• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Herring Gull with unusual primary pattern, W Yorks (1 Viewer)

davpen

Adult Herring Gull with an interesting combination of primary patterning, although with the large mirror on P9 and the unbroken white tip to P10 it's presumably just an odd-looking argentatus(?).

David

Attachments

• HGOldfield06Dec17.jpg
    HGOldfield06Dec17.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 76
Got northern 'tatus written all over it Dave. Great looking bird!

Similar bird here: http://www.gull-research.org/hg/hg5cy/addec86.html

While I remember, did you ever do anything with your 'crossbill'?

I didn't comment at the time but it's intrigued me ever since seeing your post. I wouldn't mind seeing some more shots if possible. Perhaps worth submitting to YNURC?

Last edited:
Thanks Steve. I agree it looks like a northern argentatus in a lot of ways (and that's probably what it is), but I keep wondering about the complete black band on P5, and how common that is in such birds. By the way. I should add that the photo was taken a couple of years ago (and I've been going back to it at regular intervals ever since).

Re the crossbill: I did get two or three more pics but they're more or less identical to the one I put on here. Everyone I ask seems to agree that the bill structure looks outside the range of Common, but I haven't really got any further than that (yet). Where's Lindsay Cargill when you need him?

While we're on crossbills, we had five different flight call types on vismig this year (aversrares classification), compared to our previous max of two, yet in terms of number of birds it was our worst year on record.

Cheers,

Dave

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back