• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon D6 coming in 2019 (1 Viewer)

Let's hope Nikon brings some new quality lenses as well as new cameras for the Tokyo 2020 Olympics. A 500mm f2.8 PF would be nice. :)
That would be nice ! :king:

However with a 178mm dia front element - most likely an aspheric fluorite, and the diffractive lens buried back in the optical train but still around 140~150mm dia, I can guarantee we won't see it for the 2020 Olympics !! ...... maybe in time for my trip to Mars ? |:p|

Chosun :gh:

Last edited:
Another set of rumoured specifications and release now first thing 2020. https://nikonrumors.com/2019/07/03/another-set-of-rumored-nikon-d6-specifications.aspx/

I have to say that this is pretty much exactly what I expected. (still some petrol in the tank). There should be some pretty happy Pro's out there, and this D6 offering looks set to open the wallets of those remnant D3 and D4 users ....

"another set of rumored Nikon D6 DSLR camera specifications:

Potential announcement in early 2020
Prototypes already in testing
Adding sensor stabilization delayed the D6 announcement
The D6 will definitely not be a "hybrid" camera, but rather a DSLR with some mirrorless features (better video, IBIS for example)
Dual CFExpress memory card slots
.76-78x 100% viewfinder
New Expeed dual processors
Better/improved AF than the current D5
Built-in Wi-Fi
3.2 million dot touch screen, with full touch capabilities
Excellent/improved silent shooting modes"

4th Sept - announcement then? - NR. For the price of a small car?
Exciting ! (what is it with this time of year?! :) :cat:
I can only hope it spawns a D6 tech heavy D500S, or D560 or whatever they want to call an upgraded D500 ........
Apparently discounting of the D5 has already begun too.

Exciting ! (what is it with this time of year?! :) :cat:
I can only hope it spawns a D6 tech heavy D500S, or D560 or whatever they want to call an upgraded D500 ........
Apparently discounting of the D5 has already begun too.

If used D5 start to dip into the 2000s, that might be a nice deal.

With the 32MP 90D, Nikon will have to do something to keep up in the high-end crop sensor, though it depends on the AF and IQ of the thing. And the 90d has a small buffer (25 frames @ 10fps vs 200 for the d500, both for raw).

Marc

If used D5 start to dip into the 2000s, that might be a nice deal.

With the 32MP 90D, Nikon will have to do something to keep up in the high-end crop sensor, though it depends on the AF and IQ of the thing. And the 90d has a small buffer (25 frames @ 10fps vs 200 for the d500, both for raw).

Marc
I have heard of emails from NPS saying 40% off - so that's still about $4K US new.

The D6 will have the Sony a9 II and Canon 1DX III to contend with - so will have to be good. With a 24MP sensor they will be just catching up to Sony in that regard, and I think rumours have the a9 II at about 30-36MP ? It will be interesting to see how that part of the game pans out.

The D500 seems to be still waiting for competitors (Fujifilm XT-3 and new Sony 6600 notwithstanding). Nobody seems to have been able to put the whole package together yet. Canon is AWOL with any 7D III for so long now that's it's long suffering customers are beyond depression and are now just mere shells of human beings ! :-O

The IQ of the 90D seems to have underwhelmed the Canonistas. The OOC jpegs seem mushy with the kit lens. To be fair, it is equivalent to 83MP FF and so would need the higher quality L glass to really shine. I think I've lost a measure of enthusiasm for changing over to that body with any of the third party super zoom telephotos. Time and proper tests will tell. I don't really see a need for Nikon to go beyond 26MP for any D500 successor (which would be ~60MP FF anyway).

That's why I'm fingers crossed that Nikon will upgrade the D500 with D6 goodliness (though I wouldn't expect IBIS at that level - the better metering /AF /tracking, fps, and video, and processing would be sufficient) - better to lead the market than try and play catchup. A 600mm f5.6 PF to go along with it could really put bums on seats, and with the FTZ adapter working so well, encourage folks to stick around for the eventual Z bodies.

I'm interested to see how good this D6 will be.

It's going to be a fantastic 12 months for photography gear - especially if CaNikony extend the new Pro offerings to DX level.

Last edited:
I have heard of emails from NPS saying 40% off - so that's still about $4K US new.

The D6 will have the Sony a9 II and Canon 1DX III to contend with - so will have to be good. With a 24MP sensor they will be just catching up to Sony in that regard, and I think rumours have the a9 II at about 30-36MP ? It will be interesting to see how that part of the game pans out.

The D500 seems to be still waiting for competitors (Fujifilm XT-3 and new Sony 6600 notwithstanding). Nobody seems to have been able to put the whole package together yet. Canon is AWOL with any 7D III for so long now that's it's long suffering customers are beyond depression and are now just mere shells of human beings ! :-O

The IQ of the 90D seems to have underwhelmed the Canonistas. The OOC jpegs seem mushy with the kit lens. To be fair, it is equivalent to 83MP FF and so would need the higher quality L glass to really shine. I think I've lost a measure of enthusiasm for changing over to that body with any of the third party super zoom telephotos. Time and proper tests will tell. I don't really see a need for Nikon to go beyond 26MP for any D500 successor (which would be ~60MP FF anyway).

That's why I'm fingers crossed that Nikon will upgrade the D500 with D6 goodliness (though I wouldn't expect IBIS at that level - the better metering /AF /tracking, fps, and video, and processing would be sufficient) - better to lead the market than try and play catchup. A 600mm f5.6 PF to go along with it could really put bums on seats, and with the FTZ adapter working so well, encourage folks to stick around for the eventual Z bodies.

I'm interested to see how good this D6 will be.

It's going to be a fantastic 12 months for photography gear - especially if CaNikony extend the new Pro offerings to DX level.

I think that going beyond 24MP in a crop sensor will not make some people happy, as they will expect to shoot f/8 or f/11 at their handheld shutter speeds, and at 83MP equivalent, that is just not going to fly even if you have excellent glass. The 90D, by my estimation, will start to be diffraction limited by f/6.3 (for a 100% crop), though for a typical print it might go out to f/16. Whereas a d850 will go out to f/9 for a 100% crop before showing diffraction limits.

Likewise, for a full frame like the d6, 24MP is where you hit f/11 for a 100% crop for f/22 for a typical print. I suspect that has something to do with the D6 being 24 instead of 32. It will be interesting to see if the A9II goes beyond 24.

Lloyd Chambers has been doing a lot of focus stacking experiments, and he seems to be convinced that for high-MP sensors you need stacking to get DoF as they are so diffraction limited.

Marc

Leaks ahead of tonight's 'development announcement'

It seems those clever viral marketers have been at it again (unless it really was another genuine whoopsie! :) , with part of the marketing briefly posted by Nikon Europe and Nikon Life before being taken down.
https://nikonrumors.com/2019/09/03/...camera-development-announcement-tonight.aspx/

The takeaway from these snippets seems to be an emphasis on "Sports Photojournalism" ...... just the thing for the 2020 Olympics ! :-O

From this I gather the D6 will be a further evolution of the D5's strengths - all light (especially low) capture of fast moving subjects. It will be interesting to see how much detail we actually get tonight .... :cat:

And ..... especially don't buy a Sony a9 II ....... !!!!! :king:

Actually I think the 120-300mm would be a good reason to swap to Nikon if you already shoot Sony...

For some sport and news shooters this will be a very useful lens, if it's not too (front)heavy.

:t:

Actually I think the 120-300mm would be a good reason to swap to Nikon if you already shoot Sony...

For some sport and news shooters this will be a very useful lens, if it's not too (front)heavy.

:t:
Yes, a very astute product to pair up with F mount Pro gear - as long as it balances like you said, and they need to get nearer to 2kg rather than 3 ..... it will be interesting to see where it lands. It has FL glass so that should help.

Canon announced development of digital SLR camera "EOS-1D X Mark III" today so Nikon D6 can't be far away. :)

Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 120-300mm F/2.8E FL ED SR VR Lens To Be Released Soon ......

Dec ? or Jan ? ...... ?
I'm very interested to see what the weight of this thing comes in at .....
I also followed the glossary link but am still none the wiser as to what 'SR' is ? - maybe a performance characteristic rather than a lens or glass type ?
The D6 also can't be far behind ?? :)
https://nikonrumors.com/2019/12/03/...8e-fl-ed-sr-vr-lens-to-be-released-soon.aspx/

Nikon recently got a patent [1] on a variable power lens with a mechanism to correct chromatic aberration and coma. Perhaps it is related to this?

marc

By configuring the variable power optical system ZL of this embodiment in this way, excellent optical performance can be implemented with bright lenses having small (or bright) F numbers. In other words, the intermediate group G3 b of the third lens group G3 is constituted by four lenses having a symmetric structure (positive, negative, negative, positive), whereby spherical aberration, curvature of field, and coma aberration can be corrected well while keeping the F numbers small for high brightness.​

[1] https://patents.google.com/patent/US20190353881A1

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back