• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss Victory 8x42 SF 524223 REVIEWS? (1 Viewer)

PlanetMaker

Have a link to reviews of the newest Zeiss Victory 8x42 SF 524223?
I see threads going back to the older grey models but no reviews of the newest 524223 yet?
Thanks

Attachments

• 8x42_victory_sf.jpg
    8x42_victory_sf.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 163
It seems that there have been no changes to the SF, except some better QC in a few areas, and
the color change of the armor.

The SF is a very nice binocular, proceed with confidence, it ranks highest in my mind, and I have tried
most all of them.

Jerry

It seems that there have been no changes to the SF, except some better QC in a few areas, and
the color change of the armor.

The SF is a very nice binocular, proceed with confidence, it ranks highest in my mind, and I have tried
most all of them.

Jerry

I think that there's 2 things that trouble me is the complaints about the eyecups not being top notch and the front lens covers coming off at times
But I think I can handle that considering the great views from the SF
Thanks

I think that there's 2 things that trouble me is the complaints about the eyecups not being top notch and the front lens covers coming off at times
But I think I can handle that considering the great views from the SF
Thanks

PM

Some enhancements were made to the focus system and were introduced on the grey SFs shortly before the black SF was launched and the blacks had this enhanced focus from the start.

I am one of the biggest critics of the SF's eyecups insofar as I don't feel they are in keeping with the quality and price of the binos, but they do the job and they do it reliably. I have SF 8x and 10x and the eyecups have never let me down. I don't use objective covers, never have done, so I can't comment on those.

For me Zeiss's SF is a major step in modern binos. Field of view, optical performance and handling/balance are all outstanding in my humble opinion and suit my purposes very well. I am more interested in observing behaviour over extended periods of viewing rather than briefly looking to identify a bird and then moving on. No doubt SFs can do the latter too.

Lee

Lee has more experience with the eyecups than I because I believe he wears glasses at least part of the tme. The eyecups on my SF's are fully extended and stay there. They don't get moved because that's where I need them and I don't loan the SF's to anyone. I have other excellent binos if some one need a pair but not the SF's. The extended eye cups have been rock solid for me no play and no movement. I believe they are the best you can do.
Steve

Hi Lee,

I agree with everything you said about the SF (including the fact that the focus mechanism has been improved in the later samples) with one exception: imo the eyecups are very good; in particular their rims, which are made from a soft rubber, are among the best I have seen, and I have owned many binos. Yes, they are made of plastic but I am sure that was by purpose to reduce the weight (I own several binos with metalic eyecups, such as EDG, SV etc, and their eyecups are rather heavy). In fact from what you have said you seem to have no real problem with the SF's eyecups:
"they do the job and they do it reliably. I have SF 8x and 10x and the eyecups have never let me down."
Potential buyers, such as PM, become concerned when they see the criticism about the SF eyecups, and imo that criticism is not justified (has anyone reported a real problem with the eyecups of the SF? I have not seen such a report).

Peter

Last edited:
Steve:

"The extended eye cups have been rock solid for me no play and no movement. I believe they are the best you can do."

I cannot agree more!

Peter

PM
I don't use objective covers, never have done, so I can't comment on those.
Lee

How do you store your bino's with no objective covers?
In use I don't like covers. especially in wind that moves the covers to the point of causing extra movement when observing.
Thanks

Zeiss has done a poor job with objective covers in their newest models. The tethered string is a poor
excuse for a good cover.

This includes the Victory, Conquest and Terra models.

I suppose Lee would not say it, but he has to be careful. :t:

This subject has been brought up years ago. The Victory FL had better
objective covers.

One reason is Zeiss signed off on to have a fancy designer who thought armor contours are special and do not lend to a cover that can do the job.

Jerry

Zeiss has done a poor job with objective covers in their newest models. The tethered string is a poor
excuse for a good cover.

This subject has been brought up years ago. The Victory FL had better
objective covers.

One reason is Zeiss signed off on to have a fancy designer who thought armor contours are special and do not lend to a cover that can do the job.

Jerry

Will a generic 42mm objective cover work on the not so round Zeiss 8x42 SF?
Thanks

Attachments

• 1265125553000_673326.jpg
    1265125553000_673326.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 49
No it won't, as there is no room for the tether ring.

I suppose Zeiss is smarter than the ones who think about things like this and pay the bills.

My experience with the Victory goes back almost 3 years now.

These are just little things, just forget that, and enjoy the rest.

Jerry

I suppose Zeiss is smarter than the ones who think about things like this and pay the bills.

Jerry
Sounds right
Thanks

They have fine objective covers which are very light weight and easily fully removed during use. I think Zeiss aimed to keep the weight low, especially at the objective end. Similar philosophy with light weight plastic eye cups, which are reliable and comfortable, but don’t give as positive a feel when twisting and locking vs other alphas. I think the Zeiss SF is ergonomically superior to all the alphas in actual use, with the best balance and focus out there. They are exciting to look through and have the least fatiguing view of them all, despite minor faults like a slight color cast. It’s a binoculars you want to keep on looking through.

In use I don't like covers. especially in wind that moves the covers to the point of causing extra movement when observing.
Thanks

You put them in the case without the objective covers on. Unless there is sand or gravel or something else abrasive in your case the objective covers don’t really protect any further. I’ve never used an objective cover, and my various bins have travelled about 100,000km bouncing around (in their cases) in a vehicle in Central and South America, and getting dragged through brush and being rained on and coated in dust and and and. I have zero scratched or scuffed objectives. The greater risks are dust and brush but I just tuck them in my shirt or m jacket or otherwise improvise as needed. When cleaning, I make sure to wash /rinse with liquid before using cloth if they are dusty to avoid scratches.

Last edited:
Hi Lee,

I agree with everything you said about the SF (including the fact that the focus mechanism has been improved in the later samples) with one exception: imo the eyecups are very good; in particular their rims, which are made from a soft rubber, are among the best I have seen, and I have owned many binos. Yes, they are made of plastic but I am sure that was by purpose to reduce the weight (I own several binos with metalic eyecups, such as EDG, SV etc, and their eyecups are rather heavy). In fact from what you have said you seem to have no real problem with the SF's eyecups:
"they do the job and they do it reliably. I have SF 8x and 10x and the eyecups have never let me down."
Potential buyers, such as PM, become concerned when they see the criticism about the SF eyecups, and imo that criticism is not justified (has anyone reported a real problem with the eyecups of the SF? I have not seen such a report).

Peter

Peter you are perfectly right I don't have a 'real' problem with SF's eyecups in the sense that they don't perform their function. They do.
What I don't like about them is that they have free play in at least two directions (side to side wobble and rotational slop) so that they don't have the precision feel of the rest of the bino, and more to the point, they don't feel in keeping with the price of SF. But they absolutely do their job which is why I said so in post 4.
Lee

Thanks

PM

For storage I slip my SFs back into their semi-hard cases, complete with neck strap and rainguard, but no objective covers. This is how I have stored all my binos since I got my first pair, Swift Audubons in the 1970s. So Zeiss Dialyts, Zeiss FLs and HTs and Conquest HDs have all been stored in the same way for over 40 years.

My binos live in their storage cases at home, inside an old oak bedding box. When I want to use one or we set off to go on holiday (such as where we are right now) I open the oak box and pull out the required bino and if using it immediately the bino comes out of the case and goes around my neck. For holiday use it gets packed into our car still inside its case. If we overnight at a hotel, the binos go into the hotel with us for security still inside their cases and get packed in the car again the following day and this continues until we arrive at our holiday destination. All the binos I have taken (usually 2-3) get put in a room we don't use, still in their cases, until required, then they come out of their cases and around my neck and off we go walking or driving. Once out of their cases the binos stay out and get put near strategic windows around our rented cottage and then if required for one of our walks they get grabbed on our way out. For the return journey the get put back in the carry-cases and the process described above starts all over again until we reach home.

Since the binos are stored inside their cases I have never felt the objective covers were needed and when out in the field if the binos need protection (rarely) they get pushed inside my jacket or in hot climates, inside my gillet/waistcoat/outdoor vest.

I bet you wish you hadn't asked me how I stored them now :-O

Lee

excuse for a good cover.

Jerry

HaHa! Enough with the teasing already :t:

I have criticised most Zeiss eyecups for feeling 'cheap' (and have criticised SF eyecups at the very highest level in Zeiss) even though they all do their job and if I bothered to use objective covers I would be criticising those too. When I have a pair of binos, a close focusing monocular and a DSLR around my neck at the same time, that last thing I want are those recent Zeiss objective covers dangling on their tethers and getting tangled up with everything else. But I don't use objective covers so don't usually bother commenting on them.

As a general comment: just because objective covers come in the box with the binos there is no 'law' which says they must be used.

Lee

Last edited:

Jerry

Looking closer there's about 1/4" (6.35mm) there for a lens cap tether :t:
Yes there is a corner in the Zeiss front tube body.

Attachments

• cap.jpg
    cap.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 137
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back