• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

DIY Lens Hood for MM3 60? (1 Viewer)

Sancho

Europe
I'm useless at inventing stuff, and wondered if anyone has come up with above? I realise that making it retractable would be well-nigh impossible. But something fairly snug, to give a little shade and also to provide a little extra protection to the objective, would be nice. Of course the tethered objective lens cap would have to come off. I thought maybe something could be wrapped around the barrel and held in place with camo-tape. (Where is KorHaan when you need him? He was good at this kind of thing...remember his cable-tie sighting device illustrations?)

Last edited:
I built something like that for my little Nikon ED50, using velcro tape around the objective holding a sheet of plastic with matching velcro tape stuck on it. It worked but was so hideous that I tossed it.
Now instead i use a deep rubber hood screwed into the objective end, which protects the lens and gives good shade.
They are pretty cheap, but not very durable, so get a spare.

PS This only works if the MM3 has a threaded fitting at the objective end.

Last edited:
Thanks etudiant! It has threads. Where did you get the screw-in hood?

(Edit: I 'googled' lens-hoods, and discovered a bewildering array of same. I didn't know they were a manufactured item, as I've studiously avoided anything to do with photography over the years. No idea what make or model of hood might fit an MM3, but I'll seek advice from a camera store).

Last edited:
Thanks etudiant! It has threads. Where did you get the screw-in hood?

(Edit: I 'googled' lens-hoods, and discovered a bewildering array of same. I didn't know they were a manufactured item, as I've studiously avoided anything to do with photography over the years. No idea what make or model of hood might fit an MM3, but I'll seek advice from a camera store).

Hi Sancho,
The fitting diameter is all you need afaik, believe the thread type is the same for every supplier by some miracle. Searching Amazon for 'Rubber lens hood' will throw up lots, in various sizes and shapes.
The hood also acts to cushion the scope in the carry bag while traveling. I do keep the SoC on the ED50, but the objective would be exposed without the hood.
Good luck !!

Hi Sancho,
The fitting diameter is all you need afaik, believe the thread type is the same for every supplier by some miracle. Searching Amazon for 'Rubber lens hood' will throw up lots, in various sizes and shapes.
The hood also acts to cushion the scope in the carry bag while traveling. I do keep the SoC on the ED50, but the objective would be exposed without the hood.
Good luck !!

Sincerest thanks edudiant. :t:

Could try a metal screw-in lens hood. Possible for around a fiver:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_3_16?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=metal+lens+hood+67mm&sprefix=metal+lens+hood+%2Caps%2C135&crid=2JE7BR4BP8TP5

You'd need the actual filter thread size, which is likely larger than 60mm. I'm guessing at 67mm...?
Some can even take a (larger) lens cap if they have filter threads on the open end, though in my experience a cap is not necessary as the hood offers some extra protection to the lens.

Last edited:
Could try a metal screw-in lens hood. Possible for around a fiver:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_3_16?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=metal+lens+hood+67mm&sprefix=metal+lens+hood+%2Caps%2C135&crid=2JE7BR4BP8TP5

You'd need the actual filter thread size, which is likely larger than 60mm. I'm guessing at 67mm...?
Some can even take a (larger) lens cap if they have filter threads on the open end, though in my experience a cap is not necessary as the hood offers some extra protection to the lens.

Rubber offers better shock protection imho. Was afraid to use a metal hood on my ED50 with its frail plastic body.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back