• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID Help Needed - Oxford (1 Viewer)

Hi all.

Relative birding newbie here, so do excuse me if this is a silly question...

I've posted this in the ID forum, but thought I'd also try the Oxfordshire one.

Although I've been birding for less than a year, I'm super keen and spend a lot of time looking out on my garden and the many various feeders etc. As much as I love it, I very rarely see anything unusual out there.

Today, a bird flew over head that looked like a heron or very large egret but it was very dark, perhaps black, or maybe charcoal grey. it's neck was bent like a heron in flight and it had a very long wing span. I didn't see any other colour other than this black/grey. It also had quite a long beak.

This was just on the edge of Cowley, by the Oxford Business Park. I've looked through my books, but my best match is a juvenile heron, which seems more of a lighter grey than the bird I saw.

Does anyone have an idea what this might have been?

Thanks.

W

Grey herons can seem quite dark in flight, if looking into the light, especially, and wouldn't be unexpected in Cowley, as you're not far from the river.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back