers, the UK’s rarest breeding birds of prey are nesting at Digby Fen between Lincoln and Boston.
From Saturday June 23, seven days a week, the RSPB are running a viewpoint to help enable the public to see these incredible birds. The RSPB viewpoint will be open from 9 am until 7 pm on weekdays, 8 am until 8 pm on weekends and public holidays from Saturday 23 June until Monday 26 August. The viewpoint is free, but there is a suggested donation of £2 per vehicle to help cover the costs of running the project.
The viewpoint car park is mid way along the Digby Fen Road. The site will be signposted from the A17.

I've not been directly involved in the north Norfolk arrangements but my understanding is the land owner does not want to make this site any more public - the fact that birders chat to each other and that the birds are in a place birders might just happen upon them is the reason for low level arrangements - ie, a place for cars.

Following the success of the Lincolnshire Full Monty in 2004, the RSPB have been hoping to repeat a similar project. For various reasons, landowner's wishes in the above case, or nest sites in unsuitable places for a viewing project, we've not been able to. Happily, in 2007, our East England office has been able to organise The Full Monty 2007.

Hopefully, like our other Aren't birds brilliant projects, this will be of interest to a wide cross section of the public including birders and will raise awareness about harriers and conservation in general. Fingers crossed for the birds!

Best wishes

Richard Bashford

Watched the Digby fen birds today. An ideal full monty site with both male and female showing. Hobby also flew over and kestrels nesting in owl box just in front of viewing area, so plenty to see. Viewing is free but £2 for parking the car. RSPB wardens will be in full time attendance. RAF harriers on their way to Coningsby also flying over as well!

If landowners and farmers are made aware generally they are very helpfull and understanding. But in view of earlier threads on the subject you can understand them not wanting open season on their land, crops and livelihood.

We had a farmer in Suffolk who used to respect the nest site on the Stone Curlew e.g. stop his tractor move the eggs, continue then return the eggs to the nest!!

Hi Mat- did you have any success with the Monty's? If anyone can PM me with site details I would appreciate it, im going to try and make it to norfolk this weekend.
Cheers,
Jim.

Went to Digby Fen today - quite superb views of both birds, plus supporting cast of Marsh Harrier, Tree Sparrow, Yellow Wag etc - themn home via Welbeck Watchpooint where we saw Osprey, Honey Buzzard and Turtle Dove - an outstanding day!

Hi all,
might manage a day or two in norfolk this weekend- are there any breeding Monty's this year??
obviously a pm might be a lot more appropriate
thanks in advance for any help
cheers
Mat

just a thought and not nessacarily concerned with this thread but if the info is not appropriate for public veiwing how do the people who pm people know who their pm ing or what that persons intentions are just a general question and not aimed at you mat

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back