• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds fae Torry (1 Viewer)

Did a bit of seawatching this afternoon, in fresh, WNW winds. Two Sooty Shearwaters went north at some considerable distance. Also going north were six Arctic Skuas, five Great Skuas and five Manx Shearwaters. A flock of about twenty geese went south but were too far away to ID. Other stuff: one Wheatear, one Whitethroat, one Knot, three Arctic Terns and a Buzzard battling into the wind along the bank in Greyhope Bay.

A juv Swift buzzing the cliff top path at head level at Doonies tonight was the first I've seen for a while, and was extremely entertaining. 17 Pink feet struggled south over Torry.

I flogged Tullos Hill with YBW in mind without success today. Seems to have a force field round it that deflects Sibes. Did see 2 long-tailed tits - only my 2nd record.

I had a quick look around the north side and Battery this morning but didn't find too much. The only warblers were a Blackcap and a Common Whitethroat in 'The Tree'. I heard a Redpoll going over and there were a couple of Grey Wagtails. Otherwise it was fairly quiet - nice weather though.

At last!

One Yellow-browed Warbler in the woods towards the west end of Tullos Hill. I've long looked for them there!

Also a Pied Fly right at the west end of the hill.

Interesting that the birds have filtered to the inland side of my patch. Maybe the mound at Torry is worth a look?

I also didn't see any Yellow-browed Warblers today. I didn't even see any Brown Shrikes - that's how bad it was. Despite a fair amount of searching, migrants were a bit thin on the ground. A Chiffchaff was on Abbey Road and a Brambling and a Blackcap were in 'the Tree'. A Velvet Scoter was with the Eiders off the Coo, and five Arctic Skuas were drifting about. Other stuff included a Siskin, three Grey Wagtails and two Wheatears. That was, quite literally, it.

No, I bailed on friday night - it was becoming too much like hard work. Not a bad selection over the two weeks though...Laughing gull, 3 Cackling goose, 2 AGP, Buffbreast sand, Pec, Icky, Barred, RBshrike, numerous YBW. There'll be someone on the island possibly for a couple of weeks now though so it will be interesting to see what turns up!

Anyway - back on topic, here's a picture of the wee fella...

Attachments

• DSC_0001.JPG
    DSC_0001.JPG
    131.3 KB · Views: 119
Even fewer migrants today, with a Brambling remaining and a Blackcap along Victoria Road being about it. The sea was of more interest. The best bird was a pretty classic juvenile Pomarine Skua, bothering the Kittiwakes at fairly close range. Six Arctic Skuas and a Bonxie also went through. A Velvet Scoter was again with the Eiders. Also moving were six Red-throated Divers, a Manx Shearwater and five Wigeon.

It was an important day in the 'Birds fae Torry' calendar because I we began this winter's Purple Sandpiper Totaliser with:

Vive la Totaliser! Other stuff included two Dunlin, a Knot, three Teal, three Red-breasted Mergansers, three Wheatears and a Reed Bunting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back