• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

MM2 with focussing problem (1 Viewer)

Sancho

Europe
I´ve an MM2 that has developed a problem with the focussing wheel, which now spins on its axis or pin but doesn´t focus. I´ve e-mailed Opticron about it, I´m sure it´ll get sorted out eventually but as it´s the Xmas season it´ll probably take a while...I won´t bother sending it off before the New Year. I just wondered if anyone else has experienced a similar problem, and if it sounds like it involves worn internal threads or something like that. (Sorry, I´m non-technical). It´s not a matter of life and death, I´m just curious. Any advice appreciated. Thanks in advance and Happy Christmas.

Hi Sancho

I had a similar problem with my Opticron ES80 scope, except the focussing wheel would come right off. This exposed the metal spindle which it locks on to normally and I found I could focus by turning this between two fingers until I could get a proper repair done. Of course, I don't know if the MM2 works in the same way - I would guess it would though. So if the focussing wheel pulls off, that might be worth a try as a temporary solution.

I phoned Opticron and found them very helpful. They repaired it by return of post under the guarantee.

Hi Sancho

I had a similar problem with my Opticron ES80 scope, except the focussing wheel would come right off. This exposed the metal spindle which it locks on to normally and I found I could focus by turning this between two fingers until I could get a proper repair done. Of course, I don't know if the MM2 works in the same way - I would guess it would though. So if the focussing wheel pulls off, that might be worth a try as a temporary solution.

I phoned Opticron and found them very helpful. They repaired it by return of post under the guarantee.
Thanks Level Seven, good to know! Happy Christmas!

I´ve an MM2 that has developed a problem with the focussing wheel, which now spins on its axis or pin but doesn´t focus. I´ve e-mailed Opticron about it, I´m sure it´ll get sorted out eventually but as it´s the Xmas season it´ll probably take a while...I won´t bother sending it off before the New Year. I just wondered if anyone else has experienced a similar problem, and if it sounds like it involves worn internal threads or something like that. (Sorry, I´m non-technical). It´s not a matter of life and death, I´m just curious. Any advice appreciated. Thanks in advance and Happy Christmas.

I'm shooting from the' hip' here. Is there a
small grub screw in the focusing wheel that
needs tightening? look for a small hole in the wheel!

Kind regards,
young Ian.

I'm shooting from the' hip' here. Is there a
small grub screw in the focusing wheel that
needs tightening? look for a small hole in the wheel!

Kind regards,
young Ian.
Thanks, Young Ian, there are two tiny holes, one on either side of the focussing wheel (visible after I remove the rubber cover). I´ve no idea what kind of tool goes into them, they don´t seem to be for a tiny allen-key or anything like that. But I suspect you may be onto something!

Thanks, Young Ian, there are two tiny holes, one on either side of the focussing wheel (visible after I remove the rubber cover). I´ve no idea what kind of tool goes into them, they don´t seem to be for a tiny allen-key or anything like that. But I suspect you may be onto something!

Sancho,
I suspect a small 'watchmaker' type
screw driver will do the trick! Flat or cross
head type screw driver? Although There are
some minute allen-keys about of today.
Also if you look into the focusing wheel
barrel you might see the the ends of the grub
screws.

Kind regards,
young Ian.

Sancho,
I suspect a small 'watchmaker' type
screw driver will do the trick! Flat or cross
head type screw driver? Although There are
some minute allen-keys about of today.
Also if you look into the focusing wheel
barrel you might see the the ends of the grub
screws.

Kind regards,
young Ian.

Chris - thanks, I contacted them and they were indeed helpful so I´ll send it off to them after Xmas!:t:

Young Ian - it´s odd, the little holes are tiny, and seem to receive a tiny pointed instrument that doesn´t look like any type of screwdriver, it´s simply round headed and pointy. Oddly, the upper edges of the little holes are threaded. I´ve no idea what it´s about, so it´s best if I don´t mess about with it, given that I´d probably forfeit any warranty I have. Yes, when I look into the focussing wheel, I can see the head of a brass-coloured pin of some sort, but it doesn´t have any grooves on it to receive a screwdriver, and it rotates with the focussing wheel. Think I´ll let Opticron look after this one, but the inquisitive side of me would love to see how the whole thing is put together!

Opticron are usually very very helpful - phone them on 01582 726522.
You were spot on, Chris.....I contacted Opticron in early January, sent the MM2 off to them on the 16th, and it arrived back today perfectly restored and repaired. I hadn't even enclosed a receipt of purchase, 'cos I'd lost it, and they didn't charge me a cent. Brilliant Customer Service!

Hi,

I just had exactly the same problem with my second-hand MM2. Phoned Opticron and it turns out that the holes are actually for an extremely small allen key. So you can fix it yourself without too much trouble once you have the tool (I did.) But they would have been quite happy to fix it for me at no charge - even without the guarantee! Excellent customer service.

Tom

Hi,

I just had exactly the same problem with my second-hand MM2. Phoned Opticron and it turns out that the holes are actually for an extremely small allen key. So you can fix it yourself without too much trouble once you have the tool (I did.) But they would have been quite happy to fix it for me at no charge - even without the guarantee! Excellent customer service.

Tom

Wonder if they would send out the appropriate allen key? If that failed you could send it in.

By the way, how is the MM2? I am thinking of getting one for my travels abroad. I have an ES80 and use 15-45 HDF zoom lens. Are they interchangeable?

By the way, how is the MM2? I am thinking of getting one for my travels abroad. I have an ES80 and use 15-45 HDF zoom lens. Are they interchangeable?

I have a MM2 that I use as a travel scope and with a lightweight tripod it's pretty good, nice and light but it doesn't compare to bigger more powerful scopes obviously. It isn't waterproof. I bought mine before Nikon brought out the ED50 and that is the better small scope which I would have gone for if they had been around at the time. I can't answer your question about the interchangeability of the eyepieces. I have a zoom eyepiece that I bought with the scope.

Appreciate your responses folks, thank you.

I often do weekend trips to Europe via budget airlines, and am trying to do away with having to check in hold baggage. I could fit binos, MM2, and essentials in a carry-on bag.

Just need a suitable very compact travel tripod now.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back