• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mainland GB late July/early August (1 Viewer)

Gordon

Hi all,

I'm planning a couple of weeks holiday - last week July, 1st week August. At the moment I'm thinking eastern England and/or possibly Wales - but am open to just about any suggestions on the mainland.

In a nutshell I'm looking for suggestions for the best sites to visit at that particular time whether for migrants or not.

many thanks in advance
Gordon

Not wanting to state the obvious but North and east Norfolk and into Suffolk should give you lots to see and any number of sites. They have to be best bet but maybe Dorset or New Forest for Summer Migrants and/or Heathland birds should give you something different from your Scottish regulars etc. Could easily get into Devon and Cornwall for some other summer specials aswell maybe....

Thanks for that Eliter7 - often there's nothing wrong with the obvious. I was actually considering at least spending some time in north Norfolk. Been to most of the "big" sites several times. But I'm a bit lacking in know-how re sites further north on the east coast and was hoping to acquire some gen re the possibilities of possible sites for stop-overs on the way down.

thanks again
Gordon

Hi Gordon
You might want to try stopping over in Yorkshire, there's RSPB Fairburn Ings which is just off the A1 north of the M62, and also the RSPB Old Moor reserve which is between Barnsley and Doncaster, with the Yorkshire wildlife Trust reserve at Potteric Carr at junction 3 on the M18. All these can offer good birding, the Old Moor reserve can also offer decent grub as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back