• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Oxfordshire/Berkshire - Caversham Lakes/Henley GPs (1 Viewer)

Guizotia

Can anyone tell me where you park and walk for Henley Road GPs and Sonning Eye GP?

I drove around there (the Caversham Lakes road to the marina and from the roundabout to Sonning Eye) but couldn't see where to park and where was permissible to walk, or any footpaths at all of any note.

Hi Guizotia,

Access isn't particularly easy for the lakes!

For Sonning Eye, turn in at the roundabout at SU751761 and park opposite the gated entrance track to the sailing club. You can then walk down the road to the sailing club and view the lake. There are muddy paths of sorts to beyond the sailing club and this is where the best birds often are. (It's had Lesser and Greater Scaup and Red-necked Grebe in recent winters).

Henley Road pit is most easily viewed from the layby off the marina access road at SU738753. Smew can often be seen from here (although I couldn't find any yesterday). You can walk the northern edge from here.

There is no access to the works area and watch out for the lorries on the access road, although the drivers are very friendly and careful.

There is no public access to the rowing centre but I think you can drive down to the marina.

Hope this helps,

Robin

Hi there,

I'm trying to find out which Counties still use the Watsonian Vice County system to record birds in and which go by whatever the political boundary may change to (and why).

The Watsonian Vice County system was set to accurately record and compare historical and modern data and it seems that there can be/is confusion when some counties no longer use this system whilst others do. Does anyone in your county have a view on this ? Discussion here if anyone has a comment:

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=142074

ps this is not about getting more or less county ticks, more a question about uniformity in recording.

Johnny Allan

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back