• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

And 14 months later, I ask again…. (1 Viewer)

St. Elmo

And 14 months later, I ask again, "What's new Pentax?"

Perhaps I should ask instead, "Is Pentax still in the sport optics business?"

Eagle optics still lists them and sells them. There aren't too many reviews from sales made this year though. They always had binoculars with narrow FOVs compared to other brands. Their light weight DCF BC 9x32 looks interesting.

http://www.eagleoptics.com/binoculars/pentax/pentax-dcf-bc-9x32-binocular

Some people here have commented on it's resemblance to Frank D.'s now almost legendary Sightron II 8x32 Blue Sky binocular. 932 posts about the Sightron so far!

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=211793&page=38

Camera Land still lists Pentax too.

Bob

PS: Where has Frank D. been recently?

Last edited:
That's it? After 2,873 years without a new model?… a PCF CW 8x30? Looks to me like they might have a pulse, but don't want to compete anymore.

Some people are satisfied with the ones they have. I have a friend who has owned a Pentax 8x36 Porro Prism for what must be nearly 20 years now and he leads birding tours with it!

Bob

If the IPD range of 60-70mm is accurate, they're no Yosemite substitute.

--AP

Hello Alexis. It's possible that it's a typo. The specs for the field of view don't seem right either. If the actual fov is 7* then then eyepiece ought to be 7* x 8 = 56*, not 52.1*. Or alternately, if the eyepiece is 52.1* then the actual fov ought to be around 52.1*/8 = 6.5*. It's also curious that the company website only lists an 8x30, whereas retailers are beginning to list both an 8x30 and 10x30 versions.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1050135-REG/pentax_65851_binoculars_8x30_pcf_cw.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1050136-REG/pentax_65852_binoculars_10x30_pcf_cw.html

Another reason might be because Pentax is now owned by Ricoh and I don't recall Ricoh ever being involved much in the optics business like Pentax was. This appears to be a new venture for Ricoh.

Bob

Some people are satisfied with the ones they have. I have a friend who has owned a Pentax 8x36 Porro Prism for what must be nearly 20 years now and he leads birding tours with it!

Bob

Get outta here, doesnt buy a new binocular of the month, I cant believe that. LOL

I think it also says there is more money in cameras than in a saturated binocular market.

Get outta here, doesnt buy a new binocular of the month, I cant believe that. LOL

I think it also says there is more money in cameras than in a saturated binocular market.

Curious that you say that! The same guy buys up old mechanical Japanese range finder cameras, gets them working again, and sells them back to Japanese Collectors.

Bob

Curious that you say that! The same guy buys up old mechanical Japanese range finder cameras, gets them working again, and sells them back to Japanese Collectors.

Bob

I have said it before, just because something new comes along doesnt mean the old one suddenly works any less well than it ever did. If something had a nice view 20 years ago, with a little care it will have a good view today.

I was just in Cameraland and they had them on display but said the hadn't heard a word from Pentax in ages.

I have a pair of brand new Papilo 6.5's in the box, I only checked them once in the store for perfect focus. I should save them for a few years, they might be worth something if no one ever duplicates them.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back