• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

x32 SF (1 Viewer)

Jan, sorry if I misquoted you or at least misinterpreted what you wrote. This is what you said on 31 Dec.: "I have full confidence that we finally will see the 32SF coming year". Here is the post: https://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=3941205&postcount=77

Coming from a person of authority like yourself I interpreted it was a sure thing.

When Prime Ministers say they have 'full confidence' in a colleague it is usual for the colleague to disappear from office soon afterwards :eek!:
Lets hope Jan is right. We have been waiting long enough.

Bino brands like to launch new models at important events and we have two events coming up that are candidates: IWA in March and Bird Fair in August.

Lee

Hi Temmie,

Thanks for the laughs.
There are three major events to launch a new model and the Shot Show is one of them. I have seen a teaser from Zeiss regarding a new thermal device that will be launched soon but nothing that looks like a SF32.
Still I have full confidence that in one of those two remaining events it will pop up.
How to interpret the Zeiss US language version of "coming soon".......

Jan

I have been told by a variety of reps and other interested parties for around 4 years to expect the 32mm 'soon'. I now suspect that the purpose of a rep is to tell you what they think you want to hear.
That the FL 32mm was the only one of the range to remain in production tells a story of sorts.

I have been told by a variety of reps and other interested parties for around 4 years to expect the 32mm 'soon'. I now suspect that the purpose of a rep is to tell you what they think you want to hear.

Either that or they are kept in the dark as well. At least in the case of Leica that seems quite plausible. After all, I was told by a representative in early December that they'd "of course" sell the Retrovid though all the usual dealers ...3:)

That the FL 32mm was the only one of the range to remain in production tells a story of sorts.

Yep. The 8x32 FL is a pretty hard act to follow. It's small, light, has a fairly wide field of view and it optically still competitive after all those years.

Hermann

Yes, I saw the literature in public domain and I believe they are true.
But I don't know if I should post them in full cos it contains not only all the technical stats but also straight forward comparision with Swaro and Leica counterparts.
BTW I don't think it's funny to say corona-land, people are dying.

Last edited:
Please share what you can.
Will they be made in China?

And all the best to the ones suffering from the disease. It's a global topic for sure.

Yes, I saw the literature in public domain and I believe they are true.
But I don't know if I should post them in full cos it contains not only all the technical stats but also straight forward comparision with Swaro and Leica counterparts.
BTW I don't think it's funny to say corona-land, people are dying.

Good gawd ! :eek!:

Tell me this triple bridge monstrosity is an April 1st gee up or something ! Where on earth do your fingers go ? It looks like it was designed for Alex Brooker as his personal bin ! Ugh !

I like the Fov's ..... the weight - not so much .....

Chosun :gh:

I think it looks pretty much okay. And I'm picky. At least no fancy curves and no "design art". Plain forward. Good.

I think it looks pretty much okay. And I'm picky. At least no fancy curves and no "design art". Plain forward. Good.
It might 'look' okay - but I question how it will work.
Already with the Swarovski x32, I am like a praying mantis trying to peel a grain of rice ! :eek!: :-O

I bet Zeiss will price this well north of just 'okay'.

To me, in a smaller size bin, the ergonomics of the Nikon MHG are the answer - there is no need to ask further questions. If true, this is Zeiss Marketing gone mad ...... again ! :brains:

Yep. The 8x32 FL is a pretty hard act to follow. It's small, light, has a fairly wide field of view and it optically still competitive after all those years.

Hermann

Competitive? Yes. However it resembles a small crustacean and has poor eye relief! ;-)

-Bill

It might 'look' okay - but I question how it will work.
Already with the Swarovski x32, I am like a praying mantis trying to peel a grain of rice ! :eek!: :-O

I bet Zeiss will price this well north of just 'okay'.

To me, in a smaller size bin, the ergonomics of the Nikon MHG are the answer - there is no need to ask further questions. If true, this is Zeiss Marketing gone mad ...... again ! :brains:

Chosun, I agree the MHG is a great size and ergo-friendly package for a full-size bin. This new Zeiss appears to be leveraging 'identity' with the focuser arrangement. But there is also more than a passing resemblance to it's Austrian cousin.

Weight is ballpark good, and the graphics are claiming a similar balance point of its larger sibling. Field of View is interesting, especially if its well corrected... Looks like no room for objective caps, so you'll get the one piece affair that stays in the case.

If they want to sell them like hotcakes, they'll price them a hair below the Swaro.

Bill

Attachments

• z.832.v.s.jpg
    z.832.v.s.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 183
Last edited:
Two things in the specs stood out to me.

Firstly, the ratio of AFOV (presumably measured) to TFOV suggests a mustache distortion profile nearly identical to the 8x42 SF, so the panning behavior will probably have a very similar Globe Effect.

Secondly, the light transmission spec seems oddly low. Why is the 8x42 SF spec 92% while the 8x32, with HT glass, the same prism and coatings and no more glass to air surfaces, only 90%?

After a few months you will be able to pick them up at Sport Optics for about $2.2K. I see several advantages over the SV's. Better focuser location, a smoother faster focuser, better balance so they will feel lighter, way bigger FOV, less Globe Effect, probably better glare control based on past experience and standard strap lugs instead of Field Pro. If they price them less than SV's it would be a no brainer to buy the Zeiss. Get your SV's on Ebay before the market crashes. The SF 8x32 should be a damn nice birding binocular. I'm all in.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back