• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fieldfares. (1 Viewer)

Wendy Morris

I realise that many of you have already seen fieldfares this winter, but this morning was my first sighting. Walking the dogs, I saw all the usual suspects through the village and down the lane to the fields...sparrow, blackies, robins, starlings etc. Next came a flock of LTTs and a wren, followed by a very noisy jay. Dozens of woodies were next on the list and then came the unmistakable sound of the fieldfares. The flock must have been 100 strong, and no doubt there were other visiting thrushes amongst the crowd, but they flew past so quickly that I didn`t have the chance to check. Also, trying to keep watch on the antics of two very active dogs did not help!

A delightful autumnal walk in glorious sunshine with two happy companions and not a drop of rain in sight!

Oh how lovely, Wendy. That must have been some sight! Glad you enjoyed your walk.

You have a great place to go for walks Wendy by the sound of it! So many birds and the icing on the cake with the Fieldfares, and your two four-legged companions of course :t:

Hi Wendy

I've also seen the first flocks of fieldfare flying over a couple of weeks ago. There must have been about 25 + birds. They settled in a tree a few gardens down from mine and I managed to see them with my bins. I have not seen any more since then. Last year I had a flock settling in next doors apple tree so I'm hoping that I might be lucky again this year.

So far no sightings yet of redwings although I have heard them call during the evening. I always get redwings visiting as I have a very tall holly tree in the garden which again is heavy with berries. I'm keeping my eyes peeled!. ;)

Happy birdies, Liebchen

Hi Wendy,

I had my first sighting of Fieldfares last Winter, around a dozen or so at some distance and not in good light. However, like you, I had my first great 'wow' sighting of a large group, at least 30-40 today, taking off from a field and in full flight, close amazing view of these lovely Winter migrants and where was I? Passenger in the car as they took to flight and flew alongside the car for a short distance just inside the stone dyke of the field, absolutely beautiful! And I was just completely in awe and so excited!

After all this time traipsing about with the binos the moral of the story is..run around in the car! ;)

Hi all,

There`s something about a large flock of birds that fascinates as much as seeing a singleton of a less common species. What always amazes me is how in tune they are with each other`s movements, almost as if someone is giving orders!

May be able to get a dog-free walk in today as OH is at home. Much as I love taking the dogs, they do preclude much in the way of serious birding!

Hi Wendy What a fantastic experience that was, your right a large flock is always a super sight great, Ive never seen that many fieldfares together at all, usually in dozens here. But so far this year I havent seen one as yet, so lucky you. Well done.

Good Birding Peter

Hi Wendy & All,
Ooooh Wendy, how lovely! I've never seen a Fieldfare, nor a Jay!and only ever one Redwing, and that was a couple of years ago!! |=(| There again, I don't get out and about much so I only get to see what comes to me!!
All the Best Wendy & All,
Judo.

We've just been out for a walk around our local mere and saw a flock of Redwings and Fieldfares!!!
We heard the Fieldfares first but with a bit of patience were able to spot them high up in the trees!
Also 3 beautiful female Goosanders on the mere itself,looking wonderful with their redheads shining in the glorious sunshine!
I'm thrilled to bits!!! :bounce:
Best wishes,

Good for you Ruth! I`ve never knowingly seen a goosander, your mention sent me scurrying to my bird book, they are seriously smart, aren`t they?

Judo..when we lived in mid Bucks, in the middle of a 50 acre field, our garden was an oasis for feeding the birds and we regularly had jays visiting as there was a line of substantial deciduous trees, mainly beech and oak, around the bottom edge of the field. As wary birds, they tended to visit when it was quiet and the merest hint of the starling mob sent them on their way! Perhaps you will get lucky this winter.

Wendy Morris said:
Good for you Ruth! I`ve never knowingly seen a goosander, your mention sent me scurrying to my bird book, they are seriously smart, aren`t they?
Beautiful wendy....it's quite made my day!! :bounce:

I saw my first ever Fieldfares on Sunday (just figured it out from the calls lol)! There was a huge flock of them flying around where I go horseriding!

Hi Wendy & All,
Wow! What a fantastic treat Wendy, that really must have been a great sight to see.
Sorry to say I'm with Judo, but I cant even add the Redwing!!!

Well done with the Goosanders Ruth, Ive picked them as my "Bird of the day"

Bye for now

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back