• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gull ontario canada (1 Viewer)

I think the adult is a Ring-billed, the one on the right is an immature of the same species, the other two are probably immature Herring. But I’m not good with gulls!

I think the adult is a Ring-billed, the one on the right is an immature of the same species, the other two are probably immature Herring. But I’m not good with gulls!

Ontario canada, couple weeks ago. Already put that info. Three are herring gulls but I'm curious about the one inthe back behind the adult herring

Unless I am missing something, I don't see an adult Herring Gull in the picture.

There isn't one, the adult as you suggested is a Ring-billed. The American Herrings are first-winter to the left + behind the Ring-billed + think bird to the right is a first year Ring-billed.

The leg color on the blown-up picture on my monitor appear somewhat faintly pinkish. But not the strong pink I would expect on an adult Herring. Plus, the bill on this adult has the classic black ring near the tip of Ring-billed Gull.

black to bill in basic plumage is a much variable feature, especially in subadults. this is not a ring-billed gull for many reasons, especially structure and size, best seen on shape of bill. it is a subadult or adult american herring gull. note for instance the rather narrow and blurry black mark to bill, different to adult ring-billed gulls. also the nature of head streaking is different being rather blotchy very dense around neck sides etc. plus the pinkish legs!
ok, and the other 3 are also american herring gulls, two first cycles and a second cycle (to the right, = now 1,5 years old)

Last edited:
black to bill in basic plumage is a much variable feature, especially in subadults. this is not a ring-billed gull for many reasons, especially structure and size, best seen on shape of bill. it is a subadult or adult american herring gull. note for instance the rather narrow and blurry black mark to bill, different to adult ring-billed gulls. also the nature of head streaking is different being rather blotchy very dense around neck sides etc. plus the pinkish legs!
ok, and the other 3 are also american herring gulls, two first cycles and a second cycle (to the right, = now 1,5 years old)

Thank you. I now have confirmation that the one in behind the adult herring gull is also a herring gull

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back