• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Phylloscopus spp. (Central Spain) (1 Viewer)

SLopezM

Sergio López Martín
Phylloscopus collybita? Picture taken in Guadalajara (Central Spain) during January 2018.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 63
Certainly looks like a Common Chiffchaff even with the crucial parts concealed by vegetation. What is the alternative? Aren't all Iberian Chiffchaffs in Africa in January?

It looks like, but a shot showing primary projection would help to exclude Iberian Chiffchaff (that usually winters in Africa).

Very interesting. If you could just give me a more detailed explanation on how to tell between an Iberian and a Common chiffchaff I would be very grateful (pictures are welcomed :) ).

I have more pictures with the head looking to other sides, but the wing remains covered.

Very interesting. If you could just give me a more detailed explanation on how to tell between an Iberian and a Common chiffchaff I would be very grateful (pictures are welcomed :) ).

I have more pictures with the head looking to other sides, but the wing remains covered.

That's the point : the main feature are the primary projections, not seen on your photo.

There's an explanation here.

PP of Iberian Chiffy would be about 80% against 50/60% in Common Chiffy.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back