• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lots northern gooses, cranes (1 Viewer)

Dieter,

That must have been a wonderful sight. What a lot of birds. What kind of Cranes were they? I follow the Whooping Cranes in Canada/America. They are huge but intelligent birds. Where did your Cranes come from?

Best wishes,

Canadian geese in Minnesota

In Minnesota the geese are gathering to head south. With the warmer winters we've had lately we are having more of them spending the winter here. It seems if they have some open water and a place to get some food they are spending the winters here. I think the majority still migrate but I wonder if more are staying than used to.

Cranes

Hallo,

I was on vacation since 19.11.
We have Crane Grus grus.
On day they collect in agriculture area.
In the evening they fly to the sleeping place.
In Linum ( 2. bigest crane area of Europe ) they have the sleeping place in the wetland, which You can not see. You see tousends of them going down.
On peninsula Darss You see them on a big island. The come to see sleeping place and collect on the island. Is also good spot for White-tailed Eagles.
In autumn the eagles collect on agriculture area or near lakes.
I saw 5 middle of November around lake Rietzer see.
Most of ower cranes come from Sweden, some from Finnland.
Someone told me he saw 14.
Cranes I saw only Grus grus in Germany and Brolga in Australia.

Best regards
Dieter

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back