• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dialyt 7x42B T*P* has arrived - first impressions (1 Viewer)

I already love my BGAT*P*. Perhaps its imperfections are part of it; just as a face with a distinctive 'odd' feature can seem more beautiful than a perfectly blank canvas!

Obviously I have issues if after only a month on this forum I am already thinking of binoculars in those terms...

About the focusing, there's nothing loose. Most of the rotation feels spot on; it's just there is a tight spot that - Sod's Law - always seem to be right where I am working.

About my seeing things well or badly: I realized it only happens to me in sterile comparative tests. Out on a walk or standing under a tree waiting for something to appear everything seems pretty good. I just get on with it and then neither eyes nor gear nor nature let me down. It's as if doing what the kit is designed for banishes some sort of obsessional search for technical perfection that out of working context is never satisfied.

All binos are a bag of optical compromises and rarely do the mechanics or accessories achieve perfection (whatever that is for you) either. But if your priority is the the subject you are observing, most binos can give a lot of pleasure and education.

Lee

All binos are a bag of optical compromises and rarely do the mechanics or accessories achieve perfection (whatever that is for you) either. But if your priority is the the subject you are observing, most binos can give a lot of pleasure and education.

Lee

That reminds me of what a photographer friend told me when I started taking pictures. He showed me his cameras - three - and said 'but don't forget once you've got the picture it doesn't matter what you took it with.' Yes, they've already given me both and I'm looking forward to going out more. A treat for the end of term. I'm going up to Fort William for a marathon and have started wondering what would be worth combining nature-wise while up there. (First trip to Scotland apart from a working week in 1978.)

Tom

I had a 7x42 BN that had a firm spot in the focussing. I sent it to a repairer recommended on this forum (East coast Optics) who corrected it quickly and at very reasonable cost.

Lee

I totally agree. Considering that any one of what are commonly called alpha, are at the very top optically, it really comes down to personal preference and what's important to you. From reading this forum for years, I can tell you deal breaker issues for various posters, close focus, CA, glare, edge sharpness, rolling ball and on and on.

Assuming alpha level sharpness, my biggest issue is ease of view, followed by lifelike color and contrast. Ease of view is different for everybody, lots of people complain about black outs with Nikon SEs, but they fit me perfectly, whereas the 32 mm size Leicas are a problem. The absolute best view I ever had was with a borrowed 7x42 Zeiss Dialyt Classic. I could live with that as my everyday bino for the rest of my life.

I totally agree. Considering that any one of what are commonly called alpha, are at the very top optically, it really comes down to personal preference and what's important to you. From reading this forum for years, I can tell you deal breaker issues for various posters, close focus, CA, glare, edge sharpness, rolling ball and on and on.

Assuming alpha level sharpness, my biggest issue is ease of view, followed by lifelike color and contrast. Ease of view is different for everybody, lots of people complain about black outs with Nikon SEs, but they fit me perfectly, whereas the 32 mm size Leicas are a problem. The absolute best view I ever had was with a borrowed 7x42 Zeiss Dialyt Classic. I could live with that as my everyday bino for the rest of my life.

I love this post... and the 7x42 Dialyt Classic. I have just been posting a reply on the Leica forum to a query about 7x vs. 8x. While writing I realized that any comparison of magnification was going to be skewed by the fact that the 7x instrument was the Dialyt whereas the design of my 8x was totally different, being Leica. Both are growing on me more and more but with a pistol to my head I think I'd keep the Dialyt - it just works for me but also has some sort of magic. Colours, ease of view, weight. Objective or subjective? Neither, just instinct!

(Edit: reading back over this post I suppose subjective and instinctive are much the same thing most of the time. We find reasons to justify our instinctive response.)

Last edited:
I love this post... and the 7x42 Dialyt Classic. I have just been posting a reply on the Leica forum to a query about 7x vs. 8x. While writing I realized that any comparison of magnification was going to be skewed by the fact that the 7x instrument was the Dialyt whereas the design of my 8x was totally different, being Leica. Both are growing on me more and more but with a pistol to my head I think I'd keep the Dialyt - it just works for me but also has some sort of magic. Colours, ease of view, weight. Objective or subjective? Neither, just instinct!

SP, my recommendation would be to follow your instinct. I have binos that are objectively not quite as good as others I have but which have captured my heart and which have given me great observation experiences over the years. For intangible and unfathomable reasons I feel more comfortable and at ease with these. So before setting out to visit a site I take a few seconds to ask myself whether I have a specific observation I wish to make (in which case I chose the 'best bino for the job) or whether I just want to enjoy whatever comes along, be it birds or animals, flowers or insects, marine life or freshwater life, in which case I will pick up a favourite bino.

Sounds like the Dialyt is creeping into your heart so go with the flow......

Lee

SP, my recommendation would be to follow your instinct. I have binos that are objectively not quite as good as others I have but which have captured my heart and which have given me great observation experiences over the years. For intangible and unfathomable reasons I feel more comfortable and at ease with these. So before setting out to visit a site I take a few seconds to ask myself whether I have a specific observation I wish to make (in which case I chose the 'best bino for the job) or whether I just want to enjoy whatever comes along, be it birds or animals, flowers or insects, marine life or freshwater life, in which case I will pick up a favourite bino.

Sounds like the Dialyt is creeping into your heart so go with the flow......

Lee

It is looking that way, Lee. It's getting hard to put them back into the polystyrene chips and bubble-wrap and send on to Gary for a service. But they should be awesome after they come back. There is a leafy plant climbing above the fence from the garden behind, with pointed green/yellow-brown leaves and reddish stalks. That combination of colours is a great test of the Zeiss / Leica colour renditions; they look great in both just by being brought closer in the binoculars. They are also a good target for a colour comparison, bearing in mind the greens/reds biases of Zeiss/Leica. I really don't know which rendition I prefer but I think it is Zeiss Dialyt Classic. Spoilt for choice...

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back