• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Two Months of Lifers Down Under (2 Viewers)

Thanks Chris... they are rather attractive in an ugly sort of way, aren't they LOL

Hey Delia, I think you can give yourself 2 more lifers and change Cattle Egret and Osprey to bold type. I don’t follow recent World species ‘splits’ that closely but I think most authorities count those two as separate, ie, Eastern Cattle Egret and Eastern Osprey.

Congratulations ( makes up for the Gull billed Tern:t: )

Thanks Richard. I'll go away to think LOL

Oh no I can't go away I've another post to put on;)

White-winged Chough were still a novelty for me, so couldn't resist trying for more pictures. I took this through the kitchen window, but something spooked them and they all took to the air as I clicked, but the result wasn't too bad.

The adult Blue-faced Honeyeater was replaced by a juvenile (a greenish face), he was chased off by a Magpie.

It was sunset by now and I popped out back to take a sunset image through the trees. Then walked round to the front and saw a Crow having a drink - hardly any light by now, but I think the camera handled that pretty well.

Attachments

• BF White-winged Chough flight thread.jpg
    BF White-winged Chough flight thread.jpg
    422 KB · Views: 127
  • BF Blue-faced Honeyeater juvenile thread.jpg
    BF Blue-faced Honeyeater juvenile thread.jpg
    398.9 KB · Views: 135
  • BF Australian Magpie thread.jpg
    BF Australian Magpie thread.jpg
    379.5 KB · Views: 96
  • BF Sunset thread.jpg
    BF Sunset thread.jpg
    338 KB · Views: 99
  • BF Torresian Crow thread.jpg
    BF Torresian Crow thread.jpg
    252.2 KB · Views: 117
New camera seems good, lots more birds. You know if I weren't so jealous I could be even more jealous...lol. Great report and please keep it coming.

Forest Waterhole

5 October 2019

The next morning we were off bright and early (well not so 'bright' maybe, it was very early) to the water hole that Hans has made deep in the forest.

He set me up in a chair (purchased specially with me in mind), placing it behind a screen, then left me to sort myself out while he filled the hole up with water.

I started off using my Fuji camera, to lessen the risk of missing anything.

It wasn't long before the first birds arrived Lewin's Honeyeater. Then a gorgeous, colourful Regent Bowerbird. These were quickly followed by Red-browed Finches and a Brown Cuckoo-Dove; while a Golden Whistler looked on from the nearby trees.

Attachments

• BF Lewin's Honeyeater thread.jpg
    BF Lewin's Honeyeater thread.jpg
    261.6 KB · Views: 145
  • BF Regent Bowerbird thread.jpg
    BF Regent Bowerbird thread.jpg
    287.6 KB · Views: 131
  • BF Brown Cuckoo-Dove thread.jpg
    BF Brown Cuckoo-Dove thread.jpg
    249.8 KB · Views: 115
  • BF Red-browed Finch thread.jpg
    BF Red-browed Finch thread.jpg
    265.4 KB · Views: 118
  • BF Golden Whistler thread.jpg
    BF Golden Whistler thread.jpg
    262.7 KB · Views: 121
Suddenly Hans and I noticed, both at the same time, a movement in the background.... a Lace Monitor.

I was delighted when he actually came to the pond for a drink. What a creature!

After he left, a Green Catbird arrived with a male Regent Bowerbird and then a female Regent Bowerbird came too. Now back to little birds in delightful, and active Rufous Fantail and a couple of Silvereye.

Attachments

• BF Lace Monitor thread.jpg
    BF Lace Monitor thread.jpg
    320.2 KB · Views: 130
  • BF Green Catbird thread.jpg
    BF Green Catbird thread.jpg
    330.5 KB · Views: 130
  • BF Regent Bowerbird female thread.jpg
    BF Regent Bowerbird female thread.jpg
    267.2 KB · Views: 111
  • BF Rufous Fantail thread.jpg
    BF Rufous Fantail thread.jpg
    239.2 KB · Views: 122
  • BF Silvereye thread.jpg
    BF Silvereye thread.jpg
    248.3 KB · Views: 145
Nice to see the results from the waterhole Delia .

Thanks Ken.... more to come from the other camera.

Hi Delia,

Fantastic that you got to see such a big Goanna - there be dragons ! :eek!:

I have to say that with the variety of species that you've seen you seem to have hit upon the perfect latitudes and environments for a ready mix of northern and southern species - you are running rings around me ! lol :)

Could you please go into a bit more detail about the "waterhole" when you post those pics? ie. size, structure, water source, position in environment/type (do you have a wide angle pic?), etc. Very interested in that :cat: - Thanks :t:

Chosun :gh:

Hi Delia,

Fantastic that you got to see such a big Goanna - there be dragons ! :eek!:

I have to say that with the variety of species that you've seen you seem to have hit upon the perfect latitudes and environments for a ready mix of northern and southern species - you are running rings around me ! lol :)

Could you please go into a bit more detail about the "waterhole" when you post those pics? ie. size, structure, water source, position in environment/type (do you have a wide angle pic?), etc. Very interested in that :cat: - Thanks :t:
Chosun :gh:

Thanks Chosun, but it was the kind members here that sorted out where and when I went. And it couldn't have worked out much better really.

As for the details of the waterhole, I think Hans would be best placed to answer your questions. I think it's dry schlerophyl rainforest and it is filled from containers which he takes with him each visit. It's really not very big.

So correct me if I'm wrong but you got 86 Lifers?

I guess you're right in your calculations KC. I've not really had a count up of all the Life birds yet.

During a lull in proceedings, thought I'd get out the Nikon camera for a bit of practise.

However it wasn't long before more birds arrived, starting with a Bar-shouldered Dove. Green Catbird and Regent Bowerbird soon followed, giving me a chance to take some comparison images (quite impressed, especially with the zoom; I've hardly cropped anything off the catbird picture!)/

Hans had put some seeds out hoping to attract some ground feeders and a Brushturkey took advantage (he was almost too close for this camera - never had to say that before LOL).

I missed getting a picture of an Eastern Spinebill unfortunately.

Finished up with a picture of a termite mound - a novelty for me; I'd seen a few in trees around Brisbane.

Then back home to prepare for a very long day tomorrow.

Attachments

• BF Bar-shouldered Dove thread.jpg
    BF Bar-shouldered Dove thread.jpg
    287.3 KB · Views: 61
  • BF Green Catbird thread.jpg
    BF Green Catbird thread.jpg
    317.1 KB · Views: 124
  • BF Regent Bowerbird thread.jpg
    BF Regent Bowerbird thread.jpg
    448.3 KB · Views: 124
  • BF Australian Brushturkey thread.jpg
    BF Australian Brushturkey thread.jpg
    445.7 KB · Views: 143
  • BF Termite mound thread.jpg
    BF Termite mound thread.jpg
    313.9 KB · Views: 105
Queensland Outback

6 October 2019

We had a very early breakfast, packed the car and set of as soon as it was light. Sensible people don't drive in the dark for the risk of hitting Kangaroos on the road.

There was over 500 km facing us today, with stops for refreshments and fuel etc. In places progress was slow due to 'bumpy' roads.

One stop, at a place called Moonie allowed us to see Rainbow Bee-eater and a pair of Blue-faced Honeyeater.

I've included a picture showing the road, such a typical view of it... on and on for miles and miles with not a bend and little view due to the trees on either side. It was quite exciting when a vehicle came towards us LOL

Eventually we arrived at Bollon, where we were staying for the night. It was extremely hot there. Judy and I sat in the shade with a cold drink, observed by a pair of Welcome Swallows, who were obviously nesting on the building.

We then went down to the river to see if any birds were around (a good move!). A welcome breeze encouraged us to sit on a shady bench wastching the river go by.

A Magpie-Lark sat on an overhanging branch and a Pacific Duck swam past.

Did I say it was Hot?

Attachments

• BF Blue-faced Honey-eater Thread.jpg
    BF Blue-faced Honey-eater Thread.jpg
    212.5 KB · Views: 121
  • BF Outback Road thread.jpg
    BF Outback Road thread.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 114
  • BF Welcome Swallow thread.jpg
    BF Welcome Swallow thread.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 104
  • BF Magpie Lark thread.jpg
    BF Magpie Lark thread.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 130
  • BF Pacific Black Duck thread.jpg
    BF Pacific Black Duck thread.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 101
LOL Mike, thanks. I really can't remember now which came in first.

Jiudging by these recent shots I'd say it's fair to say you're happy with the new camera Delia? I can't get enough of that Bowerbird!

Fantastic stuff, keep it coming Lass!

Chris

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back