• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds of Bolivia (1 Viewer)

I think it’s a fine field guide and contains a wealth of information not available elsewhere, a novel set of art that is generally of excellent quality, and very good range maps.

So while the Bolivia book might not be perfect, I’d say it is more “excellent” than “just ok” particularly given the state of SA field guides.

I'm not sure who said the this book was 'just OK' and I did say that it was more 'focused' which is basically what you said?

Field guides these days are generally of a very high quality and when people make comparisons, they will not be limited to a single continent. A new book will be judged against it's Worldwide contemporaries and the bar is set pretty high these days.

Last edited:
Field guides these days are generally of a very high quality and when people make comparisons, they will not be limited to a single continent. A new book will be judged against it's Worldwide contemporaries and the bar is set pretty high these days.

Worldwide contemporaries will be of little value to someone selecting a field guide for a South American trip. How it stacks up against others in the region will be more important.

Indeed, I am still a bit personally let down by the use of that art in two new otherwise absolutely first-rate guides.

Gary Stiles' new Colombia book with HBW art should be a truly first rate addition to the SA field guide world, as should be the theoretically imminent Birds of Argentina. When the new Colombia book is out, Colombia will have three current field guides, all of good to excellent quality (McMullan, Ayerbe-Quiñones, and Stiles) - almost unheard of outside of Europe and USA/Canada. For what it's worth, I actually think the McMullan guide's art is quite good. It's simpler and smaller than, say, Guy Tudor's beautiful plates or the elegance and detail of the Peru guidebook, but it's accurate and well proportioned and depicts critical field marks accurately in most cases. Just not as much of a coffee table book as some other guides.

With danger of repeating myself: the only thing I regret with regards to having the McMullan guide to Ecuador is that I have the first printing because the second looks so much better.

Niels

Is a lot of art changed in the newer Ecuador guide Niels, or is it printed larger? Or is it just the addition of mammals to the guide? I have or have had, incidentally, all three versions of Miles' Colombia guide. The jump in quality from the 1st to the 2nd is remarkable. The change from the 2nd to the 3rd is much more moderate. Given that the 1st Ecuador guide is comparable to the 2nd Colombia guide, I'd assume the 2nd edition of the Ecuador guide is a more modest change as well?

Some of this qualitative assessment is of course just a question of perspective / preference :)

Is a lot of art changed in the newer Ecuador guide Niels, or is it printed larger? Or is it just the addition of mammals to the guide? I have or have had, incidentally, all three versions of Miles' Colombia guide. The jump in quality from the 1st to the 2nd is remarkable. The change from the 2nd to the 3rd is much more moderate. Given that the 1st Ecuador guide is comparable to the 2nd Colombia guide, I'd assume the 2nd edition of the Ecuador guide is a more modest change as well?

Some of this qualitative assessment is of course just a question of perspective / preference :)

The main difference I noticed was that the printing looked clearer and less muddles

Niels

I just took the plunge for the Bolivia book from Buteo books. I really hope it is worth the steep price (or that the money goes to something worthwhile).

Niels

I have never been to Bolivia, but had reason to use the Bird of Bolivia book yesterday related to something I did in the Opus. I really enjoyed it, looks to be a great book! I hope there will be a way to get down and actually use it before too long.
Niels

(post # 105) With danger of repeating myself: the only thing I regret with regards to having the McMullan guide to Ecuador is that I have the first printing because the second looks so much better.

Niels
That's when I usually buy the newer version, at least in a case like here where the difference is so extreme.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back