• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Injured Crow (1 Viewer)

Huginn

Hello! A child living in the neighboring apartment brought a small crow to me yesterday, saying it fell out of its nest, and I would like some information on how to deal with it. I AM aware it is illegal to keep crows as pets in my country and fully intend to release it once it is capable of flight.

The bird appears otherwise healthy aside from what seems to be an injured leg preventing it from standing. It refuses to move its left leg and it seems incapable of gripping anything with it, it just keeps it tucked up close to its body or holds it with its right leg. It's only about a 1/3 of the size of the other crows nearby and is fully feathered along its wings and head but still has fluffy down feathers across its lower back (I'm estimating it to be about 2-3 weeks old but I'm probably wrong). Its wings don't seem damaged and it uses them together with its uninjured right leg to move itself around the large box I'm keeping it in for the time being.

So far I've been giving it fresh water every couple hours and feeding it a mixture of hard boiled egg yolks, oatmeal, and some canned dog food as per the instructions of a couple other websites, but I would like to know if there's something I should be doing differently and if there's anything I can do to speed the recovery of its leg.

I've added a couple photos of the bird for reference, if it helps.

20140516_122221.jpg

20140516_122211.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back