• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ravens (1 Viewer)

Hi everyone,

I'm new here so please be gentle! A little about me - I'm 25, from Wigston, been a wildlife enthusiast since early childhood, have been a birder since my teens (my dad was a keen birder). I go out walking and watching casually - with plenty going on (I'm a keen cyclist and spend a lot of time maintaining my pro-cycling blog, + work, + Just got married amongst other things) I don't spend as much time in the field as I should or would like! I'm an expert on nothing, an enthusiast on some things but a continuing 'learner' on everything.

I've decided to take it upon myself to document the spread of Ravens into our county, hoping to build up a more detailed picture of population figures, habitats, nest sites but it's tough work going solo and I can't be everywhere at once. I have spoken with both the BTO and LROS who have been helpful so far and the BTO especially are interested in my findings. I intend to dedicate a certain amount of time to this over the next three years or so and the Leicester Mercury recently printed a news story in an effort to drum up some public attention and to get people to contact me with possible sightings etc which are all to be plotted on maps and such like. The article is here: http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/Help-chart-raven-s-renaissance/story-19511345-detail/story.html (yes, the Mercury ironically printed a picture of a Rook, which wasn't the best start I'll admit)

Basically I'm hoping if anybody comes across Ravens in the county they will post up here, and if anybody knows of any good sites to see them and gather more information please let me know!

Nice to meet you all and I hope to contribute on this forum as much as possible.

Thanks,

Gavin

Hi Gavin

I have seen Ravens at Beacon Hill

Thanks for the first reply! :t:

I know others that say Beacon Hill is a pretty regular spot for Ravens though strangely enough I've never seen one up there!

Thanks for the Info and positive ID, I'll add it to the map!

Thanks,

Gav

Just a quick update on this.

There is now a dedicated website for the survey which will be updated with any news and developments. Visitors can also report sightings using the form on the right hand side and the data will be uploaded to the survey!

I know many on here already upload their data to birdtrack (which is fantastic!) but I would really appreciate it if anybody wants to take time out to visit the site and upload their Raven sightings!

The website is here: http://www.leicestershireravensurvey.co.uk/

Thanks everyone!

Gavin

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back