• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Your most anticipated futures books (1 Viewer)

The 7th edition of Walker's Mammals of the World is scheduled for June 2018.

Walker's Mammals of the World: Monotremes, Marsupials, Afrotherians, Xenarthrans, and Sundatherians

Since its first publication in 1964, Walker's Mammals of the World has become a favourite guide to the natural world for general readers and professionals alike. Since publication of the 2-volume set, several spin-off titles have been published focusing on specific groups. This new Walker's volume is another such title, and is a completely revised and updated compendium of information on five of the earliest clades to diverge from ancient mammal stock. Uniquely comprehensive in inimitable Walker's style, it incorporates a full account of every genus that lived in the past 5,000 years. Every named species of each genus is listed in systematic order and accompanied by detailed descriptions of past and present range.

This book includes
- 500+ full-colour images throughout – a first for any Walker's volume
- citations to more than 2,200 new references
- extensive bioconservation data, with discussion of every species in an IUCN Red List threatened category

The book's thorough updates reflect 20 years of advances in our knowledge of taxonomy, ecology, behaviour, life history, and conservation. Substantive changes to 100% of previously existing generic accounts, plus the addition of 17 entirely new generic accounts, double the information in the last edition on the 19 orders covered. The black-and-white illustrations of earlier editions have been replaced by over 500 new colour images, including superb photos of live individuals and scientifically prepared paintings of extinct genera.

Remaining true to Ernest P. Walker's vision, the text smoothly combines in-depth scholarship with a popular, readable style to preserve and enhance what the Washington Post called a "landmark of zoological literature".

https://www.nhbs.com/walkers-mammal...rotherians-xenarthrans-and-sundatherians-book

Has much changed John since the last ed?

A

I don't know, to be honest, Andy but knowing what a thorough chap Ernest Garcia is and that he'd scarcely be updating it with minor changes only I would imagine that there will be some substantive changes. Naturally, some sites will be relatively unchanged but I would expect a good few new sites to be added (e.g. places like Laguna de los Tollos - once an important reserve, then wrecked by quarrying but now restored).

Lars Jonsson Winter Birds. If your a lover of Lars Jonsson's Bird paintings as my self. This book is superb you will not be disappointed. Full of wonderful images of birds in wintery scenes

As others have noted, he clearly intends to live a very long time judging by his projects!

A

He sure tends to disperse over many projects (most or all much needed mega projects); but their completion is not in doubt as he associates with people like Kees Roselaar as in the case of the present work. I'm expecting a great reference work, but wouldn't put any money on a publishing date...

Birds of Brazil (Zimmer & Whittaker, Princeton) is now being advertised as available from 25 April 2019 here.
This is a most needed title, and the plates (by Eduardo Brettas) I've seen up to know seem to finally make justice to this amazing country's avifauna. Strangely, in NHBS, the "look inside" function for this book shows the Van Perlo illustrated checklist instead of being blank.
Some nice samples of plates from Brettas blog:
plate 15: Amazonian parrots - Pionites & Graydidacalus (and the same plate in progress)
Aratingas, Parakeets
plate 7: Miscellaneous crakes
plate 8b: Amazonian/Guianan Pyrrhuras
Coots and Gallinules
plate 2: Gallinules
plate 4: Medium-large rails 1 and Medium-large rails 2

If I'm allowed a minor criticism, I think putting extreme vagrants together with regular species on the same plate (as in the case of Corncrake on plate 7, linked above) isn't the most practical solution; putting all extreme vagrants on a few plates at the end would have been more useful from the point of view of field usage. But perhaps they'll do that in the final book (re-arranging digitally the plates?).
In any case it looks like a great work (especially if in 2 volumes) and one I'd like to put my hands on sooner than later...!

Size of the final product will also have something to do with the usability

Niels

Indeed.
From the above posted link:
Birds of Brazil
Kevin Zimmer & Andrew Whittaker
Available from 25 April 2019. According to Robert Kirk, senior editor at Princeton University Press, this book will likely be in two volumes: a large reference with detailed text and maps; and a smaller field guide with short texts, maps and about 190 colour plates.

In early November 2017 Robert Kirk, senior editor at Princeton University Press, stated this book is due in Spring 2019.

I'm looking forward to seeing Phil Gregory's much delayed "Birds of Paradise and Bowerbirds" which is now scheduled to be published early in 2019. I know just how much meticulous research and effort has gone into this book having had the privilege of reading through the text for Phil. I've also seen some of Richard Allen's superb illustrations. It's going to be a great book worthy of this gorgeous family.

Attachments

• BoPs.png
    BoPs.png
    278.9 KB · Views: 86
I'm looking forward to seeing Phil Gregory's much delayed "Birds of Paradise and Bowerbirds" which is now scheduled to be published early in 2019. I know just how much meticulous research and effort has gone into this book having had the privilege of reading through the text for Phil. I've also seen some of Richard Allen's superb illustrations. It's going to be a great book worthy of this gorgeous family.

Wasn't aware of this title at all John, thanks.

A

Users who are viewing this thread

Back