• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Choice....Monarch HG vs Razor HD (1 Viewer)

jgraider

My buddy at the LGS has one set of each for sale at basically half price. He rearranged his inventory and had these as display units. Both are 10x42's.

If it weren't for Nikon's sales and customer service/warranty "waffling" the HG's would be a no brainer for me, as I really like this binocular. I'm not sure I can trust Nikon though, and that's the only issue. The Razor is not worth the retail price, but since these are $499 they seem like a best buy all of the sudden.

Which one would you choose and why? Thanks for your thoughts.

My buddy at the LGS has one set of each for sale at basically half price. He rearranged his inventory and had these as display units. Both are 10x42's.

If it weren't for Nikon's sales and customer service/warranty "waffling" the HG's would be a no brainer for me, as I really like this binocular. I'm not sure I can trust Nikon though, and that's the only issue. The Razor is not worth the retail price, but since these are $499 they seem like a best buy all of the sudden.

Which one would you choose and why? Thanks for your thoughts.
I have had them both and I would get the Nikon HG 10x42. The HG is MIJ and the Vortex is MIC if that matters to you. The MIC binoculars can be pretty good and Vortex has a great warranty. I like the lighter weight, bigger FOV and lower distortion of the HG but the CA and astigmatism is better controlled in the Razor with their APO glass if those things bothers you. Compare them if you can to see how the eye cups fit your face and if the eye relief matches the eye cups length so you don't get blackouts. Allbino's likes the HG a little better than the Razor overall. What you can do is compare the different scores on each criteria on the two on Allbinos and decide how important those things are to YOU. Is CA important to you or is astigmatism more important. They are both nice binoculars and that is a great price on both of them.

https://www.allbinos.com/allbinos_ranking-binoculars_ranking-10x42.html

Last edited:
Hi jg,

I'd go for the Nikon. Back when I was looking for a good 10x42 I ordered the Razor and had a good while with it one day. I was disturbed by a clear blue ring around the edges. I did not see this in the 8x42 Razor. I sent it right back. I'm not sure if you'll see the same thing though. I haven't tried the HG, but reviews here say it's great. The inferior warranty certainly wouldn't stop me from grabbing a Nikon HG at half price.

I personally would choose the Nikon as well. As for why, it's perhaps a bit of a philosophical view. You clearly like the Nikon, just not the service. Do you like the Razor HD despite the price? Does it excite you? If so, consider it. If not, why would you buy it?

Once you get away from basic necessities shopping (toilet paper, eggs, socks type stuff) I generally try not to buy things that I do not genuinely want. If I genuinely want something, then I consider how badly I need it vs the price and either buy it or not. This is of course just a personal way of looking at things, not trying to criticize anyone who makes decisions differently. I am not terribly interested in the Razor so the reduction in price doesn't make it more appealing to me.

I personally would choose the Nikon as well. As for why, it's perhaps a bit of a philosophical view. You clearly like the Nikon, just not the service. Do you like the Razor HD despite the price? Does it excite you? If so, consider it. If not, why would you buy it?

Once you get away from basic necessities shopping (toilet paper, eggs, socks type stuff) I generally try not to buy things that I do not genuinely want. If I genuinely want something, then I consider how badly I need it vs the price and either buy it or not. This is of course just a personal way of looking at things, not trying to criticize anyone who makes decisions differently. I am not terribly interested in the Razor so the reduction in price doesn't make it more appealing to me.

This is how I buy binoculars too. For example I never look at the warranty before I buy binos. I am only interested in what kind of view of nature a bino can provide and I don't assume or fear anything about warranties. However I am fortunate to be able to afford more than one binocular and I can understand anyone who can only afford one bino wanting the reassurance of good warranty support.

Lee

Well said guys. Lee, I'm not hung up on warranties necessarily, as I've got several sets of binos too. Since Nikon Sport Optics has recently changed thier views on scopes, and re-wrote their warranties on binos, I'm wondering whether to trust Nikon will even be around to service them at all if needed. There are several reports around on various forums about Nikon's money problems. All that being said, I find the optics on the HG to be far superior to the Razor HD.

...I am only interested in what kind of view of nature a bino can provide...
Lee

Well said.

And as for the Nikon MHG, thats a great price for a great binocular. I have no experience with the Razor, but have had an MHG for several years. Lightweight for its class, and a wide field. That one has been overseas with me on some birding trips, and I've had no problems with it. I think you'll enjoy it.

-Bill

Last edited:
I like Nikon Bins, I have a pair of very old CF7x20, they'er not the brightest bins, but they are as sharp as anything I've looked though. I also have a pair of Monarch 8x30 which are brilliant.
Never looked through the Nikon Monarch HG's, but I'm struggling to see how anything could be much better than the Razors. These are the only only bins I have looked though that give you the feeling that you could reach out and touch what you're looking at, and that's quite subtle.
On these forums subtle differences are blown up out all proportion.

From Rokslide forums.
The point was that the Razors are that good, the additional reasons were a plus! I've read for a while now where others had written how Swaros & such blow away the Razors. Being a Razor owner & a serious hunter I felt maybe I was missing out big time so I purchased a set of 10X42 SV Swaros from a great guy here on Rokslide. I've owned them just under a year & have made countless comparisons with them & the Razors under every situation possible, they are so close that I choose the Razors! Anyone looking for some Swaros, I'm selling these! (grin)

ElkNut/Paul
And you are a very logical, honest, great hunter, who hunts a lot. That says a lot to me.

On these forums subtle differences are blown up out all proportion.

I would say you are correct! One can look at the 'facts', things that can be measured, observe differences in weight, size, magnification, percentage of field in sharp focus, curvature of field, field of view, IPD, eye relief, and make some determination which bin might generally suit you and your needs more than another. Warranty... price...

After that its seemingly all opinion and personal choice. When I hear the terms
'blow away', and 'absolutely kill', which some posters use regularly, I keep thinking I'm in an automotive forum. True there are times when one can see big differences visually between 2 optical devices, but much of what you hear on this forum is often of the hair splitting nature, writ large.

Read carefully Canip's recent examination of the Retrovid, comparing it to several other bins in the shop. Its helpful, but it is also thoughtful hair splitting.

-Bill

?....
..... much of what you hear on this forum is often of the hair splitting nature, writ large.

Sure, that‘s one way of putting it.
And of course, not everybody is comfortable dealing with subtle differences, they are something for the discerning mind.

Sure, that‘s one way of putting it.
And of course, not everybody is comfortable dealing with subtle differences, they are something for the discerning mind.

Its even possible that subtle differences for some are vast chasms for others.;) (CA, rolling ball, sharpness...)

Chuck wrote a comparative piece in the Noctivid thread a few months ago, that reminded me of what you did in the shop with the Retrovid. Both are interesting reads, and I appreciate that some folks here take the time to do it.

-Bill

Last edited:
?....
..... subtle differences for some are vast chasms for others......

..... and nonexistent for others. I always wondered whether I should pity those who don’t recognize such subtle differences or find them irrelevant, or whether I should envy them because life seems so much simpler for them.
:)

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back