• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Finding an Eastern Screech-Owl near Dallas (1 Viewer)

HelenB

Opus Editor and Expat from Cumbria
Opus Editor
We spent Thanksgiving with our son and his wife in the DFW Metroplex and took the opportunity to bird a local state park - Cedar Hill, on Saturday, Nov. 28th. It was a cool and sunny, but very windy day, so bird sightings were a bit sparse. However, we wandered into an historical farm area and did some looking in some old barns for signs of owls. Then we came across one which we couldn't get into, but there was an opening high in one gable end and through it I spotted a roosting owl. Not being sure of the species we took some photos and I posted a couple here in the ID forum.

Thanks to all the folks here who helped identify the little fellow as a red morph Eastern Screech-Owl (Otus asio). This is only the second time we've seen a Screech-Owl and this time we found it ourselves. The first time we were on an evening "Owl Prowl" at the Houston Audubon Society's sanctuary in Houston and they used a tape to call it in. Screech-Owls are about 8.5" in size and have 3 colour morphs: grey, brown and red.

I've put together several photos on a page on my website. Here's the URL: http://helensbirds.homestead.com/owl.html

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back